Model Cars Magazine Forum

Toyota 86 Rocket Bunny

da_ashman

Hey Guys

I started on this one 2 years ago, then run into some issues & shelved it. Until a few months ago, a mate was selling a Toyota supra rebuilder cheap so snapped it up for the engine. FYI not a simple swap, it took hours to get the 2JZ ("2JZ, no S#!t") to fit right inside the 86s tiny engine bay. Picked up some increible Hobby Design turbos & decided to go all out! Wanted a bit of a "Show Pony" so its done up like a SEMA car 
Aoshima Toyota 86 Rocket Bunny (red version)
Painted Zero Paints - Lamborghini 40th Anniversary Verde Artemis 2pt pearl (photos do not do this colour justice) & Ferrari Nero Daytona
Body Mods: filled handles, TRD Supra style bonnet, 81 Rocket Bunny Side skirts (these looked WAY better than Aoshimas)
Wheels are Hobby Design ADV.1 19" with Aoshima 19" VIP Tires
Engine from Tamiya Supra, Turbos from Hobby Design, Brakes are Hobby Design 6pot Brembos. 
Pretty happy with how it came out, let me know what you think.

Cheers
Ash

I think that whole "crooked wheel" thing is ridiculous (don't even know the actual name for that fad)... but aside from my personal likes/dislikes, I see a very sharp, clean, well-executed model here. Not my cup of tea by a long shot, but I know quality building when I see it... and I see it here. B)

Negative camber Harry. And im right there with ya. Not my type, but we'll built. Paint work looks great, detailing is nice. Very nicely built car.

I think that whole "crooked wheel" thing is ridiculous (don't even know the actual name for that fad)... but aside from my personal likes/dislikes, I see a very sharp, clean, well-executed model here. Not my cup of tea by a long shot, but I know quality building when I see it... and I see it here. B)

Cheers Everyone, Yeah the cambers not usually my thing, but felt it worked better than being straight for the style I was going for. The Tires are molded on an angle, I think the wheels in the kit are too (i didnt use them)

I too like the engine compartment and turbos..  What kit did they come from or did you build them aftermarket?  Nice build and detail.

Cheers, The Engines from a Tamiya Toyota Supra & the Turbos are Hobby Design, exhaust & intake are scratchbuilt

This site needs some more jdm and stanced cars. I think this thing is sweet! I daily drive a stanced car and it's no secret that anyone who stances a car knows that it's form over function. The form on this one is great. Sweet build here!