Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '83 Hurst Oldsmobile (Video Review)

hpiguy

Another great review. Boy, looking at this kit makes me a little sad. How could GM have screwed up Oldsmobile so bad? 80's Oldmobiles, particularly the early 80's were great looking cars. By the end of the 80's not so much. What a shame. And they were good cars too. Loved my mother's 1980 Delta 88 with the Holiday Coupe package. That gave her 20 years of basically trouble free driving. It had the 307. It was a great car.

Back to the kit. It looks like Revell did another great job in tooling this one up. My only complaint is that is a Hurst edition. I've never cared much for those. Any model or any year. Looking how parts are molded to particular trees in the kit, you can see it would not be hard for Revell to offer other variations of this car in the future. For that reason, like their '72 Cutlass it maybe worth the wait to see what comes down the road. Any Supreme or 4-4-2 version of this kit can get me to part with my money. Just not the Hurst version.

When I first heard the news of this model coming out and all the hype I had no interest in this kit at all.......until now after seeing the video......sooooooo many ideas were going through in my head as I watch this.....thanks for the great review and converting me into the "hype".

Another great review. Boy, looking at this kit makes me a little sad. How could GM have screwed up Oldsmobile so bad? 80's Oldmobiles, particularly the early 80's were great looking cars. By the end of the 80's not so much. What a shame. And they were good cars too. Loved my mother's 1980 Delta 88 with the Holiday Coupe package. That gave her 20 years of basically trouble free driving. It had the 307. It was a great car.

Even towards the end Olds had some really good cars. I daily drove an Intrigue for 5 years and loved it. A very sweet ride.

These Cutlasses were as common as air molecules when I was growing up. On every street around my house there was at least one G-body in a driveway.

Even towards the end Olds had some really good cars. I daily drove an Intrigue for 5 years and loved it. A very sweet ride.

These Cutlasses were as common as air molecules when I was growing up. On every street around my house there was at least one G-body in a driveway.

Car & Driver comparison test rated the Intrigue above the others (Camry, Accord etc) in the midsize sedan class.

I talked to a friend of mine today who works at a hobby shop and he says those Oldsmobile kits are selling like hotcakes.

That seems to be the consensus from everyone who works in retail.

Gives me a chuckle, thinking back to all the threads through the years discussing the need for an '80s Cutlass kit, so many of the self-proclaimed industry insiders and "experts" insisted "there's no interest in those cars", "those will never sell", "retailers won't even stock them", etc.

Just a good reminder to take all those "insider's" proclamations with a big heaping spoonful of salt...