Model Cars Magazine Forum

Oval track-non-NASCAR?

Anyone have some oval track modifieds and Late Models ... replicas or fictional?  Attached is one of mine, built back in '74-5 of Stan Wetmore's Lebanon Valley Speedway coach bodied modified.  this started out as a Palmer 1/32 '40 Ford sedan.  Chassis is scratchbuilt from Evergreen tube.  I've built my share of 1/25 models since the first 3-n-1 kits were introduced in the late 1950's but I always liked 1/32 which is what I started out with in the mid-1950's.  Adding a photo of the Wetmore car that I copied ... picture from the Lebanon Valley, NY warm-up prior to the season opener when the car was new in '73.  (not my photo)  That was the first time I saw the car, and started the model not long afterwards.  

Joel

#73.jpg

Stan Wetmore coach 1973.jpg

Edited by Joel Naprstek

Here's a fictional mid-1970's dirt sportsman car, 1/25 scale, that I built back around 1973-4 ... idea was to build a car like I'd liked to have built a real one then.   AMT '37 Chevy kit, small block Ford motor, three MPC LM kit tires, Evergreen tubing roll cage, bars and headers.  Photographed outdoors using a home made pinhole lens, pre-digital camera days.  Built a small diorama for a photo setting.  Shoulda added lug nuts and bolts to that left front  ... ;-)

Joel

#88.jpg

Edited by Joel Naprstek

I built this fictional AMT 40 around 1980 or so from memory...long before the internet.

More recently:

This one is fictional

This one a representation of a real 1:1

And a 1:64 diecast conversion

All inspired by my youthful visits to the long gone but not forgotten Islip Speedway, Long Island NY.

Nice stuff fellas ... thanks for sharing.

Here's a couple of really basic models that I built in '63-4 ... both 1/32 scale ... both simple replicas of real cars that ran the NY-NJ-PA modified circuits back then.  PeeWee Griffin's Ford bodied coupe and Rags Carter/Harold Cope #1.  The #72 was the first car that PeeWee came north with in 1964.  The #72 started from a Pyro 40 Ford kit, the #1 from a Pryo '37 Chevy kit.

Joel

PeeWee-Rags 001.jpg

Nice work Mike, Michael, and Ray ... thanks for sharing your models.  

Here's a build that I've had "in progress" since 1975 ... hahaha ... 1/32 scale Evergreen tube fabricated Profile chassis, Pinto body started as a Revell 1/32 Javelin and the tires came from a 1/32 Porsche kit (AMT or something).  It is to be a replica of Chuck Ely's Tremont #115 Lebanon Valley Regular.  Motor, now lost was from a Lindberg 1/32 hot rod kit.  

Joel

IMG_3695.JPG

IMG_3696.JPG

IMG_3693.JPG

Chuck Ely 1974_0001.jpg

Thanks for sharing Bruce ... I always liked that orange-yellow color for dirt track mods and LM cars ...  like you have on the #18 coupe.

Joel 

Thanks for sharing Bruce ... I always liked that orange-yellow color for dirt track mods and LM cars ...  like you have on the #18 coupe.

Joel 

I am sorry the pics did not show up , I just posted my usual way but sometimes this site seems to have a mind of its own ( but I still think it is a great site ) .

I am sorry the pics did not show up , I just posted my usual way but sometimes this site seems to have a mind of its own ( but I still think it is a great site ) .

No sweat Bruce ... for some reason I was able to see all of the links today ... nice work!  

Joel