Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Obscure" Languages

Glad to see you're following the "No politics or religion" rule! :lol:

This was done in an effort to educate, not irritate.

As Joe noted, this was intended as a history lesson/correction of a factual error. 

Remember, also, that those two subjects are woven throughout history, and one of those (politics) to a great deal into the history of cars. 

Charlie Larkin

This was done in an effort to educate, not irritate.

As Joe noted, this was intended as a history lesson/correction of a factual error. 

Remember, also, that those two subjects are woven throughout history, and one of those (politics) to a great deal into the history of cars. 

Charlie Larkin

No worries, Charlie. I was just messin' with ya! If I had actually thought you were getting "religious," I would have deleted it. ;)

M mkpa a ọṅụṅụ .

So, lemme see if I got this straight. All I have to do is wire you $2500 to cover transaction fees and the $274,000,000,000.29 a dead uncle who lived in Lagos left me will be deposited into my non-existent Santander bank account, right? DEAL!

Definitely interesting and sad.

This can be devastating, too. 

After the Genocide of 1915, when the Pontic Greeks were wiped out, the last living link to Ancient Greek was wiped out. From talking to a few friends of mine who are professional historians, this has had a ripple effect, as we're still having trouble translating a lot of things written in older dialects of Greek.

Charlie Larkin

So, lemme see if I got this straight. All I have to do is wire you $2500 to cover transaction fees and the $274,000,000,000.29 a dead uncle who lived in Lagos left me will be deposited into my non-existent Santander bank account, right? DEAL!

And to please to also to send a bottle of Black Bush as well please, under separate cover. Make it a case please.

Uisge beatha is the Gaelic word for whiskey

It's pronounced "ishka baha" and means the water of life

My all-time favorite whiskey. $120 - $140 per bottle. (That's why I haven't had it in years).

usquaebach-blended-scotch-whisky__33872.

Edited by sjordan2

Personally, I speak Midwestern with a notable New England accent.  I grew up in western Nebraska on the family homestead.  My grandfather was the first generation born in the US but had a very strong Swedish accent.  My Grandmother was German so my dad had a colorful mix of bits of both languages and boy could he get colorful when things went south.  To top that off he was a navy pilot during WWII so color filled his language.  My mother was a native "vamanter"(Vermont) so that is were the New England side kicks in.  My children speak some other dialect.  They were both raise here in California but pick up a bit of east coast from my wife a native of "balamer"(Baltimore).  Having spent 9 years as a pilot in the Air Force, I have my own share of color in my language.  If a linguist were to try and nail down the local for my kids or me, it would be a serious challenge.  The interesting part is that my daughter has been in Baltimore for a couple of years working on her masters and her language is moving that way.  So what form of English do I speak?  'merican with bits and pieces from everywhere.

Oh, and Oban is my favorite brand of Scotch!  A dram or two before bedtime is a perfect tonic for a good nights sleep!

Edited by Pete J.

If you can find it, it may just help you to learn Gaelic...:D  Laphroaig_18_Year_Old_Single_Malt_Scotch

Pretty sure I've seen that at my local state-run liquor store- I'll have to check it out next time I'm there. Years ago my mom gave me a bottle of 18 year-old Glenfiddich that was pretty dang good to my taste, although I'm not a scotch afficionado by any means- I mostly drink 100-proof bourbon 

Last summer we went on an Alaska cruise and I just happened to be in the right place at the right time to score invitations to a whiskey-tasting session sponsored by Johnny Walker- they had a bottle of "The John Walker" on display, but at ~$3,000 a bottle of course we didn't get to sample that, although we did get the blue label which was my favorite of the 8 whiskeys we tried. We got there early while the girl was setting up and got the first 3 seats so we had the first pick of the samples- naturally I would pick the fullest one, lol. After about 4 samples, the British guy who was sitting next to me held up a really full one and said "you missed this one, mate!" :lol:

Alaska_cruise_067.thumb.jpg.245b7ba999d2