Model Cars Magazine Forum

see i`m different than a bunch of you - i`m retired  and every once in a awhile  i  wonder how much time i spend on a build  not a stalled build  but one  that is  kept goin at a normal pace - does anyone do a  [ start to finish  ] model in  say  2 weeks ??? - just curious - 

I used to build 1-2 models a month regularly when I was working.  Since retirement, I still build about two per month, but I tend to take my time now and not rush things.  My stash should last me three years, but of course I keep adding to it ;).

Stan.... I have done some in less than a couple of days before but do like to take my time on them more now.  I also have days,weeks,etc. where my hands are pretty much all numb so some progress is very slow at times just too hard to build like that.  One good thing about snaps and promo like stuff is I can try to still stay busy at with them...LOL..

I've built some curbside kits in about 3 weeks to a month, but nothing really shorter than that.

Lately I've been building more detailed builds with engines & they've been taking me an average of around 2 months.

But I am still employed full time so I only get time at the bench on the weekends & occasionally a little in the evening.

I suspect I could crank them out in about half that time if I was retired.

Hopefully someday! :)

Steve

Like Steve, I have to work, so building time is on an "as available" basis... so it's hard to say how long it would take me to build a model if I worked at it steadily. I really have no idea. I just don't pay attention to it. The length of time it takes me to finish a model is completely irrelevant to me.

A few years ago, I was divorced and rather settled into an easy routine with work, and was able to slam out about two builds a month. now I am re-married, and in a bit higher stress job. At best I can finish a kit in about 30 days. If work is being difficult, or a lot of life stuff comes up, it can take about two months. But not that long ago I did a vacation build, and slammed one out in a week.

This one is at 2 weeks and includes the flatbed trailer that goes with it but I have started a couple others during that time as well. I just did the finishing touches on it today. These pics are a couple days old. Most builds take much longer or stall for me though, or outlast my attention span but for some reason this Dodge L700 held my interest. In fact I'm considering getting another for a dump body.

104_1225.jpg

104_1232.jpg

Edited by dshue76