Model Cars Magazine Forum

1965 Grand Prix ...

I just got mine. It is the flat box with the black background and the road test parts. The model is for the most part as I remember it from the 70's.

I had the white background with the teal custom on the lid. The model has a lot of little bits of flash. Chrome is good and plentifull with 3 wheel choices and a bag full of tires. for me is the color used on the second set of glass which is a faint tinted turquise /' teal color and should match the teal paint I want to use.

It can be built stock, drag or two custom treatments, there are two front facias and two rear valances to mix and match. same custom parts for the interor. engine is fair but the chassis has all of the detail molded in. Typical mid 60's tooling.

The instructions lack any insert to show how to work with the extra parts. Still trying to find all of the parts to gather them together.

I am building the custom shown on the box. Teal with pearl white interior. Not sure on the wheels yet.

I had the flatbox version in hand Friday at my LHS, but grabbed the Der Beetle Bus and 75 Vette  instead.  my dealer didn't have the regular box version molded in teal, so I would like to see the contents of both before choosing one. will make a great tow car for a drag GTO or Firebird I would say......the Ace....:rolleyes:

I started the model late last night. I am now cleaning up some body lines. I took off the crease and emblem on the trunk lid, shaved the door handles and locks, fender badges, chrome off of the side body contour and the crease on the fender top over the headlights. the hood is too long compaired to the artwork and the front pan is too low. time for a trim.

65Poncho.jpg

65Ponchobox.jpg

I'd like to have one molded in Teal. Are these clearly marked, or differently boxed, or whatever?

Richard, the molded- in - teal deal is in the regular box, no tinted glass, and NO slicks. not sure if that one has the test equipment,,,,saw  it locally Friday, i'll grab one this week....the Ace...:rolleyes:......NOTE--- this has the test equipment as well, and a smaller decal sheet.....

Edited by AC Norton
text

I started the model late last night. I am now cleaning up some body lines. I took off the crease and emblem on the trunk lid, shaved the door handles and locks, fender badges, chrome off of the side body contour and the crease on the fender top over the headlights. the hood is too long compaired to the artwork and the front pan is too low. time for a trim.

65Poncho.jpg

65Ponchobox.jpg

Steve, could you tell us more about the tires in this version, and the decals as well.....thanks in advance,,,,the Ace...:)

I don't care about the test equipment, got that in the old Prestige issue (might be in the Bonneville, too). I just want one in Teal to polish out.

The more I look at the custom version, the more I'm thinking I need to build one as a custom....

I don't care about the test equipment, got that in the old Prestige issue (might be in the Bonneville, too). I just want one in Teal to polish out.

The more I look at the custom version, the more I'm thinking I need to build one as a custom....

....there is lots of them on ebay right now....both versions....the Ace...

Ok, tires... one hin tire for the test equipment, 2 blue line drag slicks out of the parts pack kit, 4 wide radials with no sidewall detail with a thin whitewall - looks like the redlines but a whitewall anf four regular thin whitewalls. I haven't opened the decals yet. they are sealed white the protective paper as usual with current AMT kits.

Edited by Kustom Steve

All of the road test equipment was included only in the first two issues.  The third one (original Grand Slam) deleted all of it.  For that issue, the clear parts tree was trimmed back to only the window unit.  The first two issues had a bunch of other clear parts including side glass, headlight lenses (including stock ones), and a "glass" fuel measuring bottle for the road test version.  The Prestige issue returned the road test parts except for the fuel bottle because apparently the clear parts taken out earlier no longer existed.  I gave the new Grand Slam issue boxes a brief look at a high-priced local shop; looks like the fuel bottle and the big vertical clear headlight shrouds for one of the custom versions have been retooled.  I'll be picking one of these up, probably the expanded version in the larger box. 

The Grand Prix and Bonneville didn't share any parts other than tires and wire axles, though the engines, chassis, and interiors have a similar parts breakdown.  The GP has some neat optional parts for the engine, including a GMC blower intake with an adapter that keeps the carbs under the hood.

Edited by Mark
Left some info out, didn't complete a sentence

Ok, tires... one hin tire for the test equipment, 2 blue line drag slicks out of the parts pack kit, 4 wide radials with no sidewall detail with a thin whitewall - looks like the redlines but a whitewall anf four regular thin whitewalls. I haven't opened the decals yet. they are sealed white the protective paper as usual with current AMT kits.

thanks for that, Kevin....the Ace..:)

Richard, I was thinking about this teal body.....maybe instead of polishing it out, after the prep work is done, this car may be nice with a coat of Tamiya clear,,,followed by a top coat of Tamiya pearl clear. that way if the body has any swirl marks or plastic imperfections, they will most likely be hidden, where polishing it out as you know, will never hide that....just a thought....the Ace...:P

The only difference in KIT contents is the OAS has pad printed drag slicks.  Beyond that the OAS is molded in white, comes in the bigger box with all the Art Series debris. The Teal one comes in a regular sized box, that is a white background (the OAS is a black background). 

Without sounding intentionally mean if people can't tell the difference between the bigger than Tamiya OAS box and a regular sized Round2 box labeling "Molded in Teal" probably isn't gonna help anyone either.

The only difference in KIT contents is the OAS has pad printed drag slicks.  Beyond that the OAS is molded in white, comes in the bigger box with all the Art Series debris. The Teal one comes in a regular sized box, that is a white background (the OAS is a black background). 

Without sounding intentionally mean if people can't tell the difference between the bigger than Tamiya OAS box and a regular sized Round2 box labeling "Molded in Teal" probably isn't gonna help anyone either.

James, hope you don't me asking here, but just to clarify...does the regular box teal version have the green tinted glass too, and are the slicks the old pie crust style, or the blue streaks with just no printing....thanks, want to sure before popping out over 40 bucks up here to grab one.....best,   the Ace....:)

I just picked up an original art series of this kit this weekend.

Sorry for not having pictures of the body and hood, its on the stand now in primer.

other wise here is whats in the kit . It does have the green glass and some funky clear looking headlight lenses for the customer stuff I guess. No side glass of any kind

20160522_192514.jpg

20160522_192619.jpg

20160522_192837.jpg

20160522_192850.jpg

I don't get the decals. "Road Test Vehicle?" What the heck is that supposed to mean? :blink:

This kit includes a bunch of accessories associated with vehicle road testing, such as Road & Track would have used back in the day.  Includes a "5th wheel", set of road cones, some kind of reel-to-reel tape recorder inside a briefcase, and probably some other widgets.  You can see a bunch of this stuff in GTX6970's pics above.

For the 5th wheel testing, whenever I've seen pictures/videos, they've looked pretty much like a normal spoked bicycle-type wheel and tire.  You can see that the 2-piece chromed wheel in the kit doesn't really look like normal bicycles spokes, but then again it wouldn't be possible to really mold those accurately anyway.  Not sure if any 1:1 testing ever used a 5th wheel that actually looked like this.

Same for the tire that goes on the 5th wheel: the one in the kit reminds me of the ones in the stock version of the '34 Ford 5-window, but maybe that's the closest they had to a bicycle-type tire.

Overall, still some pretty cool widgets included with the kit...

Edited by Robberbaron