Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1972 Chevy Fleetside Rebuild

Bought for around £1 from my favourite ebay UK, this was an already started and abandoned build. As it seemed to be hand painted with a few Mickey Mouse decals I got the oven cleaner to it!

It came without wheels/ytres/engine and a few other bits. So as I had it handy I'm rebuiding it as a duallie, after finding 6 tyres from my bins.

1_zpsk3acr28m.jpg

2%20paint%20stripped_zpsdzq2vchy.jpg

After cleaning up! I rebuilt the cab

4%20interior%20re-installed_zpsixrobgdd.

7_zpsrjpdlmzi.jpg

I made inner wings for the duallies.................

9%20new%20duallie%20wings_zpsj1kbgbmz.jp

I test fitted the rear deck.........

13_zpsc7jaa9wo.jpg

And have plastic bottle tops to make wider inner tubs if I need to................

12%20possible%20new%20inner%20tubs_zpssu

Edited by PatW

Thanks guys, so three more pics..........

Firstly the wheels are on.....................

Secondly the dually bed is built, using also filler panels over the wheel arches..

and thirdly a test fit of the bed on the chassis...........

Nice save on an old kit. 

Not to be critical, but from my perspective that bed looks over sized compared to the cab. Not sure if you can cut it down a bit to be closer in scale to the cab. And I am sure you realized that the bed is from a '90's model Dodge and has slightly different body lines than that '70's model GM truck.

Yes Mike your right on both counts, but I build as I see, I'm not bothered about scales or ages of vehicles. If real I would buy one that's why I model to see what I would like to build if it was real. Although as a 1:1 I can't buy one here in the UK.

Artwork on cab and chrome interior to pickup bed and some sort of net to stop things falling out...................

34_zpsyxjq19xs.jpg

The tape on the screen, when sprayed with dullcoate will give the impression of one wiper working.

38_zpsuhukw7bc.jpg

My own jury is out on the paint/artwork on the cab, it might well change on Monday! I've got Practice 3 and Qualifying for the F1 Spanish GP tomorrow and the race on Sunday to see first before I venture out into my cabin again.

Edited by PatW

Pat,

I like this project and your build philosophy !

The bed might well look a bit oversize if installed on that year truck. i think it looks good. like someone had an old truck and needed a bed. Went to the salvage yard and got a deal on the newer style bed.

Be Well

Gator

• 4 weeks later...

Strange when ever there's a comment about the two different scales it gets deleted. My comment about the size it was deleted. There was a comment from another member about the two different scales and it got deleted. The comment from mikemodler will it be deleted also. 

Patrick,

A right nice job on this project ! I think the new dually bed needs a bit more wear and tear. If it is to have come from the scrappers yard ?

I do like the multi colored cab. That looks the part .

Be Well

Gator

I see this kind of thing all the time. The truck box rusts and rots away to nothing, so an owner grabs a box of some kind from a wrecking yard.

Not my taste, but it somehow works. I really like the paint finish on the cab. 

Do you know if both kits you used were 1/25? The truck box does look like a different scale, looks physically larger. Or maybe that's just the difference from a 60s truck to a 90s truck. Vehicles are definitely getting bigger, so that could be it too.

:)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...