Model Cars Magazine Forum

1967 Mercury comet Cyclone GT

hey every body    new project about to start this cyclone gt .

have a few ideas .

wanting to try a rusty finish .

thinking may go Gasser on this not sure yet .

dont know about colors and rims etc maybe army green .

may also do an engine swap from the 390 to something else a gasser build needs something  poking thru the hood i think. 

we,ll see

all comments are welcome

hey guys thank you for your tips . I got the body primed just now . pics later .  I gotta admit when you talk engines I dont really know what you mean exactly .. I get the whole displacement and cui thing but after that I'm pretty lost in the wonderful world of v8 engines and names terms for them .  , what I do have from another kit is a 454 rat with holley 4 barrels mounted on a hi-rise manifold . would that be any good ...

Hey Darrell! That last pic you posted, Do you have a link of some sort to a story and more pics? I might end up having to buy one of those kits now!!

Danish you might want to look at this whole thread for inspiration..

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/64-65-comets-old-drag-cars-lets-see-pictures.335534/page-142

Another cool pic

Cars-FunnyCarProfile.png

hey guys thank you for your tips . I got the body primed just now . pics later .  I gotta admit when you talk engines I dont really know what you mean exactly .. I get the whole displacement and cui thing but after that I'm pretty lost in the wonderful world of v8 engines and names terms for them .  , what I do have from another kit is a 454 rat with holley 4 barrels mounted on a hi-rise manifold . would that be any good ...

Although Im with Tony as being a Chevy guy but I wouldnt want a Chevy (454) engine in this style of Mercury (Ford).  I would find another Ford engine to use to make it look vintage if you are wanting that gasser look.  Heck if you wanted to be really different stick a Ford Powerstroke in there with the gasser look..  Now that would be interesting..  How many gassers you see that could "roll coal"? ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_coal)  Just throwing out ideas..  A cammer engine is a single overhead cam (SOHC) 427ci Ford engine that they built back in the 60's.  It is unique by the SOHC and cylinder head design and it was and still is an awesome engine.

sohc11.jpg

Ford-427-SOHC.jpg

7.3L Powerstroke

Large_3e206d82061846a7944e8ea109ff6623.P

FORD_73__51373.1432866432.1280.1280.jpg?

Edited by cook_dw

Danish you might want to look at this whole thread for inspiration..

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/64-65-comets-old-drag-cars-lets-see-pictures.335534/page-142

Another cool pic

Cars-FunnyCarProfile.png

Although Im with Tony as being a Chevy guy but I wouldnt want a Chevy (454) engine in this style of Mercury (Ford).  I would find another Ford engine to use to make it look vintage if you are wanting that gasser look.  Heck if you wanted to be really different stick a Ford Powerstroke in there with the gasser look..  Now that would be interesting..  How many gassers you see that could "roll coal"? ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_coal)  Just throwing out ideas..  A cammer engine is a single overhead cam (SOHC) 427ci Ford engine that they built back in the 60's.  It is unique by the SOHC and cylinder head design and it was and still is an awesome engine

cool thanks for informing me .  very nice  of you  . might just go with the 454 or maybe the original 390 and move the hi-rise and 4 barrel to that one . we,ll see 

The 390 engine in the kit could just as easily be made to look like a Ford 427 as from the outside there is very few visual differences. If can find a dual four barrel setup for it that would really set it off. I'm also a Chevy type but you do have to show respect to some of the old hi-performance Ford engines. Besides the ease of fitting the engine to the chassis.

okay . engines aside for now . i started by priming the body lightly grey or actually i started by building a paint stand that rotates nothing fancy . just needed one .

the hood is not going to be rusty like the body so it went black

then the body went all red primer .

im going to try the Salt method so building up some rust tones that can show trhu later .

next the salt ..

on we go .

salt wiped off and its good .

sticking with my army theme it needed a star on each door . also with the salt method for consistency

turned out like this

and now im going in with a few wash tones to just push it a bit further and create some rain streaking like its been sitting for a few minutes

it looks absolutly awsome im so surprised by the result waow .