Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pretty much done with resin.

Just a little follow up . In addition to the tires I have been waiting for around 4 months. I also placed an order for some tires from Speed City Resin. Those arrived today. Less than 3 weeks. I can live with that and can recommend Speed City Resin.

Speed City is indeed one of the best I have had dealings with. I would add Competition Resin, MAD, SMBC, Calnaga Castings, Harts Parts, Bandit Resin and just had a very nice buying experience with Fireball Resins

Fireball and also Clearly Scale are always great to deal with.

Kind of surprising to see people involved in a hobby that demands patience place such a high premium on rapid acquisition of handmade small ticket luxury items. I guess it is one thing to give up your own time pursuing a hobby, but something else altogether if you're paying someone else to join in the process.

Can't speak for you but I don't feel that over 4 months for some tires is what I would refer to as
"rapid acquisition". The point is they should tell you when you give them your money that there will be an extended wait. They can't make one tire a month ? This is just my opinion and if yours differ, so be it. : )

Kind of surprising to see people involved in a hobby that demands patience place such a high premium on rapid acquisition of handmade small ticket luxury items. I guess it is one thing to give up your own time pursuing a hobby, but something else altogether if you're paying someone else to join in the process.

That's B.S. This is about casting resin parts, not ordering a handmade, solid platinum, 23 jewel timepiece with 100 diamonds embedded in the case. If one runs his business as a hobby, find something else to occupy your free time. The only time you'll hear the excuse that the vendor is doing this as a hobby is when enough people complain about waiting extremely long periods of time for stuff that they already paid for and the vendor was more than quick to bank the money. You know what the maximum range of an excuse is? ZERO! The next sound you hear is the world's smallest violin playing "My Heart Bleeds For You". Your sole obligation as the proprietor of a business is to your customers and to satisfy their orders in a timely manner, not when you feel like casting or machining things. If you can't do that, don't advertise your services and definitely don't take people's money unless you can deliver. 

Edited by SfanGoch

That's B.S. This is about casting resin parts, not ordering a handmade, solid platinum, 23 jewel timepiece with 100 diamonds embedded in the case. If one runs his business as a hobby, find something else to occupy your free time. The only time you'll hear the excuse that the vendor is doing this as a hobby is when enough people complain about waiting extremely long periods of time for stuff that they already paid for and the vendor was more than quick to bank the money. You know what the maximum range of an excuse is? ZERO! The next sound you hear is the world's smallest violin playing "My Heart Bleeds For You". Your sole obligation as the proprietor of a business is to your customers and to satisfy their orders in a timely manner, not when you feel like casting or machining things. If you can't do that, don't advertise your services and definitely don't take people's money unless you can deliver. 

Amen x 2.

Well, I personally don't mind waiting 6 months to a year for a desired or rare piece/kit/subject.

Its not like I have to build a specific number of kits per month etc...  Any deadline I have are self imposed.

I spend more time scouring bloody eBay for my favorite rare kits etc... and I figure if I found a caster who did the kit but took a while, well then I don't have to waste time looking.

Besides I'm swamped at work and in my personal life so waiting on hobby fromage is no biggy.

Well, I personally don't mind waiting 6 months to a year for a desired or rare piece/kit/subject.

Its not like I have to build a specific number of kits per month etc...  Any deadline I have are self imposed.

I spend more time scouring bloody eBay for my favorite rare kits etc... and I figure if I found a caster who did the kit but took a while, well then I don't have to waste time looking.

Besides I'm swamped at work and in my personal life so waiting on hobby fromage is no biggy.

Yeah, like the tires Ray waited four months for were rare subject matter. He wasn't talking about a kit. Just four stinking tires. Maybe the guy cast each individual tread. Your building schedule is what you want it to be. What and how others choose to build kits is their business. If someone chooses to run an assembly line and build 5 or 6 kits simultaneously, that is his choice. Why don't you consider that a person might not have a large stash and is limited to building whatever he has at hand at that particular moment? What do you expect him to do in that circumstance, buy another kit or two to keep himself busy until the caster decides to get up off his fifth point of contact and get around to filling the order because he has some free time in his schedule? Perhaps, that person won't, or can't, do that for a variety of reasons, all of which are more legitimate than the caster's excuse for not filling an order promptly. If they need something for for that particular model, and it's advertised by a caster, it should be delivered within a reasonable time, unless the waiting time is otherwise stated. If it isn't, it better be in the mail yesterday if the guy charged my card today. Unless the caster suddenly dropped dead after an order was placed and paid for, he has no legitimate reason for not taking care of his customer promptly.

