Model Cars Magazine Forum

1940 Flathead color?

I have Model Master acrylic 4736 interior green, 4849 RAF dark green, and 4729 Euro dark green -- will any of these be good for the engine block?  I also have MCW intermediate green in lacquer.  Turns out, nothing else even close!   Any recommendations or suggestions gratefully solicited.  I don't use cans except for non-body primer jobs or when a sealer is needed.  

Thanks!

Tim

I'd use what ever green looks right to you. In a lot of cases, Ford would use anything that was close themselves. Even the later Fords, with engines painted "Ford Blue." Ford Blue varied depending on the year, the plant that painted the engine, and God knows what else. Unlike body colors, they really didn't care that much. Go back to Model Ts. Some engines were painted. Mainly black. Some engine blocks were not painted at all. '49 or '50, I can't remember which, Ford changed engine colors in the middle of the year! So what color is right? What ever looks right to you.

I have Model Master acrylic 4736 interior green, 4849 RAF dark green, and 4729 Euro dark green -- will any of these be good for the engine block?  I also have MCW intermediate green in lacquer.  Turns out, nothing else even close!   Any recommendations or suggestions gratefully solicited.  I don't use cans except for non-body primer jobs or when a sealer is needed.  

Thanks!

Tim

The very dark green (flat finish) in the small "square bottle" Testors enamel line is virtually a dead ringer for the original Ford Engine Green as was used beginning with the 1928 Model A through the end of civilian car & truck production in early 1942.  

Art

The very dark green (flat finish) in the small "square bottle" Testors enamel line is virtually a dead ringer for the original Ford Engine Green as was used beginning with the 1928 Model A through the end of civilian car & truck production in early 1942.  

Art

I would go with Art's recommendation here. He's owned and restored old Fords with this engine color, and he usually knows what he's talking about.

I've come across two "antique Ford engine green" paints in spray cans, supposed to be correct for 1:1 resto work, and they're quite different. One is a 'green' green, and one is a 'blue-gray' green. The cars I've seen with supposedly original paint on the engines leaned more to the blue-gray side, but I honestly have no idea what color the paint was when it was new, prior to more than 70 years of heating and cooling and weathering.

Go with Art's suggestion.