Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hot Wheels Sweet 16 Tribute Collection Builds - Which one should be built next?

RestoModGuy

Hi Jim,

First of all thanks for the quick response to my mail. This is a great idea, I also had this itching a while back on doing my first 5 Hot Wheels from way back when they came out. 2 years ago I made my first one and showed it at the GSLXXV.  Currently working on the Cougar and the Beatnik Bandit.  Thanks again for allowing me to post this here.

deora_hotwheel_2.thumb.jpg.f739e6a06310a

Hi Jim,

First of all thanks for the quick response to my mail. This is a great idea, I also had this itching a while back on doing my first 5 Hot Wheels from way back when they came out. 2 years ago I made my first one and showed it at the GSLXXV.  Currently working on the Cougar and the Beatnik Bandit.  Thanks again for allowing me to post this here.

Oh man that is plain awesome idea to make the blister card as the display, well done! Thanks for sharing this, so cool...

I love the work you are doing!  Back in 1967 I participated in the Pinewood Derby and thought it would be great to have that type of track for my Matchbox cars.  The next year my wish was granted when the original Hot Wheels were released.  My first set was straight track with the one button starter box which had a clamp mount on the bottom of it.  That set came with two Camaros, each in a different color.  If memory serves, one was gold and the other dark blue.

Then we moved to Germany and I was very pleased to see they were available on the local market!  Here's what the ones I remember as a kid looked like!

Swingin_LightGreenBP.jpg

Oh, if only I had saved a few in the package!  

I've built and have had ideas for redoing more of my former toys in 1:24/5, so I love the idea and your execution of them is fantastic!  I never would have thought of using the Pegasus Ts, but they really fit the design.

Looking forward to seeing more!

• 1 month later...

They are all very nicely done, it can be difficult replicating Hotwheels due to all the different scales  with engines and wheels sometimes being out of proportion,

GREAT WORK..    ( I am about to start the "mild mill " soon..)

• 2 weeks later...

The T Bird is the best one yet, maybe because I had that exact car as a kid. I love the extra effort in the hood bulge.

Thanks Mike, you noticed the hood bulge, not many pick up on that detail, it's exactly like the Hot Wheel car.

I didn't do the hood detail on the Custom Cougar prior to painting but thinking about crafting a set and attaching to the hood. All other builds I will be more attentive to the hood detail as I was on the T-Bird. 

• 2 weeks later...

Still very cool. I still waiting to see more!

I have all the kits to finish building the entire Sweet 16 Collection.

All will be built, hard time deciding on which one is next on the workbench... 

Beatnik Bandit - Custom Cuda - Custom Camaro - Custom Corvette - Custom Eldorado - Custom Firebird - Custom Fleetside - Custom Mustang - Custom Volkswagen - Ford J Car - Python - Silhouette

Most comment votes by this time next week, is the one I'll jump onto next.

IMG_3345.jpg

Very cool!!!!! I have the two, factory made 1/24 Hotwheels from the Redline Club. I also have a 1/24 new Dodge Challenger built as a Hotwheel in "Spectraflame" purple with "Hotwheels" wheels and redline tires.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Very cool!!!!! I have the two, factory made 1/24 Hotwheels from the Redline Club. I also have a 1/24 new Dodge Challenger built as a Hotwheel in "Spectraflame" purple with "Hotwheels" wheels and redline tires.

image.jpeg

Cool, did not know they produced 1/24 scale HW. Makes sense they do/did

The custom fleetside has my vote and l love what you're doin great builds and great concept! 

I was thinking that would be one of my next few in line. I've had other votes for the Fleetside from other groups too. This one will take the most time to build and create, but lucky, that's my favorite part is the custom bodywork 

• 1 year later...

My vote,  lol! These all happen to be the US version with the early "all caps" base where the word VOLKSWAGEN is fully capitalized, versus later versions where only the "V" is capitalized. 

Mike 

20171110_081405.thumb.jpg.0bcd77eb851ad3ac6f454df9c76a13d7.jpg

5a5aaec216420_2017-11-1008_38_14.jpg.dd3a6b753569825221c3db8b1ae9ed02.jpg

Edited by mecklm
Added 2nd pic