Model Cars Magazine Forum

Final post for a little while - 68 Dart GTS

Kmb0319

As I mentioned in the WIP thread, this is my last build for a little while.  After moving to AL for a job nine years ago from St. Louis, MO, a shift in my job is relocating us back to St. Louis.  I had started the WIP thread really more documenting my last build before moving... I don't think anyone else really needs to see how one of these is built, and I realize I'm not "moving the needle" when it comes to technique... but I wasn't certain if I would finish before moving.

Well, it made it.  Nothing spectacular, but I did wire the engine, add battery cables, flocked the carpet

.  I had plans to use the smaller of the two AMT Goodyear Polyglas tires with some wheels from another kit... they looked great with this.  But, this is another one of those Revell kits with the slightly larger diameter wheel/tire combo (while a nice standard size, they look a little too low profile for 60s muscle cars, to my eyes), so while the tire and wheel were great with the kit, the wheel backs were too large.  The other issue was that those AMT pad-printed Goodyears are really soft and pliable, so it's difficult to get a wheel to "lock" into them firmly, and that larger wheel back was stretching them out of shape.  So, I used the kit tires, a set of Cragars from the 67 GTX kit, painted them with Duplicolor Chrome to bring the shine down and then painted the centers to look like Torq thrusts.  With the paint color, I'll call this one the gray ghost.

Overall, this may be Revell's best kit.  The last few I've built... 67 GTX, 69 Nova, 69 Shelby have all fit together beautifully, but this one is just beautifully engineered.  Detail where it needs to be to enhance the model, but not overly complicated (If Revell gives me one more model with a two-piece  rear view mirror, I might make the news..  it's hard enough to get those tiny things to sit upright without sliding and getting glue all over the paint, now let's make the mirror and its base separate pieces for frustration's sake!) But this kit also had markings in the body for where the door handles, mirror and wipers go that simplified placing them, had a better receptacle to place the interior rear view mirror... just little things that made this kit a pleasure.

All for now.... next post will be my 71 Charger that will be built in our new home.  On to a few pics:

Interior before it went in:

68_Dart_13.thumb.jpg.3396fa4282d71ad793d

This was the Hemi kit... i'll build it and use it in another car, but I went with the 440 here.

68_Dart_9.thumb.jpg.58984db55dc53d97e9a9

The rest...

68_Dart_1.thumb.JPG.3792badde3f2654efdda

68_Dart_2.thumb.jpg.74c25e93e73b1660764a

68_Dart_5.thumb.jpg.fd172c4ac91876012543

Took a couple outside.. liked this one.

68_Dart_10.thumb.jpg.cb8e6d37af69a303937