Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mack B83SX Heavy Hauler Under Construction

FINALLY fought off a spell of builder's block, and actually got back to the bench.  Got the wheels and rims from Mo'Luminum, the old Mark Savage resin tires, the modified Jim Etter MTFA cab, V8 engine and the chassis all in paint.  Felt good to get back at it.  Probably going to paint the fenders black and then lots of detailing to do.  

IMG_7665.JPG

IMG_7666.JPG

IMG_7667.JPG

Edited by redneckrigger

• 2 weeks later...

Got the lowboy this old girl is going to pull all done so it's back to work on this.  (Check it out in "Under Glass"). Put the company decals on the cab and got the interior ready to install. The gauge decals from Slixx work, well, slick!  

IMG_7768.JPG

IMG_7769.JPG

IMG_7787.JPG

IMG_7793.JPG

Edited by redneckrigger

Had what news channels would have us believe was the storm of the century this weekend..............was a flash in the pan, as we only got about 24" of snow. Where I live a blizzard is 40-50". Guess they must be sponsored by the super markets! BUT, the good part is that I decided to put some serious build time in on my B815 Mack. So, I finished up the interior, installed the glass, installed the wheels and tires, got all of the chrome trim coated with Molotow Chrome, painted the radiator shutters, fitted the rear fenders, finished all of the wiring and plumbing, installed the interior, and decided to answer all the questions about whether I had a load for my newly completed lowboy. Yup, we do. Readsboro Heavy Haulers is an old company that has been around for over 50 years, so we have lots of old iron sitting around. Here are photos of some of it................still have lots more! Still have to install all of the chrome trim and mirrors, the suzie lines for the air, the wet line hoses, front fender flares, paint the rear fenders and install them, install all of the lights, intake air filter and ducts, exhaust system, and various other fine details. But, got a lot done, and can see the light at the end of the tunnel!

IMG_7858.JPG

IMG_7859.JPG

IMG_7860.JPG

IMG_7861.JPG

IMG_7862.JPG

IMG_7863.JPG

IMG_7864.JPG

IMG_7865.JPG

IMG_7866.JPG

IMG_7867.JPG

IMG_7868.JPG

IMG_7869.JPG

IMG_7870.JPG

IMG_7871.JPG

IMG_7872.JPG

IMG_7873.JPG

IMG_7874.JPG

IMG_7875.JPG

Edited by redneckrigger

Well, typical for my projects, I had to go backwards a couple of steps. When I first mocked up this build, I used kit wheels and the stock DM800 front axle width was fine. Knowing that these axles are usually too wide, it seemed okay. However once I put the front tires in with the Moluminum wheels, which had a bit more offset, the tires stuck out way beyond the edge of the front fenders. So, back into the shop where the mechanics removed the front axle and shortened it by 3/8" and reinstalled it. Back to the finish shop, and she is back on schedule! Got the chrome hood trim all added, the horns, the mirrors, grille guard, wipers, and the headlights and marker lights. Have to install the vent windows yet , taillights and suzies. Still making up my mind about what kind of air cleaner to equip her with. Think shes looking pretty good!

IMG_7892.JPG

IMG_7893.JPG

IMG_7894.JPG

IMG_7895.JPG

IMG_7896.JPG

IMG_7897.JPG

IMG_7898.JPG

IMG_7899.JPG

IMG_7900.JPG

Edited by redneckrigger

2 hours ago, Jim B said:

Great looking Mack, Tom.  I like the detail you're putting into this one.

Oh, nice bike in your avatar.  Is that a CB750?

Thanks for the good words............I ALWAYS get carried away with the details!

The avatar is a 1978 Yamaha XS-750 E, triple cylinder, shaft drive. I bought it new, and it still sits in my garage, right next to her replacement, a 2000 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Geezer-Glide!

This will be the last posting of the Mack here.  The next stop will be in Under Glass.  Got the rest of the chrome trim on, the lights, rear fenders, air intake and exhaust system, radiator hoses, winch cable and hook and vent windows.  Still have to apply license plates, decals, light weathering, radiator support, underwood detail wiring, and go over it to make sure I didn't miss anything.  It's about as good as it's going to get!

IMG_7987.JPG

IMG_7988.JPG

IMG_7990.JPG

IMG_7991.JPG

IMG_7992.JPG

• redneckrigger changed the title to Mack B83SX Heavy Hauler Under Construction