Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hay Haulers and Flat Beds..

Hello Guys,

I saw this recently on 10-4 Magazine and this rig just kills me.

photo -358 air cleaners 2_zpsyh1dh10e.jpg

For my taste, and room to shelve models, this is it.

On the walls of my room are big wooden historical sailing ships, some 3 feet long.  I'd love to build a bunch of trucks, and scratch build trailers.  I don't have room.  Period.

This style of truck has it all, my opinion.  One model, lots of details, compact and powerful looking.  This rig exudes class, I'm more than likely going to make my current project something like this.

Would you guys please show me more pics of short bed haulers?  Maybe links?  Do you have any models to show? 

How about details on how the bed is attached to the frame, I have no idea.  But I like what I see!

Yeah Rich, lets wait till Clayton shows up.  I was kind of suspecting Clayton might have an idea or two.

Hi Angel, that's a tough looking rig there for sure and I like it.  Real powerful and purposeful, I like these kind of models.  My current project needs though some smoother lines out back, that's why the hay hauler pictured has my interest.   I'd love to build a heavy dump truck or one similar to what you show here.   Great looking!

Hello Guys,

I saw this recently on 10-4 Magazine and this rig just kills me.

photo -358 air cleaners 2_zpsyh1dh10e.jpg

For my taste, and room to shelve models, this is it.

On the walls of my room are big wooden historical sailing ships, some 3 feet long.  I'd love to build a bunch of trucks, and scratch build trailers.  I don't have room.  Period.

This style of truck has it all, my opinion.  One model, lots of details, compact and powerful looking.  This rig exudes class, I'm more than likely going to make my current project something like this.

Would you guys please show me more pics of short bed haulers?  Maybe links?  Do you have any models to show? 

How about details on how the bed is attached to the frame, I have no idea.  But I like what I see!

just hit me but large car magazine runs a lot of show trucks and they used to have at least one model a month that would make you drool, haven't gotten my hands on one in awhile though.

Good ones Clayton!

I really think this is the way for me to go with my project.

These trucks look great!

QUESTION:  On the technical side, the headache racks, do they have to cover the whole backside of the cab?  What's the rule on this?

Clayton, do you have any pics from the rear, showing the truck bed setup?

OK.  I found out the length of the flat beds seems to be up to 24 ft.  That's a long bed!  That comes out to a scale of almost a foot! 

The frame on my project has already been stretched, the end of the frame is 8" away from the back of the cab.  I can't make a flat bed that hangs another 4" behind the frame, that would look silly.  I saw some 24 ft. flat beds on Peterbilts and they didn't hang over quite that much.  So I guess I can just eyeball it and let it be.  Just can't do it a real 1:25 scale.

Those are some awesome looking California Hay Haulers, Clayton.  We never see anything like that in New York.

Where are they hauling the hay to?  Are there just big hay farms in California, and they're just transporting it to some sort of distribution center?  Or are these deliveries to individual horse farms?

• 2 weeks later...

A big bump here.

Guys, I don't see any steps, or ladders on the sides of the flat beds.  Would this be a no no if I were to put the ladder I've already made, to use for a flat bed?

Ladders aren't cool...LOL. Typically they use the steps to get in the cab to get up on the deck. Then use the squeeze to get them down. And im sure your gonna ask, here's what a squeeze is.

LOL.  Clayton, flat bed truckers must have some long kind of legs!  At least on my build, they'd have to shimmy around a big exhaust stack too.  Dang, does this mean I need handles on the tall stacks? 

About the "squeeze", I'm lookin' and it's still a foreign object to me.  Is that some kind of HotRod forklift?

LOL.  Clayton, flat bed truckers must have some long kind of legs!  At least on my build, they'd have to shimmy around a big exhaust stack too.  Dang, does this mean I need handles on the tall stacks? 

About the "squeeze", I'm lookin' and it's still a foreign object to me.  Is that some kind of HotRod forklift?

The squeeze is just a fancy, street legal forklift. The pic I posted is a super fancy, show squeeze. Here's what it looks like at work. It loads a bunch of bales at one time.

Hi Rich, yes I think it would make a nice model.  Don't remember seeing a hay hauler type truck here on the forum.  I like it, looks clean, it's different, and solves my lacking shelf room for as trailer.  I'd have to lengthen the frame out back a little bit, but it's not finished anyway.   Hmm, sounding better all the time now.