Model Cars Magazine Forum

I'm back from the states and I now own a 1965 Dodge D100

Beautiful story with a nice ending. Or are we at chapter 2? I just ordered one from RMR, a model, that is. I'm sure you will enjoy this a lot. Are you planning to just maintain and use sparingly or to restore it? They are priginal only once.

5 hours ago, landman said:

Beautiful story with a nice ending. Or are we at chapter 2? I just ordered one from RMR, a model, that is. I'm sure you will enjoy this a lot. Are you planning to just maintain and use sparingly or to restore it? They are priginal only once.

I will keep as it is for the most part. I want to add USFS door markings on it but that will be done with vinyltape/foil or whatever they use. It will be used in summertime only but I do want to haul stuff with it as often as I can. Afterall, that's why one has a truck.
Maybe I will upgrade to diskbrakes in the front but I'm not sure as the Norwegian version of the DMV require documentation from the manufacturer that it is ok to modify a vehicle with such things as diskbrakes. And the documentation must contain data on all the parts that are to be used and if they are safe to use on the vehicle when it is driven on the road. Not sure how to get that sort of documentation and if I do I can not be sure they accept it untill after any modification has been done and I come to get it inspected. If they don't accept it I will have a truck that is impossible to register without undoing the modification. That means that a conversion to diskbrakes must be very much a bolt on affair. If they ok it all the components are marked by the DMV and photographed so that they can not be swapped over to another vehicle at another time.
Owning a classic vehicle here is not all that easy if one wants to modernise as one of the criteria that classic vehicles are still allowed to be driven is that they are historic artifacts that must to be used daily and must not be modified beyond period correct modifications. That means that putting modernday rims on it will be illigal and if one is to be very stringent one can not have radial tires either (alltough that has not been commented on by any offical that I have had to look it over).

4 hours ago, ChrisR said:

Yes it was and light blue in colour.

As I understand it the RHD versions are quite rare, I'm sure I saw someone post something about one on the sweptline forums some time back. I'm also a litte stumped as to what engine to put in to my resin kits (I got 4 of them so far, 1 Modelhaus and 3 others)
I think I want to use the slant six out of the Lindberg 64 Dodge in one of them, I have so far not gathered up all that many mopar kits.
I'm still waiting to see when that 3d printed poly v8 will be available.

Looks really nice and straight that one. What engine/trans was in it from the start? Slant six and treespeed? I'm guessing it was a manual gearbox as I see you got the clutchcylinder on the firewall.

Here is some pictures of what I did to mine. The pcitures are sort of telling of my learingcurve with these. I have never worked on an old us vehicle before this one so I had to learn how things worked. Mopar is also different to GM and Ford and around here most are in to Fords or GM cars and Mopars are looked upon as something strange and alien so not as much help from people I know as I would have hoped.

Right hand side rear brakes:
IMG_9677_resize.jpg
Left hand side:
IMG_9678_resize.jpg
And the left side drum, full of oil and bits of the brakes in it.
IMG_9681_resize.jpg

And then I pulled out the axle on the right hand side:
IMG_9683_resize.jpg
IMG_9686_resize.jpg
IMG_9684_resize.jpg

Front brakes, I replaced everything in the brakesystem. Notice that I had installed the shoes wrong. There is supposed to be a shorter liner on the front shoe. I discovered this when I was trying to install the new drum:rolleyes:
IMG_0050_resize.jpg
IMG_0058_resize.jpg

Notice the bearing on the driverside axle. I guess you can call it busted.
IMG_0192.jpg

And look what I found laying on the bottom of the rearaxle housing:
IMG_0204.jpg
IMG_0205.jpg
The thrust buttons are supposed to be inside the diff between the two ends of the axles.
Rear axle casing with springs, cleaned it all up with wirewheel on my anglegrinder and painted it with rustkiller primer and hammerpaint in gloss black.
IMG_0290.jpg
IMG_0288.jpg

IMG_0363_resize.jpg
New fittings and the old coupling blocks cleaned up.

Since the pipe sizes is one of those few things that still are delivered in old non-metric dimensions it was no problem to get a roll of about 30 feet of 3/16" copper pipe from the local autoparts store. I made up new pipes with the old ones as templates.
IMG_0364_resize.jpg
IMG_0366_resize.jpg
The new and old pipes and the new ones fitted to the freshly painted rearaxle housing.
I ordered new U-bolts and springbushings from Espo Springs and Things.
IMG_0368_resize.jpg

Freshly painted springs, new dampers and new steeringparts. All the greasepoints have been filled with fresh grease.
IMG_0451.jpg
IMG_0452.jpg

Same in the rear. Getting the diff back in on my own was not easy but I did manage to get it in.
IMG_0448.jpg
IMG_0450.jpg

I also fabricated new upper mounts for the rear shocks, I have no photo of them but basiclly I made it from a M16 threaded bar with a 18mm pipe that I threaded the inside of and some M16 nuts in between to replicate the original parts that broke off when I removed the old shocks.
IMG_0449.jpg

I discovered that the driver side parking brake strut was broken.
Some steel from an old floor jack was the same thickness as the original part.
A couple of hours with an anglegrinder later I ended up with this:
IMG_0454.jpg

36 minutes ago, Atmobil said:

Looks really nice and straight that one. What engine/trans was in it from the start? Slant six and treespeed? I'm guessing it was a manual gearbox as I see you got the clutchcylinder on the firewall

It was a 225 slant six wit a 3 on the tree. 

193CC4AA-6777-4C13-A73E-5AD14C1BE1F3.jpeg

Here is a pic of the 440 that is going to go in it. Right now it is sitting my 78 New Yorker and I will be pulling it out this summer.B7122B33-D483-4667-B4B9-78F8AF9B2BF1.png.ea0e18547ac690116a3ad0af79f6bde1.png

Edited by 426 pack