Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 Police/Fire/Ambulance Red Beacon Light?

• 1 month later...

Michigan State Police use a single red beacon "bubble gum machine". I bought the "Cop Out" Duster funny car, used the red beacon on a MSP S-10 Blazer. Good enough for me, plus got a funny car out of the deal too. :-)

The Revell 1957 Ford (Del rio ranch wagon and police sedan) does have it.

The Revell 57 Ford Police Beacon is closer the Beacon Ray Jr then the FS-17.   Plaskit out of your home town of Quebec use to sell the Johan style Beacon Ray parts.   Don't know if they're still around or not.   Do you know ?

Steve

Please satisfy my curiosity. Why would someone spend $50+ for the Jo-Han kit, or even twenty bucks for the Revell kits, just to get the beacon and/or siren when suitable resin parts are available for a reasonable price? I'm basing this question on the realistic possibility that someone needing those parts might have absolutely no interest in the kits themselves. Sure, you can sell or trade the kits minus those parts; but, that can be a PITA. Using the Jo-Han kit as an example, if someone was looking for that kit specifically to build a 60's-era patrol car, he probably would pass on buying/trading for it just because it is missing those parts. Obtaining the kit would still mean he'd have to find and buy a replacement siren and beacon. Not every modeler is a member, or even visits, forums such as this or is aware of aftermarket companies which make these parts. 

The Revell 57 Ford Police Beacon is closer the Beacon Ray Jr then the FS-17.   Plaskit out of your home town of Quebec use to sell the Johan style Beacon Ray parts.   Don't know if they're still around or not.   Do you know ?

Steve

He is still out there, and yes he have these items for sale, i completely forgot that detail...

I will try to find his e-mail, i will sent a private message if i get it...

Please satisfy my curiosity. Why would someone spend $50+ for the Jo-Han kit, or even twenty bucks for the Revell kits, just to get the beacon and/or siren when suitable resin parts are available for a reasonable price? I'm basing this question on the realistic possibility that someone needing those parts might have absolutely no interest in the kits themselves. Sure, you can sell or trade the kits minus those parts; but, that can be a PITA. Using the Jo-Han kit as an example, if someone was looking for that kit specifically to build a 60's-era patrol car, he probably would pass on buying/trading for it just because it is missing those parts. Obtaining the kit would still mean he'd have to find and buy a replacement siren and beacon. Not every modeler is a member, or even visits, forums such as this or is aware of aftermarket companies which make these parts. 

Back in the days when the kits were 4 to 5 dollars they were good buy to get accurate parts Which are now outdated and the kits are now considered rare and ruined by a production run of GREEN plastic windows. There were other kits that had emergency parts like the Force 440, Cop Out, Roscoe's police car and the Nova, Now that the latest being the Lindberg Dodge that had several light bars, The Crown Vics had two different bars, I agree the time is right to purchase castings as the productions have ceased. There are some nuts out here that do build emergency vehicles.

It is a bit of work, but here is a tutorial on making your own from a lightbulb and other fairly easily acquired bits.

http://scalefirehouse.com/sfh_brd/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=178

I haven't seen anything in resin or plastic that comes close to a beacon made this way. 

Thst tutorial makes a very accurate looking Federal Signal 17 Beacon Ray Rotator.  It looks better then the ones I got from Custom Squads.  Unfortunately I don't have a sharpening stone.  

Edited by crowe-t

• 2 weeks later...