Model Cars Magazine Forum

How About Some Stalled Projects?

Do you have a Shelf of Doom? That's what I call the area in the Snakepit where models go to...well, not die, always, but go to sleep for a long, long time. Stuff I've lost interest in for one reason or another. Sometimes one of these will escape, or be rescued. In the last few years, I've finished up a '69 Chevelle I painted in the early '90s, at least four model airplanes I started around 2002, and several other car projects begun between 2000 and 2007.

So, do you have anything that's, let's say, at least 50% finished (but not of course completed), and was started at least ten years (or so) ago? Let's see some! I think the only such project I have a pic of on Photobucket is this Revell '69 Camaro, which I painted MCW Fathom Green in our old apartment, and we moved into this house in 1993. But if there's any interest in this thread, I can think of at least three others I have dating back to 1969 or so that meet the criteria that I could take a couple pics of.

Here's one of mine; let's see what's on your Shelf of Doom!

Yeah, all of mine are stalled. If I put them up, it would just be the same bunch of halfway stuff I've been showing here for years. No time again, not for the next year probably, at least. :(

Oh, what the hell. Here's a few..

DSCN7608.jpg

DSCN2761.jpg

DSCN8147.jpg

158_zpse8396721.jpg

DSCN1204_zpseb9d9c2c.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I started a Tamiya Mazda MX-5 Miata (modified to be the M-edition) for my girlfriend who used to own the real car.  That was in 1997. I got as far as getting the Merlot Mica paint, BBS RG wheels and photoetchign the emblems. I'll finish that model someday . . .

Hmmm, not sure what's going on, but can't seem to upload only 1 or 2 pics & nowhere close to being over the limit

in size.

I have so many that I have started & then they have stalled. This one here was started in 2003. My Dodge welder truck.

I put in 256 hours of work in just 80 straight days. Didn't finish it & haven't touched it since.

Really want to finish it,but also thinking about  tearing it all apart and redoing it. 

tomspicmytrk-vi.jpg

Edited by Lordmodelbuilder

......at this time,,,,,, AMT 76 Gremlin X,  AMT 65 Chevelle  wagon,  AMT 53 Ford pickup, original AMT  64 Corvette coupe, and the AMT 68 Roadrunner I'm actually working on as we speak.... most all of these go back  2 or 3 years from starting them, and I actually  have performed lots of work on each one, but getting side tracked by looking at, and making plans to build others. between buying kits all the time, then taping parts together and figuring out each project as I would like to build it, others end up stalled, boxed away, or  just  forgotten for long periods. I bought 3 new kits today, but am determined to follow thru on my present build,,,,I'm leaving them sealed.....for now...lol......the Ace....:lol:

Great idea for a post. 

This build is 9 years old, was final assembly when while pulling the lid off my zap-ca, it spurted out on the paint and rear window. 

I was so upset it sat in a box until last year when I finally sanded down the effected areas to re-spray.

This one 8 years old.

AMT Scirocco w/scratch build 16V running ITBs.

And this was supposed to be my quick build to get me motivated to finish the VWs

That is now 2+ years old 

Modern heat extractor hood

Needed modern chassis 

And motor...

I have three from  last year i will try to finish this year. One that i stopped this year. I have no shelf of doom. I feel better about 7 i finished last year and 2 this year so far..If I don't finish them they don't stay around but only one in the last 3 years went to a final resting place..

Edited by slusher

Oh yeah. Lots of hangar queens.

First the Puma ATRV. Mostly scratch built.

'32 Ford bobber

My Olds Ute

'51 Chevy 

Allison powered '67 Charger

Skinnie Minnie - I'm not really sure yet what it will be when it grows up.

Plus a few that were in the works but have taken a different path and it's back to the 'ol drawing board.

Hmmm, not sure what's going on, but can't seem to upload only 1 or 2 pics & nowhere close to being over the limit

in size.

I have so many that I have started & then they have stalled. This one here was started in 2003. My Dodge welder truck.

I put in 256 hours of work in just 80 straight days. Didn't finish it & haven't touched it since.

Really want to finish it,but also thinking about  tearing it all apart and redoing it. 

tomspicmytrk-vi.jpg

Brad... That is very nice...love the bed.

I have way too many stalled projects mostly restorations due to lack of the right part or parts or ones that will work....must be well over 100 of them.<_<

Wow, great response, fellas! Maybe this thread will motivate some of us to actually finish some of these projects. (Whenever I use the word "finish," one of my model airplane friends says, "What! You're supposed to actually finish them?" :blink:)

I don't pay much attention to dates and time but many of the many are over 10 years in the sleeping box. Pictures I do have and many will have seen these in one stage or another. I can hear their muffled cries for attention every time I decent the stairs to the shop ..

