Model Cars Magazine Forum

Beach builds Woody and '32

rmvw guy

At the beach again, this time Ocean City, Maryland. Getting ready for Cruisin' Ocean City, about 3500 cars expected this year.  Not perfect weather so far.  I have hot rods cruising on one side and the ocean on the other.  Perfect time to build a model or two right?  So far this is what I've got.

image.jpeg

Edited by rmvw guy

Looks good.  The problem I found with using REAL wood on scalled projects is that the grain pattern is usually not to scale with the rest of the build.  Whatever you're using here seems to work well.

Not sure about what you intend to do for the finish on the wood panels, but Tamiya clear yellow would good.  It will give a "honey" type varnish effect, of which would be a nice contrast to the dark/redwood color of the wood frame.  Just my $0.02.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks for any input on this topic.  I kind of blotched the wood grain decals that came with the kit.  I have seen good results with real wood, just don't know if i can pull it off. Might have made a big mistake on this one but, we will see where it goes.

In the mean time just for your entertainment, a picture of what we found in our garage just now.  We were the only people staying in this 9 apartment unit until today.  Big show down the road just a few blocks over 3,400 expected.  I don't know if much work will get done on these two models now

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I think the wood grain looks good and close to scale. I get the idea you are trying to set the light inner wood back and you seem on the right track. Can you place it behind in large pieces and still get the interior in? Maybe a little sanding on the back of the wood after it's in place if it needs to be thinner.

There is plenty of room for the thin strips of wood I think. The wood is oak and I would like to switch to walnut , I think it has a smaller grain.

Another picture of the slow progress of removing the panels. I think the panels on the AMT '29 Woody may come cut out like this with panels that fit behind the body.

image.jpeg

Edited by rmvw guy

Back home today and attended another car show, the season has begun.  I am checking out the '32 again.  Ready to switch back to working on this one now that I have more options on paint.  These two models will always have the beach attached to them for me even though I didn't make it to the finish line there. I like to have a memory to go with my builds.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Finally got all the panels cut out.  The Dremel tool helped.  Now for some fileing and a little touch up painting.  The wood grain was done with craft paint and then cleared over.  A 16 x 20 photo of the ocean has been ordered by my wife (her idea) for a background. Switching back and forth between models seems to help me keep interest.

image.jpeg

I met a lot of people from New Jersey..  It was a 12 hour drive about 700 miles. Beautiful scenery all the way.

Like I said, cars on one side, ocean on the other.  No better way I can think of for a car guy to spend his vacation.

image.jpeg

Edited by rmvw guy
Picture