Model Cars Magazine Forum

Red Runner 32 Ford cabriolet

Mr. Metallic

31:484485331181 16:484485376296

This project started with an engine, or more specifically, an induction setup. I've seen pictures of the Frenzel and McCulloch superchargers from the 30's and have wanted to replicate one of them for awhile. During various trips through the parts box I saw pieces I thought I could make work. Well, one day I just sat down and tried it. It's not a replica of either design, but there were quite a few others floating around during the same time period. I had an engine, but had to figure out what to put it in. I've had the Replicas and Miniatures of Md 32 Cabriolet body for quite some time, so I decided now would be the perfect time to use it. So, the Red Runner was born

The entire intake is made from parts box parts, but the blower housing is from the AMT 57 Ford. It's all mounted to a Revell 37 Ford pickup engine. The pulleys are from Model Car Garage. I made the mounting bracket for the generator. I took the set of Edelbrock heads from the Revell 32 sedan and turned them into dual plug heads. Dual plugs means dual distributors, so I made a mount to hold two distributors from Rep+Min. I made the ignition tubes from aluminum. Lots of wires...

40:484485400328 21:484485381103

The interior is from the Revell 32 5window. The seat and steering wheel are from the Revell 29 A roadster. Dash is from the 37 pickup also. The under dash heater box is from the Revell 40 Ford. I made the steering column, and custom mixed the paint color from Vallejo paints.

33:484485393530 45:484485405545

The frame is the cleaned up version from Rep+Min, with suspension parts from the Monogram 32 roadster (former Lil Deuce) I made the exhaust from parts box headers and the aluminum and plastic tubing. Wheels and tires are both from Rep+Min

09:484485309873

Windshield was chopped slightly. Trunklid is hinged to open. Hood is from the Monogram 32. Headlights are from the Revell 30 phaeton. Aluminum spreader bars on both ends. I also scratchbuilt/kitbashed the folding mechanism for the convertible top. Photoetch grille from Machined Aluminum Specialties mounted in a hollowed out kit shell.

50:484485470514 57:484485417560 31:484485451927

26:484485446596 12:484485432605

Thanks for looking.

Beautifully unusual. Great assembly of unique parts. Well engineered engine. You brought everything together to make one extremely appealing Deuce very well presented with photos and descriptions.

Edited by Phildaupho

Well, because a canvas top would be the same color inside and out. Canvas doesn't have two different colors on two sides.

Look inside some older Mercedessssessses if you wanna see just one example of a full stitched and fitted headliner inside a canvas top. Different color, different material.

You could do it on any top if you wanted to spend the coin. One of the '32s that came out of Mills' shop while i worked there had a full headliner on a convertible top, and the Carson top on the '32 he's finishing up for Hetfield has a full headliner too. 

This is a Rolls, but I've seen similar in Mercs too.

IMG_1233.JPG

Yeah, a Mercedes would have an interior liner. Not a typical Ford hot rod. And in any case, the interior framework and top bows wouldn't be white.

But yeah, if you say this is a "custom" top, then anything goes, I guess.

Believe it or not...really, really...honest...the previous owner of the '47 Caddy convert I did recently had the top bows chromed. Yuck.

This '32 Ford cabriolet, owned by Coleman Castellaw (originally built in '63 and known as the Quincy Auto Parts car) was completed by Mills Customs while I was there. You can see it has a contrasting center headliner panel, and pleated white pillars...fully fitted, stitched, etc.

1932-ford-cabriolet.jpg

Well, because a canvas top would be the same color inside and out. Canvas doesn't have two different colors on two sides.

A Hot Rod of this level, could very easily have an inner liner, padded headliner, what is represented here is a very high end Hot Rod; therefore could have had such an interior modification.  White wold have brightened up the interior at night, in a car which likely would only have instrument lights and the moon for interior illumination.  Very handy for watching submarine racing!

Nice job, never seen dual plugs on a flathead, doesn't mean that such a modification didn't exist as its a very plausible idea. Nice choice on the paint, artillery wheels look great too.