Model Cars Magazine Forum

I don't generally like to have two projects going at once, so this one may not start until I finish the Mack. I've been planning a White 7000 day cab for a while as my next project, Today I saw this one and now I want to get started.

I went ahead and started a post because I am hoping that someone can offer some help in decals to make this truck. I have some good side shots, but do not have any software suitable for making clean and accurate decals. Any help would be appreciated...Brian

IMG_0376_zpscjvg8sul.jpg

Edited by DRIPTROIT 71

Where are you seeing all the cool old iron, looks like a nice project when you get to it.

Thanks Richard. There was a truck show just a few miles from home today. Not a lot of trucks, but a few good ones.

Going to be a good project to build. Do you have the resin cab yet? If you do where did you pick it up from? 

Thanks Dan. I actually have 3 7000/7400 cabs. Two are from Spaulding, the other is from Back Yard Shed (Which I paid more for than I probably should have). The quality is better on the Spaulding cabs. Every Back Yard Shed 7400 cab that I've seen is warped in the back. Since I was going to cut out the back and replace it anyway, I'm just going to cut a little deeper and make a day cab.

That looks like a good subject for your next project !

Be Well

Gator

Thanks Gator, I'm just hoping to find a source or maybe even the software to make the decals.

• 5 months later...

A late Thanks guys!

I'm finally getting started on this project. I may go with Thurston decals on this one. I'm wanting this to be a simpler project than the Mack, so there will not be any opening doors.

I'm going to use my cab from Back Yard Shed for this project.

The cab on the left is a Spaulding Trading and Shipping cab. The one on the right is Back Yard Shed. Each has strengths and weaknesses.

30359072033_5f3b762d7f_h.jpgIMG_1747 by Brian Smith, on Flickr

31022947792_68e31b591d_h.jpgIMG_1749 by Brian Smith, on Flickr

30345014354_ae29f8bdb2_h.jpgIMG_1748 by Brian Smith, on Flickr

30799020340_468b6b59bf_h.jpgIMG_1751 by Brian Smith, on Flickr

You can see that the back of the Back Yard Shed Cab is very warped. Since the back needed to be replaced anyway, this one will be my daycab.

Freighliner single drive will be the chassis complete with the Cummins, Yes Cummins.

Edited by DRIPTROIT 71

Brian this looks like it's going to be a good project I like those old Japanese freightliners. Roadway had some these trucks orange on top blue on the bottom where the fenders are in the headlights.Yale had some of these lyons lines, Chippewa, East Texas motor freight, Campbell 66 had some jerry@modeltrucking.com sells those decals some if you need some pics let me know I have a lot of pics of this truck with the different LTL companies. Roadway express Ran mostly sleepers of this truck like you have in your pics. Hope this helps. 

Something I have done on custom decals is actually take a jpg and crop it the best I can and then "fill in" using the background paint color in MS Paintshop. (Free).  Then I just print it on WHITE decal paper. (unless you have the ability to print white)     It is a little tricky to not "crack it".  I have tried various clears and even hair spray all with mixed results.  It is not perfect but is cheap and gets the job done until something better comes along. 

I prefer paper like the below far more than Testors and what is found in Hobby Lobby.

http://www.modeltrainsoftware.com/decalpaper.html

It is how I do my "looney tunes" mudflaps and a few other things.  If you can find a good shot of the cartoon character give it a try.  It is trial and error obviously so I just use "draft mode" in black and white on cheap paper until I can size everything right.

With regards to your Fredrickson Logo, check this is out in the model RR world.  Maybe you can find one, get some good pix or ??????

http://www.wig-wag-trains.com/Athearn-Pages/Athearn Pics/Vehicles/Mack/T-T/12187_Fredrickson.JPG

Good luck.

Peace.

Edited by olsbooks

This should be good. I love these cabovers. I cant wait to see where you go with it. I have one of these set aside for an Autocar badged turbined powered prototype that I have some pics of. Good luck with your build.

Thanks Terry! I'm wanting to build something a little less involved than the Mack. I have a High Binder project that I'm wanting to start as well.

I would like to see that prototype though.

Brian this looks like it's going to be a good project I like those old Japanese freightliners. Roadway had some these trucks orange on top blue on the bottom where the fenders are in the headlights.Yale had some of these lyons lines, Chippewa, East Texas motor freight, Campbell 66 had some jerry@modeltrucking.com sells those decals some if you need some pics let me know I have a lot of pics of this truck with the different LTL companies. Roadway express Ran mostly sleepers of this truck like you have in your pics. Hope this helps. 

Thanks Lee. I have three of these cabs. My plan as of now is to build one of the others as a Roadway and the last one will be a replica of the first semi truck that I ever rode in.

I have quite a few 7400 pictures, but I always like to see more. What I really need is some tilted cab pictures under the cab.

Something I have done on custom decals is actually take a jpg and crop it the best I can and then "fill in" using the background paint color in MS Paintshop. (Free).  Then I just print it on WHITE decal paper. (unless you have the ability to print white)     It is a little tricky to not "crack it".  I have tried various clears and even hair spray all with mixed results.  It is not perfect but is cheap and gets the job done until something better comes along. 

I prefer paper like the below far more than Testors and what is found in Hobby Lobby.

http://www.modeltrainsoftware.com/decalpaper.html

It is how I do my "looney tunes" mudflaps and a few other things.  If you can find a good shot of the cartoon character give it a try.  It is trial and error obviously so I just use "draft mode" in black and white on cheap paper until I can size everything right.

With regards to your Fredrickson Logo, check this is out in the model RR world.  Maybe you can find one, get some good pix or ??????

http://www.wig-wag-trains.com/Athearn-Pages/Athearn Pics/Vehicles/Mack/T-T/12187_Fredrickson.JPG

Good luck.

Peace.

Thanks Jesse. I've experiment very little with decal making, but what I have has been with Testors paper. Thanks for the links, I may try that. I've gotten some Thurston decals from Jerry at Modeltruckin.com, so I may use those instead.

Edited by DRIPTROIT 71

Thanks Terry!! I really like that Diamond Reo.

nice to see this one

i have 1 build [ from back yard shed ] and 1 is in the resincab,s stash

here is a back picture of a white 7000 sleeper

i hope its help a little

follow this on

jacobus

Thanks for the help Jacobus.

I can't wait to see this build progress!!

Thanks Dennis!!

Cant wait to see what you come up with Brian, im sure youll knock it out of the park!  are my eyes tricking me or is the a pillar on the ds shorter than the ps on the Spaulding cab?

Thanks Sam! I think that it may be the camera angle or something. I even went and got it out of the box to check. It also looks like the drivers side of the Back Yard Shed cab is higher than the passengers.

Another interesting project. I will be following this one closely.

Be Well

Gator

Thanks Gator!!

That new cab wall looks great Brian.The frame and resin wheels looks great too. This is shaping up to be another good one!

Thanks Terry!! I'm trying hard to keep this a simple project, but I almost cut open the doors last night.

Looming awesome so far Brian , is that the freightliner sd frame?

Thanks Sam! That's the SD that I bought in Clemmons. I just opened it yesterday.

Nice clean job on the cab Brian.

How did you cut out the windows on the back wall?

I would have a lot of trouble trying to keep them perfectly shaped like you have done here.

Thanks Rob. I used the windows in the back wall of the SD Freightliner as a guide. I then used the back side of an x-acto knife to cut them out. Much like everything that I do, they are not perfect.