32 Chrysler Hot Hod

32ChryslerPaintBlue-silverblueframeDSC_5

32 Hot Rod

redDSC_1364_zps5b3d828f.jpg

49 Mercury

flashDSC_8118.jpg

Renault CV

woodSide_DSC3560.jpg

56 Kombi

door%20hinge%20VW%20DSC_2060_zpsz0o3x7ri

59 Impala

59Chevy_DSC0313.jpg

60's Dragster

60sdragsterfrontDSC_7951.jpg

61 Valiant

61Valiant_DSC2601.jpg

Dodge A-100 work truck

rust%20base%20DSC_1552_zpsrqruqcg7.jpg

TR4A

black%20interior%20DSC_1753_zpswatxesrw.

69 VW Bug

diagarm2DSC_1177_zps4a80362e.jpg

81 Porsche 924 Turbo

NACAholeplateDSC_8967.jpg

91 and 84 Porsche 944

flareprotectorDSC_1330_zps54f06335.jpg

92 Crown Victoria

92CrownVicRubbed_DSC1963.jpg

95 Subaru Legacy

95LegacyDashFront_DSC9811.jpg

Citroen 15CV

CitroenSpindleDSC_4602.jpg

Infiniti G35

G35%20gloss%20DSC_2053_zpsevhuemgz.jpg

Subaru Sambar

SubaruSambaGreenDSC_1437_zpsf60b691d.jpg

Edited by Foxer

Yeah, all of mine are stalled. If I put them up, it would just be the same bunch of halfway stuff I've been showing here for years. No time again, not for the next year probably, at least. :(

Oh, what the hell. Here's a few..

DSCN7608.jpg

DSCN2761.jpg

Your Hot Rod and Kustom builds are soo inspiring Bill. After getting so far on some of them, I don't think I could stop. They're works of art!

Oh yeah. Lots of hangar queens.

First the Puma ATRV. Mostly scratch built.

2013-05-19215856_zps132e54c7.jpg

'32 Ford bobber

2014-05-26%2013.01.09_zpsowsl3lgw.jpg

My Olds Ute

20160505_065727_zps6lyllo7e.jpg

'51 Chevy 

20160327_184225_zpsqwqt9kjz.jpg

Allison powered '67 Charger

20150603_195200_zpsbuz0rqjo.jpg

Skinnie Minnie - I'm not really sure yet what it will be when it grows up.

20150916_210754_zpsw38cx4fo.jpg

Plus a few that were in the works but have taken a different path and it's back to the 'ol drawing board.

I wondered what happened with your Olds. Just to cool to let it die.

Your Hot Rod and Kustom builds are soo inspiring Bill. After getting so far on some of them, I don't think I could stop. They're works of art!

Thank you sir. The two you highlighted are the two closest to done, but I put a '37 nose on the channeled / sectioned '40 speedster (just to see what it could look like) and though I like it, it needs to get back to the original design shown here. The '32 is so close, I just need some self-discipline to get the small stuff done....but it's hard for me to get on the bench when I know I'm only going to get in 15 minutes or so.:D

Couldnt agree more!!  Bill your stuff is always a delight, finished or not... its still cool. 

Here is a fun one i haven't touched in over a year....

I like to keep my unfinished stuff on display, so they are a constant reminder to get my act together and finish what I'm working on now, so I can get back to them. Does that make sense?

I do have two on my build desks, but one is in progress. The Batmobile Tumbler gets camo paint. It stalled in the middle of masking.

The ones on display are: Charlie Allen F/C with Deora hauler. Needs paint, decalage, assembly, details, etc.

Next is the QuarterMaster 4 engine Daytona. Needs nose hinge, 4 blower hats with linkage, paint and decals.

Finally, what started as a 1/16 Hawaiian will be Don Schumacher's Wonder Wagon. I wiped out 2 Charger bodies after clear coats fish eyed around the decal edges.

In other words, all four have paint issues. I'm starting to sense a pattern here......

20160519_085326.thumb.jpg.ee4e1f17332b5e20160519_082952.thumb.jpg.d76005af067e5920160519_083000.thumb.jpg.a8e9e8ec13b3a720160519_083023.thumb.jpg.900302f9db2e5e20160519_085326.jpg

Edited by Nytrozilla

oldermodelbuilds003-vi.jpgIMC Bug.Started in the early 70's. Built it stock. Then in the 80's I made it front engine with Chevy power. Have located most of the parts & will put it back to VW power & Cal Look itolderModels002-vi.jpgOld mid engine Hemi powered IMSA style Datsun pickup I started in 1982. Never finished

Picture741-vi.jpg

Shortened this Bus in 76. Got it painted in the 2005. Here it sits.

MVC899S-vi.jpg

Started in 1977.

olderModels002-vi.jpg

2002 start of a Phantom 65 Blazer.

Picture673-vi.jpg

Started this Caddy truck in 2002.

oldermodelbuilds003-vi.jpg

Started this one in the 90's for a 30-day build contest at a local hobby shop. Close,but didn't finish.

oldermodelbuilds013-vi.jpg

2002 build for an online 454 SS contest. I was building a 67 454 SS.