Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mufflers are getting exhausting

I have a few 64 Mopars that need some exhaust systems made up. I have been trying to make some mufflers up from aluminum tubing and have had fair success at best.

My next thought that maybe I could duplicate the muffler set from the Revell 68 Charger. If I can duplicate it from the front to the back of the mufflers I can make it work on most my current builds. My question is what would would be the best way to make molds of the front pipes to the back of the mufflers resin casting ? Keep in mind I have never tried any resin casting. DSC00180.thumb.JPG.964b4c622316d42d3653dDSC00181.thumb.JPG.2d3c64e5478f0385ef0aam1.thumb.png.68b00041cc978f0e7a6ba246509  

You can use solder to make the pipes.

Yes!  If you keep your eyes open at places like Hobby Lobby, even hardware stores, pure tin solder is available--it's much stiffer than the old-fashioned "lead-tin" solder, and does come in a small variety of sizes (diameters).  The advantage?  Pure tin solder is a good bit harder, stiffer than ordinary solder, and will hold its shape a lot better.

Art

Yes!  If you keep your eyes open at places like Hobby Lobby, even hardware stores, pure tin solder is available--it's much stiffer than the old-fashioned "lead-tin" solder, and does come in a small variety of sizes (diameters).  The advantage?  Pure tin solder is a good bit harder, stiffer than ordinary solder, and will hold its shape a lot better.

Art

Ditto! I used solder for a build I did many years ago. I just drilled out the mufflers to take the solder, and ran it straight through. Easiest custom exhaust system you will ever do. As said, it conforms very easily. I then just terminated it at the end with aluminum tubing.

Cheers,

Lance

While everyone seems completely satisfied using solder, I have been using another method that has worked well for me. Plastruct has styrene tubing of different diameters. I usually use #90604 1/8" (3.2 mm)  diameter hollow tubing. I insert 3/64 (1.2mm)  brass rod so that it will bend without collapsing the tubing and it hold the shape. There are several different sizes depending on the exhaust size you're after. If you leave a little of the brass sticking out of the ends you can use that as mounting point for the headers, mufflers, and exhaust tips as needed.  

The mufflers are the parts I am most trying to duplicate. I have had some success with making glass packs but the factory mufflers have been a bit more challenging. 

As for pipes I have used aluminum tubing some I like the look  of the end of the tail pipe being open and more realistic. I have considered solder but have not tried it yet. Evergreen rod has also been considered. 

I like the idea of Plaststruct tubing with brass rod inside  Do heat it some or bend it cold ?

The mufflers are the parts I am most trying to duplicate. I have had some success with making glass packs but the factory mufflers have been a bit more challenging. 

As for pipes I have used aluminum tubing some I like the look  of the end of the tail pipe being open and more realistic. I have considered solder but have not tried it yet. Evergreen rod has also been considered. 

I like the idea of Plaststruct tubing with brass rod inside  Do heat it some or bend it cold ?

I've made oval cross-section mufflers more than a few times from laminated Evergreen styrene, filed to shape, with end caps made from shee styrene, cut and filed to shape, then sanded--far easier to just do than try to describe.  (Speaking from more than 60 yrs of plastic model car building experience here)

Art

Another way to make mufflers... cut some large aluminum tubing to length, then carefully flatten the tube to oval shape by placing a small piece of wood on the tubing and then gently tapping with a small hammer. Don't go too far, you want to get an oval cross-section, but don't want to totally flatten the tubing. Muffler ends made of styrene sheet, drilled to accept solder pipes. Smaller diameter aluminum tube cut to short lengths and slipped over the ends of the solder pipes to create the open exhaust tips.

I don't see the advantage of making the pipes by using styrene tubing with brass rod inserted into it when solder alone can be bent easily and will hold its shape just fine... yet is soft/bendable enough to allow you to fine tune the fit easily.

Another way to make mufflers... cut some large aluminum tubing to length, then carefully flatten the tube to oval shape by placing a small piece of wood on the tubing and then gently tapping with a small hammer. Don't go too far, you want to get an oval cross-section, but don't want to totally flatten the tubing. Muffler ends made of styrene sheet, drilled to accept solder pipes. Smaller diameter aluminum tube cut to short lengths and slipped over the ends of the solder pipes to create the open exhaust tips.

I don't see the advantage of making the pipes by using styrene tubing with brass rod inserted into it when solder alone can be bent easily and will hold its shape just fine... yet is soft/bendable enough to allow you to fine tune the fit easily.

The three in the picture was using aluminium tubing gently tapped down until I achieved a  desired shape. Went thru 3 different sizes of tube until I achieved the desired size and shape. Top two I used smaller tubing for the end pipes and filled them with a super glue baby powder mix and filed/sanded to get a flat end. These did not have the ribbed end I wanted so on the bottom one I used pieces of an old credit card.The only styrene   I had was .040" thick. I think if I can get something about .020" it should look better.