Model Cars Magazine Forum

1965 Grand Prix ...

The Bonneville lives.  I knew I had a "post-2+2" issue of this kit somewhere in my stash.  Sure enough, it's the 2004 Buyer's Choice issue.  I took a quick look; the body, interior, grille, dash, rear trim panel etc are identical to the Prestige Bonneville.  To my naked eye, they're the same pieces...like the 2+2 never happened.    

Sound like good news, but...... Looking at Yuri Andyushenko's build of the Buyer's Choice kit in the "Underglass" section here, makes me question a few things. There were a few things that didn't look quite right on the model in his photographs. Which make me question if the original tooling was lost in converting the kit to the 2+2? Then later, Ertl realized the mistake they had made and tryed converting it back to the Bonneville? I hope I'm wrong on this theory. And that the Bonnevile dies/tooling is still intact.

The few things that make me question if the tool has been messed with? On Yuri's Bonneville the front fender badge, just behind the front wheel well is missing. I'm also not seeing the Bonneville nameplate that should be in the driver's side upper segment of the grille. And I can not tell from his photos, but the rocker panels don't look quite right to me. They look too smooth. There should be horizontal ribs/fluting on the rockers.

He also shows some very nice photos of the interior before he installed it into the rest of the kit. There is some talk here that Ertl changed the upholstery pattern in the dies when converting the Bonneville into the 2+2. Is the upholstery pattern in Yuri's build correct for the original Bonne kit? Or has it been changed?

By the way, Yuri's Buyer's Choice Bonneville is a beautiful build. As nice of a AMT Bonneville as I've ever seen. So the problem isn't Yuri's build from what I can see. I'm waiting to hear his reply on things I questioned about his kit. The only thing I know for sure, from what I can see in his photos, are the missing fender badges.

Sound like good news, but...... Looking at Yuri Andyushenko's build of the Buyer's Choice kit in the "Underglass" section here, makes me question a few things. There were a few things that didn't look quite right on the model in his photographs. Which make me question if the original tooling was lost in converting the kit to the 2+2? Then later, Ertl realized the mistake they had made and tryed converting it back to the Bonneville? I hope I'm wrong on this theory. And that the Bonnevile dies/tooling is still intact.

The few things that make me question if the tool has been messed with? On Yuri's Bonneville the front fender badge, just behind the front wheel well is missing. I'm also not seeing the Bonneville nameplate that should be in the driver's side upper segment of the grille. And I can not tell from his photos, but the rocker panels don't look quite right to me. They look too smooth. There should be horizontal ribs/fluting on the rockers.

He also shows some very nice photos of the interior before he installed it into the rest of the kit. There is some talk here that Ertl changed the upholstery pattern in the dies when converting the Bonneville into the 2+2. Is the upholstery pattern in Yuri's build correct for the original Bonne kit? Or has it been changed?

By the way, Yuri's Buyer's Choice Bonneville is a beautiful build. As nice of a AMT Bonneville as I've ever seen. So the problem isn't Yuri's build from what I can see. I'm waiting to hear his reply on things I questioned about his kit. The only thing I know for sure, from what I can see in his photos, are the missing fender badges.

I repeat....my Buyer's Choice Bonneville looks identical to the Prestige Bonneville.  Fender badges, upholstery, fluted rocker trim, grille etc etc.

FYI...I opened a Prestige Bonneville, a 2+2 and a Buyer's Choice Bonneville and compared all three.....   

Edited by pack rat

I have a Buyers Choice Bonneville and I was curious to see for myself what it looked like. I also looked at Yura's build pics too.

On my reissue  I notice the front fender badges are quite faint - the driver's side is almost indistinct. I would suggest that light sanding prep and a layer of primer will make them invisible - but they are there.

The Bonneville script is in the grille but hard to see - it is visible in Yura's pics too - where he shows the headlight rework.

Rocker panel ribs are there - maybe a dark wash on the foil or bright silver may help to pop the detail a bit better -  cant comment on any change as I do not have an original to compare it to. Same goes for the upholstery.