Soooo true. I don't think anyone could of put it better. Absolutely Perfect and Thank you. 

Jeff 

Some of the places that I can think of off the top of my head that ship out resin stuff VERY quickly and I've never had an issue with, and would I highly recommend:

Speed City Resins

Morgan Automotive Detail

B-N-L Resins

Calnaga Castings

Scenes Unlimited

Altered States models (bought off their ebay store, but shipped fairly quickly)

Scale Modelling by Chris

Now those are only the places *I* have bought from. I did a little research on who casted what and how fast before ordering. 

The only place that was slow that I've ordered from is Modelhaus, and for obvious reasons. Well, them and ThePartsBox, but they're in Australia and it has to go thru Customs so I give them an out on that. 

Hey JT, to add to that list casters that I've dealt with on repeat are;

Historic Racing Miniatures

Replicas and Miniatures of Maryland

Fisher Model and Pattern

All 3 have been superb to deal with!

I still call and/or email em before hand to see if they have in stock items, are back ordered etc... just so I know how to set my expectations.  Like I said, I don't mind waiting.

I think I am more upset that I can not get a reply to a polite simple email asking about the parts then I am about what I consider an extended wait time.

Yea I hear ya.  Well, if you are up to it, call em.

Still, it's effort that shouldn't have to be mustered.

Name them please. If that's an unreliable option, well, give us a rhyming hint. At this point I'd guess your tires and money are ghosts. 

Lousy service and robbery deserves something as well as great service/

Add to the awesome service list: Fernando Pinto in Portugal; Model Car World; Aardvaark; and Bandit.

I have never had a problem with resin casters not sending product on time because I only buy from casters who have a history of good comments on the forums. I had one body that didn't show but the caster sent a replacement within days, and I still had it within 3 weeks (thanks Altered States).

Altered States, VCG, Calnaga, Competition Resins, M.A.D.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had very prompt service and great quality from, Altered States. ModelCarWorld (MCW), Speed City, fast and super accurate, Competition Resins and Replicas and Miniatures of Maryland..

I also ONLY buy from sellers with good reputations. Had good results and outstanding products fro all the above.

Well in defense of buying from unknown or questionable casters, if they have rare subject matter, then I can see wanting to take a chance.

I "waz" gonna do the same being hot and heavy over a 1/24 Ferrari 333SP.  But after sending a few unanswered emails and reading posts about said caster when his kit was current made me forget the idea.

Not worth the frustration no matter how rare the subject is.

Hey JT, to add to that list casters that I've dealt with on repeat are;

Historic Racing Miniatures

Replicas and Miniatures of Maryland

Fisher Model and Pattern

All 3 have been superb to deal with!

I still call and/or email em before hand to see if they have in stock items, are back ordered etc... just so I know how to set my expectations.  Like I said, I don't mind waiting.

I also bought from Fisher Model and Pattern and Replicas and Miniatures of Maryland several years ago -

both offer TOP service, after a few weeks I got my kits/parts in EXCELLENT quality!

To be clear, I like resin and don't mind working with it and somethings are only available in resin. I will still buy resin products and have but only from places like ebay where the kits or pieces are "on hand ".

Ray, you're invited to come to NNL East where many of the top resin companies are there in person!    :)

I hate telling my resin customers when I have issues. However, I have found that communicating with them is key. I typically throw some type of extras in with most orders, but especially when I ship an order later than planned.  Personally I feel it's the right thing to do.  As for the long lead times, I think the longest lead time I've had on any items was 3 weeks, but the 2 bulilders that ordered were regulars and they insisted on prepaying to be the first to get an item I was still finishing up.  Even though they knew they had to wait, I still threw in extras as usual and kept them informed as to the status.  Again, communication goes a long way especially when people are spending their hard earned dollar on specialty parts in this hobby (obsession for me) that we all love.

I'm hearing that, one resin caster I will keep dealing with is Chief Joseph of Fireball models, I place an order with Joseph and within 2 weeks I have my order and I live in Australia and that is quicker than my eBay purchases. Joseph treats me as a valued customer and I greatly appreciate it. Also the good folk on this site are always able to direct me to good casters if needed. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water, there are really good casters out there who need our business as we need them and treat us as valued customers.