Model Cars Magazine Forum

Your fav writer..

花火

I have always really liked Edgar Allen Poe. He had a way of giving you the idea of what was happening, without all the blood and guts detail of today's writers. Also, this is probably very cliche, but, I love Mark Twain's work too.

Tough to argue with either choice. I'm not a big fan of horror over all. But I like the 19th century horror writers. Poe, Shelly, and Stoker. And again I love Twain. I'm always surprised how up to date his writing can still feel. He wrote to a human condition that most of us can still relate to.

One writer I have not seen come up is Alexander Dumas. The Count of Monte Cristo is still one of my all time favorite books. Yet I don't like his most famous book, the Three Musketeers. And I don't know why.

I have always really liked Edgar Allen Poe. He had a way of giving you the idea of what was happening, without all the blood and guts detail of today's writers. Also, this is probably very cliche, but, I love Mark Twain's work too.

I had a really interesting memory on this writer. Month ago when I read this writer from my textbook first time, I did some search on the internet.

As I looked the photo, I just felt like I've seen this writer somewhere but I can't remember... though I never heard of this great writer, never read any of his masterpiece...

And finally I figured out I've seen this writer in Southpark S17.04 as he be considered as he leader of Goth (I don't know, only in the movie..)

My textbook's selection of his works, one of them is Annabel Lee. I have to admit that i never read a poem with subject like this, you know some poems for love, for peace or for anything but for kind of horror..

I like it, really made me wonder...:wub:

Edited by 花火

When I'm at the library I'm usually working my way through Mark Twain's short story collection; somebody took it out so I'm now working my way through Ian Fleming's James Bond novels. And as I mentioned on the other book thread, I've read all of James Ellroy's books and now I'm waiting for the sequel to Perfidia.

I had a really interesting memory on this writer. Month ago when I read this writer from my textbook first time, I did some search on the internet.

As I looked the photo, I just felt like I've seen this writer somewhere but I can't remember... though I never heard of this great writer, never read any of his masterpiece...

And finally I figured out I've seen this writer in Southpark S17.04 as he be considered as he leader of Goth (I don't know, only in the movie..)

My textbook's selection of his works, one of them is Annabel Lee. I have to admit that i never read a poem with subject like this, you know some poems for love, for peace or for anything but for kind of horror..

Yes, it is very strange how they manage to co-mingle something like classic literature with an animated cartoon these days, Nie! I know that Poe was featured in at least one episode of the Simpsons also.:blink: Anyways I hope that you continue to have an interest in literature, good luck with your schooling, and also keep showing  us your wonderful models!:)

Yes, it is very strange how they manage to co-mingle something like classic literature with an animated cartoon these days, Nie! I know that Poe was featured in at least one episode of the Simpsons also.:blink: Anyways I hope that you continue to have an interest in literature, good luck with your schooling, and also keep showing  us your wonderful models!:)

well, yeeeeeeeeeees sir !!:wub::wub:

Wasn't that poem quoted in the Clint Eastwood thriller Play Misty for Me? Sticks in my mind for some reason....

Well, I am a fan of Sci-Fi. My current favorite living writer is a Brit. Peter F. Hamilton. I really enjoyed Pandora's Star/Judas Unchained. I read them and years later listened to them on audio. A favorte from the past is Isaac Assimov.

Stephen King. I also read a lot of old classics. For technical writing I like really old stuffAndre-Jacob Roubo’s “L’Art du menuisier” (The Art of the Joiner). And Fred T Hodgson, he did a lot of trade books at the turn of the century. 

Edited by dshue76

• 3 weeks later...

Favorite is probably Michael Connelly...love contemporary crime fiction.   Also a fan of the work of John Sanford, Robert Crais, Steve Martini, James Patterson, James Ellroy, Lee Child, Robert Ludlum, John LeCarre.   Also like a lot of Nordic crime fiction writers--Steig Larsson, Jo Nesbo, Henning Mankell, Kjell Ericcson, etc. 

Edited by Rob Hall

I can't say I have a favorite, there are different authors I enjoy for different reasons.

I grew up reading Isaac Asimov and Arthur C. Clarke.  I was introduced to Stephen KIng's "The Gunslinger" in college, and became a big fan.  I started going through King's influences, and discovered Edgar Allen Poe, HP Lovecraft and Robert W. Chambers.  Edgar Rice Burroughs' "Barsoom" stories have been a fun diversion.  I've liked the works I've read by Charles Stross, and intend to pick up more.

I'm currently enjoying novels by James S.A. Corey and Dan Simmons, and comics / graphic novels by Alan Moore and J. Michael Straczynski.