Model Cars Magazine Forum

Red Inner Fender Well Skirts-Olds

In the 60ties Olds hi-performance "W" code cars had inner fender well skirts were painted red. Can anyone tell me the name/paint code of this red?
C240638-lrg.thumb.jpg.bc720dc34278fb59da

On one of the 1:1 Olds forums someone mentioned they thought it was called "Flame Red. So far I have not been able to locate this color listed on any of the automotive paint chips references. Also, what years did Olds run the red inner fender well skirts...1966-1970?

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

-G

Edited by 69NovaYenko

Thanks for the replies.

Completely un-helpful as they were. :lol:

The ones that I remember seeing were kind of an orangy-red, kind of like Chrysler Hemi Orange/TorRed. Being red and being plastic, they tended to fade and hold dirt and grease. I think that I would try the model master Hemi Orange with dullcoat and see if it looks right.

Completely un-helpful as they were. :lol:

The ones that I remember seeing were kind of an orangy-red, kind of like Chrysler Hemi Orange/TorRed. Being red and being plastic, they tended to fade and hold dirt and grease. I think that I would try the model master Hemi Orange with dullcoat and see if it looks right.

Many..many thanks for making  an ernest effort at answering the question. It is  genuinely appreciated. :-)

Edited by 69NovaYenko

They look RED in all the sites I posted, :blink: Red is red. ;)

I agree. In all pics I've seen, they look red, not orange or even red-orange.

And weren't these available on something else too--GTOs, maybe? I think I recently saw a mag story on a '66 or '67 GTO that had them. Maybe it was something else, but I was a little surprised it wasn't an Olds.

I seem to remember that Testors' Flat Red was an excellent match .

Tim Boyd built one of the Revell 1966 GTO kits a couple of years back , and he replicated the plastic wheel well liners on it . Apparently , Pontiac and Oldsmobile had the liners ; probably different part numbers though ( ?? ) .

Edited by 1972coronet

This W-30 is paint code 75, which Olds called Matador Red, Chevy called Cranberry Red, and Pontiac called Cardinal Red. You can see that the liners are a little lighter/brighter than the body color.

If I remember correctly, the earlier A-Bodies had metal inner fenders, so the 66 GTO had plastic liners on the bottom. When GM went to the plastic inner fenders, they just molded them in red plastic.

116182_Engine_Web.JPG

I seem to remember that Testors' Flat Red was an excellent match .

Tim Boyd built one of the Revell 1966 GTO kits a couple of years back , and he replicated the plastic wheel well liners on it . Apparently , Pontiac and Oldsmobile had the liners ; probably different part numbers though ( ?? ) .

1972Coronet, genuinely thank you for the lead.

1972Coronet, genuinely thank you for the lead.

I read an article on a build-up of the Jo-Han 1970 Oldsmobile 442 in a 1986 issue of Scale Auto . I'm *thinking* that the author / builder was George B. ( I don't remember how to properly spell his surname ) . He employed Testors Flat Red for the 'liners , IIRC ; I used that colour on the 442 I was building at the time (lost in 1987 to the earthquake) .

Tim Boyd is one of my favourite hobbiests , going back as far as 1984 when I discovered Scale Auto .