Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 55 Bel Air / Street Machine

This thread and the other one caused me to dig out the one I've been building "at" for decades and take another look at it. 

Wow, this body needs a lot of work. The whole front end is more wrong than right. But I'm now in the mood to drive on and hopefully drag it across the finish line. 

Besides the box art build,  I built this one too. Originally as a commissioned build, it started out stock. Later it was traded to me in exchange for another build. Got bored and gave it a makeover. Besides the issues mentioned previously, I think the roof crown is a little lacking.

IMG_9079rt-vi.jpg

IMG_9074rt-vi.jpg

12 hours ago, Dave Darby said:

Besides the issues mentioned previously, I think the roof crown is a little lacking.

I hadn't noticed that, but you might be right. 

The one I'm working on, sometimes it looks to me like the top has been chopped maybe 1" or 1/2" at the front (A-pillars). And then I look at it closely and the "chop" goes away. Some kind of optical illusion. Maybe your roof crown thing has something to do with it. :wacko:

14 hours ago, Dave Darby said:

Besides the box art build,  I built this one too. Originally as a commissioned build, it started out stock. Later it was traded to me in exchange for another build. Got bored and gave it a makeover. Besides the issues mentioned previously, I think the roof crown is a little lacking.

IMG_9079rt-vi.jpg

IMG_9074rt-vi.jpg

That is exactly how I remember the Tri-fives looking.   

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Here are the tires included with the most recent reissue:

1948425116_PXL_20210221_1700092982.jpg.9f7cd2bc8f02af03493b2ee413d109d7.jpg

976645098_PXL_20210221_1659525562.jpg.15f52e0976852687b8a17c5804326907.jpg

The blackwall tires appear to be blank Goodyear Polyglas GT tires in two sizes, and the wide whitewalls have Firestone Gum Dipped in raised letters on the opposite side. 

The two five-spoke American Torq Thrust D style wheels are again included, as are the Centerline style optional wheels, but those are getting kind of sloppy. Looks like the mold is worn or pitted around those wheels. 😕