Model Cars Magazine Forum

Unleaded15... is this stuff any good?

Two questions: How can a gas blended with 15% ethanol have a higher octane that one blended with 10% ethanol?

"Octane" is a measure of a fuel's resistance to detonation in an internal combustion engine, nothing more, nothing less.

A higher "octane" number is not in any way shape or form an indication that the fuel is more "powerful", as some people seem to believe.

Straight ethanol has equivalent "octane" numbers of (RON) 108, and 89.7 (MON). These are two different tests that are sometimes averaged together to give another number R+M/2, 99.15.

Adding ethanol to gasoline can indeed raise the fuel's resistance to detonation, but it may also contain less overall energy...making performance and fuel mileage suffer.

As stated above, alcohol in fuel can have nasty effects on fuel system components that aren't designed to cope with it.

Want to know the truth about YOUR car? Find an engineer inside Ford who knows what he's talking about.

Or believe all the "experts" on the internet.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Funny how they are calling E85 Unleaded15. As if we wend back to the '80s when Regular (leaded) gas was still available. I really had a chuckle: to me it seems to imply that the other types of gasoline sold at the gas station are leaded. Sounds like a silly marketing ploy.

I really wish that they would go back to "full strength" gasoline. After all the price of crude oil is again so cheap that it probably costs more to blend gasoline with ethanol.  Plus I wouldn't have to worry about long term effects of using the 10% ethanol gasoline in my older car and lawnmower. 

Funny how they are calling E85 Unleaded15

They aren't calling E85 Unleaded15. They are two completely different things.

E85 is 85% ethanol, 15% gasoline. It's been around a while, and can only be used in "flex fuel" vehicles.

E15 is 15% ethanol, 85% gasoline. It's brand new here in the Chicago area, and is being marketed as ok to use in any car 2001 or newer.

E85 is 85% ethanol, 15% gasoline.

E15 is 15% ethanol, 85% gasoline.

And all vehicle gas available to the public is unleaded so using that moniker by the EPA and gas companies makes you think there is something else out there (leaded) and that's a misnomer. 

The only leaded out there is AV gas and we all know that it is illegal to use that in a car...  :)

E85 is 85% ethanol, 15% gasoline. It's been around a while, and can only be used in "flex fuel" vehicles.

E15 is 15% ethanol, 85% gasoline. It's brand new here in the Chicago area, and is being marketed as ok to use in any car 2001 or newer.

Do any of the gas stations in your area offer "non ethanol" fuel?

In the city that I live there are a half dozen gas stations that have one pump selling high octane non ethanol fuel for classic cars & small engines.

I first discovered this very recently after just overhauling a '69 Pontiac engine.

You might want to check out this link Harry.

Seems there are plenty of stations selling it in your area as well.

I guess I have little knowledge about the laws around these things, but I suppose there may be the possibility that you could wind up in the "clink" for using it in your Mustang! :P

Steve

http://www.yellowpages.com/chicago-il/non-ethanol-gas-stations

At least you have a choice in your locale ! We're stuck with all pump gas grades ( 91 is the highest !! ) having that garbage ethanol . It is thee worst thing one can put in their old vehicle's tank ; it's hygroscopic BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH !

Steer . Clear .

I envy you guys whom reside in other , more reasonablly-minded states , with real gasoline , with higher octane ratings .

And all vehicle gas available to the public is unleaded so using that moniker by the EPA and gas companies makes you think there is something else out there (leaded) and that's a misnomer. 

The only leaded out there is AV gas and we all know that it is illegal to use that in a car...  :)

The EPA's agenda is to totally eliminate the use of fossil fuels. They are banking on the general ignorance of the public-at-large to accomplish this. They want to turn this country into a giant-sized version of Amsterdam, where everybody rides bikes. Everybody except the ones who pull the strings, that is.

10 percent Ethanol is not good in lawn mower engines. You have to keep replacing gaskets here in push mowers and lawn tractors. There is a station here that you can buy gas without Ethanol most buy it for small engines but some pump it into their cars...

Do any of the gas stations in your area offer "non ethanol" fuel?

None near me. It's all 10% ethanol. Or now, also a choice of the 15% stuff.

But that's not my point. I've run my car on the 10% ethanol mix since the day I bought it. That's not my question. My question is can I run it on this newly available 15% ethanol mix, which is just now coming out in my area.

At least you have a choice in your locale ! We're stuck with all pump gas grades ( 91 is the highest !! ) having that garbage ethanol . It is thee worst thing one can put in their old vehicle's tank ; it's hygroscopic BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH !

Steer . Clear .

I envy you guys whom reside in other , more reasonablly-minded states , with real gasoline , with higher octane ratings .

Believe it or not John, there are non-ethanol stations in California as well.

