Model Cars Magazine Forum

I'm back from the states and I now own a 1965 Dodge D100

We got back from our trip in the states last Sunday, we had a great two weeks there and I now want to go back.
After landing in Salt Lake City on Sunday April 24th we drove north to Teton, Idaho in the morning on Monday and when we arrived we met up with seller Lane and his wife Geri. They where really great and it was nice to get to know them. The truck turned out to be just as good as I had hoped.
On the Tuesday we got the chance to go with Lane and Geri to Yellowstone national park (that was really great even if it was a little cold) and on the Wednesday the truck got shipped. It is still in Long Beach but hopefully it will reach Norway sometime during the summer.
Here is some pictures of it:

And here it is with seller Lane, wife Geri and their son Reid:

And here it starts it journey to Long Beach:

The story of the truck is that Lanes father bought it new in April 1965 (Lane was 8 years old and remembers that is was a big thing to get a new truck to the farm) and it was used on the farm untill late 70s or early 80s. Lane him self used it some when he was in highschool and college. The last time they used it on a somewhat regular basis was the summer of 2001 but after that it has been sitting inside unused. Lane had a mechanic fix new ignition parts on it (aswell as new oil) some 3 or 4 years ago. Lanes father passed away 3 years ago and they wanted to sell the truck as it was no longer used and they thought it was a shame that it would just sit there. They where really amazed that someone all the way from Norway would come and buy it.

Man, beautiful truck. Occasionally I'll come across a very well-maintained and relatively rust-free old farm truck, but so far, I haven't had the money on the day.

It's amazing how well some of these have survived intact and unmolested. Glad it's found a home with someone who would travel so far to get it. :D

Thank you guys. The truck really is a nice one and I sure hope it arrives here soon. I'm glad that I did not go for my plan to drive the truck to Long Beach for shipping now that I have driven on your roads. The BMW X5 that the rental company gave us was much more suited to the 80mph speed limit and thankfully had a GPS in the dash that help us find our way.

Driving in the US is amazing compared to Norway, you guys have such nice roads where there is a true flow in traffic. Here in Norway we almost never drive above 45-50 mph and because there are no real passing zones we often have queues at 5-10mp below the speed limit.
If I had driven the Dodge too Long Beach as I had planned I would have had to stay away from Interstates but thankfully I paid for shipping all the way and we got to drive where we wanted so we drove from Salt Lake City and north to buy the truck and then we went west to Twin Falls (Idaho) and then south to Wendover (Nevada/Utah). I got to look at Bonneville but sadly it was flooded so I could not go out on to the salt but driving on I80 past Bonneville the next day was sureal. At 80mph for more than and hour dead straight and flat...WOW!!!
We stayed some days in SLC and then headed east towards Denver, went buy Grand Junction and I wisited Hobby Hut (I really wish I had more money and space in my luggage there) and then we spent the last four days in a very sunny and warm Denver.

Awesome truck, like Ace Garageguy I never seem to have the money ready when something like that comes available. I am sure you will enjoy it in Norway and will be the envy of your friends! Glad you got to have fun during your visit here and there is a ton more for you to see on your next trip.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice find and glad you got to see the West part of our country. Hope you got some extra parts like the ceramic resistor:o. I don't know if that Dodge used the same floor plan as my 76, but they rust at the gas peddle area and the transmission hump. Wonder what the route is from Long Beach to Norway?

greg

That truck really is a survivor. In my area it's not common to see such a gently used farm truck. Have fun with it!

I think that truck could handle the interstates fine, But your ears would suffer with that muffler! I used to run my old 74 Chevy with the 250 straight six and 3 speed on the column at 75mph and it didn't mind a bit. 

• 1 month later...

My truck has finally arrived. It arrived in Oslo harbour earlier this week and after the Department of taxes and tolls had calulated how nuch I had to pay in purchase tax I was finally able to travel to Oslo (about 300 miles) and pick it up yesterday.

As you can see, it is a lot larger here in Norway than what it was in the states. See how it almost is to big for the trailer and compare that to the trailer it was loaded on back in Idaho in April:

So after a long day on the road (we started from my house at 6.15 in the morning and arrived back at my garage at around 21.30) it is at last resting in my garage and waiting for me to start working on it :dance

But I think that my first priority will not be the truck it self but my garage gate that is just 2 inches wider than the truck!! :pale

Today I went to my garage with my wife and 3,5 year old son Håkon. He has never seen the pickup in real life before (my wife was with me when I bought it) and he thought it was super cool and very BIG:

So we took it out for a little drive on the farm road to test it out:

It sure was a great adventure :)

I did start a little work on this last night as I took off the bad muffler so that I can find a replacment. Surpricingly easy to take it off, the nuts and bolts where not rusted solid like the use to do on cars here. I guess south-eastern Idaho is a dry area :)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments guys. I have still not had much time to do any work on the Dodge but winter is here now and that gives me about six months to get it up and running.

That's awesome! That truck will get a lot of looks over there for sure.

Not to get distracted too much, but is that your Corrado in that one pic there? More pics? :)

The Corrado is not mine, it belonged to the guy that has the garage next to mine. He has since the picture was taken sold it. I have no pictures of it sadly.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I did get the truck registered last year (August 18th) but I had to put it away in storage in October so I only had it out on the roads for a couple of months.
Here is some pictures I took of it:

IMG_0487.jpg
IMG_0484.jpg
IMG_0480.jpg
IMG_0199_1.jpg
IMG_0617.jpg
IMG_0625.jpg
IMG_0630.jpg
IMG_0632.jpg
IMG_0634.jpg

And a couple of weeks ago I went to see how its doing. I put the battery in it and it fired up right away. Drove it out just beoynd the gates but no further. Took some pictures in the snow and shot a little walkaround video with my phone.
IMG_0699_resize-vi.jpg
IMG_0700_resize-vi.jpg
IMG_0701_resize-vi.jpg
IMG_0702_resize-vi.jpg

The Modelhaus kit is very nice, I got one of them. But I'm leaning to not using that as a base for building a model of my own truck as the Modelhaus one has trim on the sides, big rearwindow and dash shifter. I think I want to build that in to a two-tone, possibly a red with white roof.
Something similar to this:
1966-red-dodge-d100-longbed-restored-low