Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Obscure" Languages

Years ago my mom gave me a bottle of 18 year-old Glenfiddich that was pretty dang good to my taste, although I'm not a scotch afficionado by any means- I mostly drink 100-proof bourbon 

Oh yes, Glenfiddich 18 is wonderful stuff. It's always fascinated me how widely the single malts differ as to taste and bite. JW Blue Label is damm fine too, probably my favorite of the blends. Course, I like plain old Johnny Walker, Cutty, Bushmills, Ballentines...

I don't know much about bourbons, other than I usually like the ones I've tried. A lot. (Not so much these days though. I think all I've had has been two beers in the last two years, maybe half a bottle of white wine. What a wimp.) :D

My daughter gave me an expensive bottle of 12-year-old Macallan, which is plenty good but a bit tart. I'll stick with Dewar's.

I've had a bottle or 3 of Macallan's 12 over the years as gifts as well. Much appreciated gifts. Dewars, though I like its taste, put me off with its "do-ers" Scotch-of-choice-for-yuppies advertising campaign. 'Bout the time I discovered single-malts...which were a plenty obscure language of their own at the time.

B)

Oh, and Oban is my favorite brand of Scotch!  A dram or two before bedtime is a perfect tonic for a good nights sleep!

A Dram ? Ha ha ha ! I haven't so much as seen nor heard that measurement in decades ! That's what , 5 oz. ? I've forgotten the conversion . Speaking of 'obscure' languages ! :lol:

I got it from my Vermont grandfather.  I believe the origin is Scottish as in "A wee dram to ward off the chill".  Always heard it in reference to whiskey, which my Grandfather was quite fond of. ;)

I could just hear the Scots accent in your quote ! Very cool .

"Dram" , along with "Grain" and some others I'm forgetting , are now-archaic measurements ; they've been replaced with the metric system ( predominately in the medical fields ) . When I was 3 years old I had pnumonia ; I was hospitalised for a week , Oct 1973 . For my outpatient care , my mum had to give me prescription cough syrup and ampicillian . I vividly recall the Pharmucist going over the instructions ; "Give one dram of ampicillian every ..." , and I was thinking , What the heck is a "dram" ? Sounded like "Dracula" to me ! Ha ha ha ! No wonder why I hated that awful "cherry flavored" cough syrup ; in my mind it was some-thing that Dracula was taking !

I'm glad you like baklava, Harry. If I ever get out to Chicago, I'll have to introduce you to some of the Armenian desserts. Baklava and some variants are included. 

To me, all liquor tastes like gum turps, especially Crown Royal XR. My friend bought a bottle to celebrate a messy workman's comp win, and I tried a sip. I almost vomited. Absolutely disgusting. 

Dad like Glenfiddich 18. He's found the 25 a bit strong for his liking. 

Charlie Larkin

A Dram ? Ha ha ha ! I haven't so much as seen nor heard that measurement in decades ! That's what , 5 oz. ? I've forgotten the conversion . Speaking of 'obscure' languages ! :lol:

The little horn cups themselves are also called a "dram", or sometimes a "beaker", although beakers are usually a bit larger

My friend's father is German and also refers to a shot of liquor as a "dram"

I'm glad you like baklava, Harry. If I ever get out to Chicago, I'll have to introduce you to some of the Armenian desserts. Baklava and some variants are included.

Well, that's news to me! I always thought baklava was Greek.

The name baklava seems to transcend the Mediterranean ; Armenian ,  Lebanese , Iranian , Greek , etc.  There's a great Lebanese bakery a stone's throw from my house * , and their dessert is called 'baklava' . One of my neighbours is Greek , and she makes the BEST Greek desserts ! Every Christmas she gives me a big tin (think : turkey baster size) of home made desserts . Every region has its own flavours / ingredients' changes , but the base seems to be the same .

* It's quite unusual that there's an ethnic eaterie around here that's not Chinese , Mexican , or Pizza ! For those of you whom reside in / around Murrieta , check out Sultan Bakery on Madison @ Murrieta Hot Spg's !

Baklava, as John pointed out, is common to the region. Every once in a while, my mother makes boorma (I think that's spelled right,) which is Armenian-style. It's round and made with shredded Phyllo dough. It's not as sweet as baklava, either. It means "bird's nest."

Although a different shape, this is the basic ingredient list. http://www.thebaklavaguy.com/pistachio.htm

Charlie Larkin

Edited by charlie8575