Model Cars Magazine Forum

Desert Corvair

chunkypeanutbutter

A quick "hammer-together" build of a few nights. I started with the reissued AMT '69 Corvair. It was originally going to be an SCCA racer, but I painted the body in a Rustoleum texture rust paint kit and a little weathering chalk sealed with Rustall #3 Dead Flat as a test body. Then it went in the box again due to a lost engine and lost motivation.

Fast forward to last week. Whilst looking for wheels, I found this again. I decided on finishing it quick and dirty. Front and rear bumpers were cast away, the right headlight bucket was taken off and replaced with a single light, and the rear tires were upgraded to Goodyear Polyglas units. Every wheel is different. The fronts are from the kit, the rear right is from the Lindberg '34 Ford Pickup, and the left rear is from the AMT Deora. The interior is actually from an original issue buildup my father did, weathered with white and grey charcoals and equipped with the custom steering wheel. The body is painted, as detailed before, in a Rustoleum rust kit, which may be discontinued. It was weathered further with dark and light rust powders and Rustall #4 Ground Silt around the lower body as any "desert rat" would be.

Here's what I'm blathering about.

A few nights of here-and-there work and some neatly cut corners result in this model which looks great on the shelf.

Questions, comments, criticisms welcome.

Looks good enough for me also for the shelf. I myself get tired of the you should have wired this, foiled that, where your mirrors,etc.. Build and display as you like without taking the fun out of your build.

I guess we all have different standards. But the OP clearly stated "Questions, comments, criticisms welcome."

If you don't like my comment, no problem. It wasn't meant for you.

Must agree, needs foil trim. I see lots of sixties vintage cars in primer, but rarely do they not still have exposed stainless trim.
Spike Lee called. Said "Do The Right Thing."