Model Cars Magazine Forum

56 Ford Nomad

Yenkocamaro

Hey Guys, I posted this 1/18 build back when I first joined here, and its been on the back burner for awhile. I just recently started working on it again, and have the roof permanently attached now, and started on the body work. I did a mock up pic to show you where I am on it, but I'm looking for a favor. If anyone is good at photo shopping, could you remove the fender skirt, and expose the part of the wheel that would be showing? I can't make up my mind, if I want to remove the fender skirt, or not, so I figured photo shopping the pic would work. Thanks to anyone who can help, as I have no idea how.

Cheers,

Lance 

DSCN0876.JPG

Edited by Yenkocamaro

hi lance  thats a nice build u have going on if it was mine id take off the  fender skirt thats just me. good luck with the build hope to see more hope this pic helps a bit

c02edc4bcdf29fa133f778e9b1a30c9b.jpg

Edited by dragzz

Thanks to all for your vote:) Looks like its unanimous! Sure wish I could have seen it without them, with someone photoshopping the pic.

Thanks for the pic Thomas, at least its basically the same car.

Cheers,

Lance 

Edited by Yenkocamaro

Lance, I'm now thinking that if you went with the two tone like the red and white car you would be okay with the skirts. The rear panel just looks too large in one color, my reasoning on removing the skirts. 

Lance, I'm now thinking that if you went with the two tone like the red and white car you would be okay with the skirts. The rear panel just looks too large in one color, my reasoning on removing the skirts. 

Hey Tom, yes, I had planned on a two tone paint job. Purple-licious, and pearl white. Actually, I just attended the monthly Model/Diecast show, this past Sunday, and had the Ford Nomad on display on my table, and it drew a lot of attention, and even offers to buy it,  the way it was! I must have asked 30 to 40 people their opinion on the skirts, and every one said to leave them on, and I agree. Hard to explain, but it just completes the custom look.

Cheers,

Lance

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys, just a little update on the Ford Nomad. When I pulled this project back out to start where I left off, I threw a small surfboard in the back, sticking out of the rear window area, and it got me thinking about adding one. I have a 1/18 diecast Ford Woodie, that had a large surfboard, so I threw it on top of the Nomad. Hmmmm... I was hooked on the idea, so I scratchbuilt a surfboard carrier, and cut the brackets on a 30 Degree angle to follow the angle of the roofline pillars, and kept that theme through the rest of the build. I tried to keep it as simple as possible, so as not to be obtrusive, and take away from the look of the car. At this point it will stay removable, just in case I decide not to use it, or I could display it either way. Thanks for looking.

Cheers,

Lance 

DSCN0902.JPG

DSCN0906.JPG

DSCN0905.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Great idea Lance. Looks nice!

Thanks Tom.:) I've started work on the interior. Still not certain what I will end up with, but I'd like to get rid of that bulky split bench seat. Thanks to my gathering parts over the years, I have a few Authentics 65 Fastback Mustang parts cars, so I threw in a Mustang center console, and seats. Unfortunately, the rear seat has a different seat pattern, so that would need to be fixed.

Cheers,

Lance

DSCN0927.JPG

DSCN0928.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Much better.  Will you be able to use the Mustang rear seat?  Another option would to be remove it and fill the floor in as if folded down.

I thought about it, Tom. But the back seat in the fastback, has that hinged panel, which kind of messes with the full use of the back of the seat, plus its not wide enough. I was going to go with the same buckets in the back, and extend the console, and thanks to Marlowe who sent me the parts I needed, that was the plan. But after looking at the rear side panels, I think I'm going to go with the bench rear seat, and redo the seat pattern in the bench. I also had removed the door handles, and door locks, and was trying my hand at those recessed type handles, but honestly don't want to drill open the door so they fit flush. The one I made is 15 thousands thick plastic, and that was a real pain to form, with my big fingers:angry: 

Cheers,

Lance

DSCN0931.JPG

DSCN0930.JPG

Lance,

Just a thought but here's a couple of optional ideas for the rear seat area.  You mentioned that the rear seat I sent you is too narrow.  One option would be to widened it using a second rear seat.  (I have one if you want it).  The chrome trim pieces could be covered with bare metal foil.  That might be a bit more work than you wanted to invest.  

The other option would be to use the front buckets in the rear.  But heck, it's your model so perhaps your original bench seat idea might still be the best way to go too.  ;)

Paint it black and tint the windows real dark,lol 

Lance, I'm sure if it can be done, you are the man!

Thanks Tom, I appreciate your confidence in me:D Yes, it can be done, but as I told Marlowe, this started out to be a slammed style model, but I have a bad habit of adding things to the build as I go along, instead of sticking to the plan! The interior was supposed to stay stock.....at least that was the plan:lol:

Cheers,

Lance