Model Cars Magazine Forum

Favorite British band

Harry P.

Ok, let's take on the 800 pound gorilla in the room. We've talked about Canadian bands, Australian bands, European bands (but specifically not British)... so let's go.

We can start by eliminating the obvious. Beatles. Stones. Zeppelin. Floyd. Everyone likes those bands.

There... that thins it out a bit. But still so many English bands to consider. For me, aside from the "Big Four," I like several, including the Hollies. Many of you may recognize this as a Linda Rondstadt tune, but this is the original...

I'm British by birth born in '55 so grew up listening to lots of great bands live and on vinyl.  Where do I start?  I'll suggest some less well known bands - Dr Feelgood, Sex Pistols, The Stranglers, The Sensational Alex Harvey Band, Stereophonics, The Editors, Echo & The Bunnymen and Home.

Put me down for Mott the Hoople.

I saw Queen supporting Mott the Hoople at Leeds Town Hall in 1973 - great gig!

More collaboration than single band was Vindaloo Summer Special. The lineup featured comedian Ted Chippington (really funny), The Nightingales and We Got a Fuzzbox and We're Gonna Use It. They recorded a song "Rockin' With Rita (Head to Toe). It's a plain old fun tune, perfect for beach parties. :)

Ok, this one is a judgement call. Started out 100% British, but with the addition of Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham in the mid '70s, they were down to 3/5 British. But at least the Fleetwood and the Mac parts (Mick Fleetwood, John and Christine McVie) were still British!