Model Cars Magazine Forum

I haven't had much bench time lately but trying to get this done for a friend of mine.He owns several fine older 1:1 Macks that he works and I'd like to surprise him with this one.He's been a little under the weather lately and I figured this might cheer him up.

image.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got the paint to where I think it might be respectable.Shot a couple more color coats,wet sanded with 2000 then cleared.I am using Model Master enamel and the metallic gave me fits.A friend of mine that paints cars for a living says that's why he stays away from enamel,lol.I just found it very difficult to get an even coat,especially on the chassis.Anyway,not perfect but time to move on.

Got the bogies on today and everything pivots and rolls nice.I had problems with the tires like others had posted so I had an old bicycle tire tube patch which I cut up and glued on the wheels.Unfortunately I'm having difficulties with the front tires.If I put them together so they roll the part of the wheel with the square notch pulls out.Tomorrow's another day.

image.jpeg

Nice color.  What color you will paint the interior?

Thanks guys.Angel,since this truck is an older steel dash,I've painted it with a blue/green Tamiya paint.I've searched online and the interior colors range from minty green to aquamarine.This color looks a little more weathered and I figured since the rest of the truck was all green this color would provide a little contrast.The paint can that the left fender is propped up on is the paint I used.I know the seats should be a dark brown but I currently have them painted a flat aircraft interior black.Most of the older Macks that I have seen have seats so faded they almost look black but if I find the right brown I might change them.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got the paint to where I think it might be respectable.Shot a couple more color coats,wet sanded with 2000 then cleared.I am using Model Master enamel and the metallic gave me fits.A friend of mine that paints cars for a living says that's why he stays away from enamel,lol.I just found it very difficult to get an even coat,especially on the chassis.Anyway,not perfect but time to move on.

Got the bogies on today and everything pivots and rolls nice.I had problems with the tires like others had posted so I had an old bicycle tire tube patch which I cut up and glued on the wheels.Unfortunately I'm having difficulties with the front tires.If I put them together so they roll the part of the wheel with the square notch pulls out.Tomorrow's another day.

image.jpeg

i had thesame problem with the wheels and tires but fixed the problem las week....just haven't posted yet. On the steers all you need to do is and down the area where the wheel halves fit into each other onboth sides. That is the ouer lipon the inside of the chrome side and th recessed area it fits into on the other side. Ill pot before pics tomorrow ifi remember, but here are sme after pics

Thanks Jeff,Gator and Gino!

Thanks Sam,I think I created my own problem when I trimmed the star on the inner wheel half.I should have been a little neater because I think I took too much material off.I found a workaround but not as nearly good as yours.I will definitely keep it mind for any future builds!

Thanks Jeff,Gator and Gino!

Thanks Sam,I think I created my own problem when I trimmed the star on the inner wheel half.I should have been a little neater because I think I took too much material off.I found a workaround but not as nearly good as yours.I will definitely keep it mind for any future builds!

now one thing I forgot to mention, i used aftermarket tires because the stock ones still didn't fit. You truck is looking good though, cant wait to see it finished!

• 4 weeks later...

I've been real busy lately but managed to get a little work done today.Did a little BMF work on the fuel tank straps and air cleaner and mounted the tanks and a battery box and stack.Hope to pick up the pace soon and look forward to catching up the forum!

image.jpeg