Model Cars Magazine Forum

Replicas & Miniatures Co. Of Maryland

Hi

Can someone please give me the contact info for Replicas & Miniatures Co. Of Maryland?? I did find an email address by doing a search but I'm not sure if it's correct because I sent an email about a week ago with no reply :(

Cheers

• 8 months later...

Sure would be nice if he had his own site w/ pictures so I can see what I'm looking at... Even if you couldn't order from the site it would be great just to get a visual of something before you spend money. I know, I know, it's been discussed a million times I'll shut up now lol

Sure would be nice if he had his own site w/ pictures so I can see what I'm looking at... Even if you couldn't order from the site it would be great just to get a visual of something before you spend money. I know, I know, it's been discussed a million times I'll shut up now lol

Having the advantage of seeing him at shows in the past with his boards makes it easier for some of us Jesse. What are looking for Jesse? I would order any of his hop up street rod parts without a second thought. 

Having the advantage of seeing him at shows in the past with his boards makes it easier for some of us Jesse. What are looking for Jesse? I would order any of his hop up street rod parts without a second thought. 

Just anything really. I like to see what I'm getting. I love vintage hot rods and stuff... but I'm not familiar with certain brands or what certain things look like. Plus, you know a half dozen different resin casters could sell the same thing and the part could be a little different from each of them.

I've mentioned this in other posts.  The only way Norm will get a website iis if he pays someone to develop and maintain it.   Seeing how he has done the old school mail order thing for the last thirty years I would not hold your breath.  In their age of instant ordering on-line it is frustrating to those under age 60 guys like Norm are from the golden years of model building, not the internet age.  One thing that would be helpful if someone scanned his catalog and posted it online.

Just anything really. I like to see what I'm getting. I love vintage hot rods and stuff... but I'm not familiar with certain brands or what certain things look like. Plus, you know a half dozen different resin casters could sell the same thing and the part could be a little different from each of them.

I've mentioned this in other posts.  The only way Norm will get a website iis if he pays someone to develop and maintain it.   Seeing how he has done the old school mail order thing for the last thirty years I would not hold your breath.  In their age of instant ordering on-line it is frustrating to those under age 60 guys like Norm are from the golden years of model building, not the internet age.  One thing that would be helpful if someone scanned his catalog and posted it online.

All he's gotta do is start a photobucket or fotki account and take a picture of his product with the product number and upload it to the site... similar to the link above... even though that's not his fotki account and not NEARLY all of his products. 

but anyway I'll leave the dead horse alone now

All he's gotta do is start a photobucket or fotki account and take a picture of his product with the product number and upload it to the site... similar to the link above... even though that's not his fotki account and not NEARLY all of his products. 

but anyway I'll leave the dead horse alone now

Very true.  Not sure how many hundreds of parts he sells but all least the top 50 or 100 would be worth the time.

Ok, I want to weigh in on the computer thing.  There are a lot of folks who build models that are, to put it politely, eligible for Social Security.  I am one of those as are Norm and Harold.  I will not speak for them but I will speak for myself.  I am computer literate.  I took my first course in computer science in 1968 and have been involved with computers ever since.  My wife uses computers but that is about the extent of it.  Her current computer recently took a dump and I have had to replace it.  The old system was running Windows 7 and was running an early version of office and other programs.  Her new computer is a Windows 10 model and I had to update Office and other programs to make it work.  Then began the fun.  Trying to get the computer so it was usable for her was a challenge.  My wife is not a stupid person.  After 40 years in big city emergency rooms as a nurse she is among the smarter people I know, but she just doesn't like computers.  She doesn't understand them and can't grasp how they work.  When she approaches one she expects the same thing every time.  Trying to get her to adapt to new programs and different approaches is like trying to teach a fish to ride a bicycle.  In other words I have spent the last week trying to make the new computer work and look like the old one and it is very frustrating. The builders of technology seem to believe that everything new has have all the fancy bells and whistles.  Every thing about it must be new and fresh.  Unfortunately, it makes it unfamiliar and confusing to those who don't keep up with technology.  

Many older people I assume like Norm and Harold have been doing things without computers their whole life.  I have a number of friends like that.  They have no concept of what the web is like and how it functions.  Starting to get them up to speed at this point in their life is fruitless.  They have tools that they know how to use and are comfortable with.  They like pen and paper, telephone conversations and the US Mail service.  It is like their shops.  The shop is full of old style craftsmans tools for making molds and pouring resin.  They know these things and they are comfortable.  They don't need CAD or 3D printers.  They know how to do things with manual tools.  

In short, small garage shops like this is not likely to upgrade to any computer based selling system.    If you want the quality products that they offer then you need to do things their way.  They are not likely to adapt to your needs and wants.  

Edited by Pete J.

email Norm, he can send you a current price list. I believe he has a catalog, that has photos of some of his parts. I think you have to buy it. I have not seen it personally, I am lucky enough to be able to see his merchandise once a month at our club meeting. Shoot Norm an email or give him a call, see what he has and what he can provide.

I agree with Pete, everyone is happy with our current technological state. A pen, 3 part carbon paper and a calculator made a lot of folks rich in the past.

Pete has a valid point. There is also this. Even without a website or pics or a Facebook page, Norm is kept extremely busy and has not attended events as a vendor since he was so far behind in fulfilling orders that he felt it wasn't fair to vend at a show when he had customers waiting a couple of months for orders. If you're that busy already without it, who needs a website? :huh: