Model Cars Magazine Forum

Beach builds Woody and '32

rmvw guy

This was the day the '48 came out of the paint booth Oct. 7, 2015, l was so happy that day, like I had just made a major breakthrough.  ( Maybe it was the paint fumes.)  The Boyd Pacific Blue enamel paint should be cured by now.  Do you think?  I actually forgot I had these pictures. I was going to document the entire build and then hand it over to my son for display on his mantle.  I have since decided he needs a '49 Mercury Woody.  He likes the '50s cars. I have more photos some where of when I painted the wood. Just sharing some more of this simple or not so simple for me project.

image.jpeg

Edited by rmvw guy

Even though I have previously built 4 Revell '32 Fords, the suspension still gives me fits every time.  I wish Revell would offer a stock version with banjo reared and maybe a quick change.   I am trying to keep this one simple by the mono paint job and pre glued assemblys but, so far this build is not going anywhere near record speed.  I am using the flathead engine from the '32 sedan kit and that is about the only out of box parts besides the tires.  Another photo of minor progress.

image.jpeg

A few more parts went on this morning. Headers, grill after a wash was applied. Suspension is now done.  This is going to be a long thread.  Just a warning. I am having fun.  Something about the Hugger Orange paint and the chrome on a'32  Ford I just love.  I want the full size version now.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by rmvw guy

It looks like you are getting your coupe' s suspension worked out in that last photo.You might want to move your rear axle back so the wheels are centered in the center of the rear fender opening.Take a look at some of the rear coupes you saw on your vacation or in magazines and you'll see what I mean.

Nice to see someone else with a traveling tool kit/workbench.I love having mine when we travel!

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like you are getting your coupe' s suspension worked out in that last photo.You might want to move your rear axle back so the wheels are centered in the center of the rear fender opening.Take a look at some of the rear coupes you saw on your vacation or in magazines and you'll see what I mean.

Nice to see someone else with a traveling tool kit/workbench.I love having mine when we travel!

Yes I have been aware of this problem.  Happens to me a lot, I get it all together solid now I will have to start cutting. The drive shaft is too short.  Can't figure why this happens.  Upsetting.

We all have problems.Mine is  having things square,drives me nuts.Seems like no matter how many times I measure something goes wrong and one side is longer than the other(I spend a lot of time sanding as a result !).Don't let that hold you back or keep you from building.

• 4 months later...

I am at the beach again, this time Myrtle.  Not much hot rod activity going on here right now.  We were in California 2 weeks ago, Hunting Beach Balboa Peninsula, where there is plenty of classic car activity always!  What a difference.  Anyway back to the models.  I brought along the '32 to work on but, so far nothing has transformed in the last 4 days. I had to look on here to see where I was before starting.  The summer did not produce any new models for me except one surprise '55 Chevy pickup my son gave me in Wisconsin.  That one got painted and partially assembled then went back in the box.  Seems to be the theme lately.  Hope the'32 can jump start me again.

IMG_0179.JPG

it looks a little better to my eye now.  I cut and moved the axel back to center the way you said, then extended the drive shaft with a piece of aluminum tube.  Thanks

image.jpg

IMG_0181.JPG

IMG_0183.JPG

So I take a close up photo thinking these Gauges are really cool on the '40 Ford dash.  Then I notice the seats look like BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH and what is that glob in the middle of the dash?  Wish I had a magnifying glass with me, my details suck.  Wonder why this is taking so long?

IMG_0204.JPG

Edited by rmvw guy

• 3 months later...

Now I have added a '49 Merc to the mix, yes three unfinished projects.  I keep running into a brick wall.  I'm thinking of maybe calling them finished when they are unfinished, no.  It will come back, that feeling you get when you can't stop working on them and you get lost in time. 

IMG_5278.JPG

IMG_5279.JPG

For those considering building this woodie and are concerned about and the scale of the wood materials tat are available,google Uschi decals.They are super realistic wood grain decals that are available in a lot of scales.They make a specific decal set just for this kit and the results are amazing to see.They are also available on Ebay.

• 1 month later...

So I guess this one is done.  I was exploring more options on wheels and tires.  My 5 year old grandson was watching with great interest. He wanted to build a model with me and insisted he should take the '32 home to display with his collection.  He must have thought I gave him the okay because it is gone.  Well it's just a model right?

IMG_5627.JPG

IMG_5628.JPG

• 1 month later...