Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ferrari 250 GTO - Fujimi or Revell Germany?

Kmb0319

Y'know, Bill, I really think the wind is just blowing Fujimi right now (the Testors is the Italeri btw). That's probably as you might expect, since Fujimi's is a couple decades newer than the next most recent release. 

I'd have to defer to someone who's been all the way through the Fujimi kit, but I've taken one of mine through a comprehensive 30-piece mock-up and indications are the fit is very precise.  Think it stands to reason its current engineering standards won't give you a huge fight on the way to the finish - though the Italeri kit didn't look so bad for fit either.

Not that Fujimi's doesn't have its little issues.  The generator/fan belt is a web rather than an open piece, and you'll likewise have to cut out the webbed-over interior panels for the doors for a better appearance inside.  The entire drivetrain is arguably a bit blocky and oversimplified.

But for the low-fuss shelf model you want, the newest kit really looks like the best candidate.  Perhaps not enough to throw away an Italeri if you already have one, but if you're starting from zero, I'd say Fujimi's is the one to go for.

footnote: Aurora's is 1/25 but falls drastically short of your overall body shape objectives.  Protar's is far prettier if it's not that much more correct, and it's just enough shy of dimensions for the other 1/24 kits it could almost pass for a 1/25 - but it's probably got some shenanigans in store for you to get it together.  Gunze's all-plastic version of its High-Tech kit might also approach your objectives if you're good with a curbside, but it's long out of production and pulling some collector prices by now.

Thanks, I was leaning towards the Fujimi kit. Right now , I have nothing.

I don't need opening doors and all the fuss.  It looks like the Gunze kit is out of my price range for a display model. As once its done, ( wont be anytime soon anyway ) it will go in the case and probably never to come out again .

Thanks again , time to go prowl ebay

• 2 weeks later...

So I have started on my Fujimi kit. Working it very slowly and trying to get everything right as well as figure out where I can add details.  So far, this Fujimi kit is amazing.  Here are a couple pics.

Engine

Body painted:

Edited by Kmb0319
reducing attachments