Thanks guys for the additional info...the guys at Round 2 are also checking on this....not a clear answer yet.   If someone can post detail pictures of the c2004 reissue, I can compare those to the Prestige Series and earlier released here in my stash...including the front fender nomenclature, grille, interior patterns, etc  

Best...TIM 

Thanks guys for the additional info...the guys at Round 2 are also checking on this....not a clear answer yet.   If someone can post detail pictures of the c2004 reissue, I can compare those to the Prestige Series and earlier released here in my stash...including the front fender nomenclature, grille, interior patterns, etc  

Best...TIM 

They are indeed checking on this; my Buyer's Choice kit will be in John G's hands tomorrow.  I snapped a few quick pics of my Prestige (white plastic) and Buyer's Choice (grey) kits.   Sorry if the pics are a little off...just quickies before I packed them up.

I also noticed something else typical of the RC2 era; the Buyer's Choice box art kit wears vintage AMT redline Firestone Supremes mounted on MPC(!) 8-lug wheels, neither of which are in the box.  Something you won't see happening with Round2.   

zDSCN1452.JPG

zDSCN1451.JPG

zDSCN1453.JPG

zDSCN1454.JPG

zDSCN1455.JPG

Remember being told by somebody with good connections in the RC2 days (think it was Tom Carter) that the mold was actually changed back to the Bonneville for the Buyer's Choice issue. Haven't carefully compared parts between the issues, but it makes sense because some of the engraving in the pictures above looks slightly different between the two issues (in particular the front fender badge looks smaller on the gray body).

Remember being told by somebody with good connections in the RC2 days (think it was Tom Carter) that the mold was actually changed back to the Bonneville for the Buyer's Choice issue. Haven't carefully compared parts between the issues, but it makes sense because some of the engraving in the pictures above looks slightly different between the two issues (in particular the front fender badge looks smaller on the gray body).

Yes..that makes sense.  Something that doesn't show up in my top photo is a very faint suggestion of a border surrounding the Bonneville lettering on the rear quarter of the BC body, as if an insert was added to the tool. 

Back to Grand Prix itself. I got mine last night at the MCCM meeting. Got the "Original Art" version. Mainly for the white plastic. Very nice to open the box and see an old, untamped with, friend. I love the extras in this kit. Even if I never use them. A good old traditional AMT kit. I love it.

Back to Grand Prix itself. I got mine last night at the MCCM meeting. Got the "Original Art" version. Mainly for the white plastic. Very nice to open the box and see an old, untamped with, friend. I love the extras in this kit. Even if I never use them. A good old traditional AMT kit. I love it.

......glad you like your kit...I like mine as well. loaded with neat stuff.....I think the blower/Weber setup will make it onto my 36 Ford with its Pontiac engine gasser option.....but, OOOPS...lets stick to the Gran Prix in this Gran Prix forum, because like you said, Scott, back to the GP,,,, its annoying when every discussion it seems spins into everything else in the world, and it gets old real quick. if I want world news, i'll watch CNN....best,,,the Ace...:lol:

......glad you like your kit...I like mine as well. loaded with neat stuff.....I think the blower/Weber setup will make it onto my 36 Ford with its Pontiac engine gasser option.....but, OOOPS...lets stick to the Gran Prix in this Gran Prix forum, because like you said, Scott, back to the GP,,,, its annoying when every discussion it seems spins into everything else in the world, and it gets old real quick. if I want world news, i'll watch CNN....best,,,the Ace...:lol:

I'm okay with the spinning off on the Bonneville. I've found it very interesting and actually hope it continues. But, since the original focus was on the Bonneville's sister, the Grand Prix, it's okay to slip back in that direction too.

I'm okay with the spinning off on the Bonneville. I've found it very interesting and actually hope it continues. But, since the original focus was on the Bonneville's sister, the Grand Prix, it's okay to slip back in that direction too.

.....no doubt....the Ace...;)