Model Cars Magazine Forum

Since I built the AMT '57 Cameo, I got the bug for building a black '55 step-side. 

When I was doing reserach to build the Cameo, I found this pictures:

1955 Chevrolet Pickup WIP. by Túlio Lazzaroni, on Flickr

Now that's a classy Chevy!!

I had this kit:

And that would be the ideal base to build a truck just like the real one. That was until I found out the kit couldn't be built stock... I just HATE kits that can't be build stock.

So I made a couple of calls to friends, and from the parts boxes of two of them, came the parts to make the '55 stock:

I'll try to cast resin copies of the AMT Firestone Deluxe Champions for my models, and the first ones will be for this truck. Will try to make the whitewall a separate piece, so it's more simple to detail.

Anyway, my first job was to paint the body and interior. This is already done:

The frame has a lot of mold lines to sand... up to that now.

Thanks guys!!

Looks good so far. However, if you're going for factory stock, the interior should be beige with either dark brown or black on the dash top. That was the only interior option for pickups in '55, except for the Cameo.

Thanks!! I couldn't find a single sure source on the subject of the interior, so, like the interior of the black truck is white, with a black seat, dash top, and rubber mat, I was going to replicate that. The only good picture of a interior I could find was from a '56, and it was almost white gray, with a gray steering wheel, and column, black seat, and floor mat. Going to include the picture.

The one thing I could find is that the wood on the bed was painted flat black, and not left natural, or varnished.

Looks like most people modify those trucks and factory stock reference is hard to come by. 

If she were a Ford, probably I would have a brochure specification, or a book to follow, as I have a lot of Ford material. 

1956Chevrolet_03_1100.jpg

You're right, finding correct stock reference is difficult, as many (myself included) tend to alter them from stock and redo them to their own tastes. It also doesn't help that when you do find pics of an unrestored truck the beige used on the interiors tends to fade to an almost off white color. http://www.redgage.com/photos/kinderhook/images/1477831303902701223936.jpg This one of the better pics I could find for a stock '55

You're right, finding correct stock reference is difficult, as many (myself included) tend to alter them from stock and redo them to their own tastes. It also doesn't help that when you do find pics of an unrestored truck the beige used on the interiors tends to fade to an almost off white color. http://www.redgage.com/photos/kinderhook/images/1477831303902701223936.jpg This one of the better pics I could find for a stock '55

Thanks a lot!!

Looks like the original color was close to Testors flat interior tan. Will gowith that, and Testors leather on the seat, as the brown looks to be correct. Will keep the dash top black, as I painted it already. 

Thanks a lot!!

Looks like the original color was close to Testors flat interior tan. Will gowith that, and Testors leather on the seat, as the brown looks to be correct. Will keep the dash top black, as I painted it already. 

Someone here mentioned a web site that I have since used and found very helpful: OLD CAR BROCHURES.COM. You might want to take a look to see if they can offer any more information for you.  

Thanks!

By the way, as I do often, I forgot I had a WIP thread, and finished the truck today, without taking more pictures of the parts...

Hope I have some sun tomorrow, so I can get outside pictures to post to "Under Glass".

thanks I'll check the under glass section.