Model Cars Magazine Forum

Oval track-non-NASCAR?

Those are nice!

How much scratch building did they take?

Thanks James.  Varying degrees on the scratchbuilding, the #73 has a complete Evergreen plastic tube chassis but a Palmer '40 Ford sedan body narrowed, sectioned etc.  Hood came from a model airplane fuselage.  Most all have scratchbuilt bumpers and roll cages, but kit bodies with trimmed and cut down kit chassis.  Wheels & tires are widened kit tires from various sources.  Some body parts are sheet plastic.  All are hand lettered.  Attached is an unfinished model of Eddie Mann's late 1960's modified.  Kit body, cut down kit chassis, scratch bars, cage and bumpers.  Pyro 1/32 scale '40 Ford coupe and chassis.  The sedan, ... an unfinished replica of Frankie Schnieder's late 1960's sedan started out as a Palmer '40 Ford sedan.  Body modified to look like a GM sedan, narrowed etc.  Roll cage is plastic tubing.  

Joel

IMG_3689.JPG

IMG_3690.JPG

IMG_3686.JPG

IMG_3687.JPG

It is so nice to see these short track cars.  I have some good memories of going to the various tracks in New England with my father & cousins.  Hope to build a model of one of the cars in the future.  Great work guys.

It is so nice to see these short track cars.  I have some good memories of going to the various tracks in New England with my father & cousins.  Hope to build a model of one of the cars in the future.  Great work guys.

Sounds like a lot of us Ed.  Why not research and build one of your favorites from those early days at the track?  Here's one of my favorites from 1963 ... the #1 Harold Cope owned/built that Bob Malzahn drove here in the NY-NJ-PA region.  The super mod is a fictional car.  My apologies for the poor quality photo ... I was a young teenager with a cheap camera back then.  I made a passable version of a '37 Ford coupe using a '40 Ford roof, a '36 body and fenders with molded in '40 Ford headlights.  

Joel

1963-4_0001.jpg

Bob Malzahn-Cope #1 coupe-2.jpg

Edited by Joel Naprstek

The only one I have based on a real car I found in an old yellow page directory.  I delivered newspapers to this place of business when I was a kid, so I had to build it.  All the rest of my cars in the previous post are pure fiction.

image.jpeg

Hey James2,

your models are great. Especially the #4 Kodak Funsaver Camaro. This model blows me away since i saw it the first time in the workbench section. One of the coolest racecarmodels ever !! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Edited by Michael F

Hey James2,

your models are great. Especially the #4 Kodak Funsaver Camaro. This model blows me away since i saw it the first time in the workbench section. One of the coolest racecarmodels ever !! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Thanks so much Michael, I really enjoyed building that one! I have a few pieces left to do one more of those early Camaro's...

I know this isn't the art thread but here's two art assignments that I did for an upcoming event that should be of interest to all here.  The oval image will be a give away poster to all attending the autograph session on the 4th.  There will also be a large 3ft banner of the poster given away to one lucky number found in the night's program.  The second piece is the event promo/advertising card that I did for the event.

Many vintage oval track cars on display and the track, many former drivers and crew in attendance also.  I hope to see some of you there!

Joel

www.JFNStudios.net 

2016 Nost Night Poster-letter size-watermark.jpg

OCFS Nostalgia Night promo 4x6.jpg

Some interesting and great models here, variety too.  Thanks to all for sharing.    Here's another shot of some of my 1/32 scale efforts.  The #24 is a never completed replica of the Stan Ploski-Ken Brenn coupe, made from a '36 Ford coupe kit.  The other is another angle on the Stan Wetmore #73.  Both were done back around '74-5.  

Joel

models.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Here's another 1/32 scale model that I built back in the late 1980's.  At the time I didn't have enough reference to build a replica so I did a fictional car based on what information and pictures I did have.  The model started out as a Revell 1/32 scale snapkit.  There's no engine in it ... I actually just wanted to build it for a diorama that I built and to photgraph it.  A few years later I also used the model photos after I'd come across some better reference material to paint a picture of Curtis Turner and Joe Weatherly in their 1957 Ford NASCAR Convertible Division cars.

The model was hand lettered (the logo decals are Fred Cady); model railroad boltheads, screen, Evergreen tubing and sheet plastic used, wheels and tires are from a Palmer 1940 Ford kid.  Paint is airpbrush.  It was photographed using a homemade pinhole lens on a 35mm camera.  

Joel 

#75-1.jpg

AAA-1 model.jpg

AAA-2 model.jpg

model2.jpg