None near me. It's all 10% ethanol. Or now, also a choice of the 15% stuff.

You kind of have to go looking for it.

If you have a classic car with an original engine you almost have to have it, or mess with additives.

Do a google search for "non ethanol gas" in your area.

You may be surprised.

I found a "Quick Trip" about 2 miles from my house where I buy mine.

Steve

The local Thornton's just installed new tanks and pumps, to offer what they call "Unleaded15." It's 85% gas, 15% ethanol. It's labeled as 88 octane, which is higher than the "normal" unleaded 87 rating.

Two questions: How can a gas blended with 15% ethanol have a higher octane that one blended with 10% ethanol?

And is this stuff ok to use in a 2007 Mustang GT? Any of you guys use it? My owner's manual says using fuel with more than 10% ethanol is not recommended, but the EPA says any car 2001 or newer can use it. I'm confused...

If you have an option of purchasing gas that has NO ETHANOL do it. As you have seen from others it will damage any engine to varying degrees. So far it has cost me two lawn mowers and one snow blower and non of them were cheap. As for automotive you will give up a minimum of 2 to 3 MPG on this stuff. Over the last several years I have had to use Ethanol in several different vehicles and in each instance when I could get fuel with out it I noticed a marked difference in gas mileage when I could get away from it. In this area there are a few stations that offer it in as a premium grade usually around 90+ rating. They charge 5 to 7 cents more per gallon, but with the dramatic increase in gas mileage it is well worth the extra expense. Like you most of the late model vehicles that I have owned the manufacture has said to use no more than 10% ethanol or it gives them an out on any warranty work on the engine. I personally would rely on the engineers before someone with the EPA and what ever agenda they have. You car is a very big investment, take very good care of it.  

Again, the question isn't about non-ethanol gas. My car runs fine on the 10% ethanol mix all the stations in my area sell.

My question is will it also run fine on 15% ethanol?

i would ask Ford. Sooner or later all will stations will be 15 percent

Again, the question isn't about non-ethanol gas. My car runs fine on the 10% ethanol mix all the stations in my area sell.

My question is will it also run fine on 15% ethanol?

Sorry Harry.

I must have misunderstood you.

I thought you were looking for ways to eliminate running more ethanol through your car, not adding more.

Steve

i would ask Ford. Sooner or later all will stations will be 15 percent

I talked to two Ford techs today at my "friendly neighborhood Ford dealer." They had no clue.

This 15% stuff is brand new here on the market in my area... nobody has any answers. Of course, the gas station will tell you it's perfectly ok... but then again, they sell the stuff! I need an unbiased opinion.

I talked to two Ford techs today at my "friendly neighborhood Ford dealer." They had no clue.

This 15% stuff is brand new here on the market in my area... nobody has any answers. Of course, the gas station will tell you it's perfectly ok... but then again, they sell the stuff! I need an unbiased opinion.

I would not use it. It is not good on gas lines that are not set up for alcohol and seals in the engine. My car is suppose to be a flex fuel car and it's an 05. I would not put it in mine unless there is no choice....

And why are they selling the stuff?

I doubt it was because the auto makers, oil producers or fuel stations think it's a better product.

I would venture to guess it has much more to do with some government entity forcing it on us because they're doing their absolute best to keep the heavily subsidized ethanol market afloat!

Ooo, sorry!

Way too political! :P

Steve

Ethanol lowers your mileage, and leans your fuel mixture which makes your engine run hotter.

I wonder if this is why so many newer cars seem to burn out so quickly? And a lot of older ones are suddenly dying?

From all I've read of E-15, the stuff was seen as such a potential hazard to cars more than a few years old, that everyone from the car companies to SEMA to all sorts of car clubs actually lobbied the EPA to stop it or delay it.

Looks like it was delayed. I'll have to keep an eye open. With my cars, this could be a real major problem. 

Charlie Larkin

And why are they selling the stuff?

I doubt it was because the auto makers, oil producers or fuel stations think it's a better product.

I would venture to guess it has much more to do with some government entity forcing it on us because they're doing their absolute best to keep the heavily subsidized ethanol market afloat!

Well, of course! I knew that! It's all about government subsidies to the corn growers here in the midwest. But politics aside, I still want to know if I can use the stuff!

The EPA's agenda is to totally eliminate the use of fossil fuels. They are banking on the general ignorance of the public-at-large to accomplish this. They want to turn this country into a giant-sized version of Amsterdam, where everybody rides bikes. Everybody except the ones who pull the strings, that is.

:D

Well, of course! I knew that! It's all about government subsidies to the corn growers here in the midwest. But politics aside, I still want to know if I can use the stuff!

In a few months when people who don't care burn more of it word will get around...