Model Cars Magazine Forum

Here is my 1955 Chevy. Finished her on the weekend. 

Turned the kit from a street machine to stock, or as close to stock I could get without some more complicated surgery. 

Like the kit had the big rear window, I could only go with the Deluxe cab, and well, that was my goal anyway, to replicate a black truck I found online. 

My can of Chevy engine red is old, and I the engine is a little too orange... Think I have to order a new can of Chevy engine red. Almost used Ford engine red, but that one is too red. 

Calling this one done, and moving to the next...

Thanks for looking fellas!!

1955 Chevrolet PIckup by Túlio Lazzaroni, on Flickr

Another one of your great builds. In the picture at least the engine color looks correct, more red than orange.   

I tend to agree, especially for an early Passenger V8. However, Truck V8s should actually be the same shade of gray as the 6 cylinder. Most 1:1s aren't painted in the correct color, so proper research can be difficult.

I tend to agree, especially for an early Passenger V8. However, Truck V8s should actually be the same shade of gray as the 6 cylinder. Most 1:1s aren't painted in the correct color, so proper research can be difficult.

Amen!! Think about something hard to find!!

When I was researching for the cameo, I found this page:

http://www.1954advance-design.com/Web images/PPIP/PPIP-1912-1966-EngineColors.html

It said the engine could be many different colors (283) or could be gray, if a 265. 

By other hand,. I found pictures of a unrestored original super low mileage '57 Cameo with a 265, and it was orange. Or at least the remaining of the paint was orange. 

Another thing I took into consideration was the market where the truck would be sold. 

Since I'm in Brasil, I took into account that all the V8 engines were painted orange, and all six cylinders were painted green at the factory here. The engines would come from the U.S. as long blocks unpainted, and the final assembly would happen here along with painting. 

On the interior colors I could find nothing. Since the cabs came in pieces to be welded here, I thought some info would be available, but no, not even a line. So, I went with was done in the U.S.And for that, thanks a lot Bill!!

Another detail I was in doubt was the wood on the bed. 

Ford used a product like ATF to treat the wood here, and the natural color would show. GM used a different product, almost like burnt motor oil, and the wood would be flat black after the treatment. So, I painted it flat black.

One interesting fact is that the Cameo was not imported here. The top of the line was the stepside truck, with the Deluxe cab. 

I refer to the same list myself, and am a member of the same Chevy truck site (Stovebolt.com) as the fellow who wrote it. I'm pretty sure that list is for US and possibly Canadian spec trucks, though. One thing that isn't made clear in the list for '57, is that the 283 is a 2 ton and larger only engine. Anything 1 1/2 ton and under either had the 235 I6 or the 265 V8.

I'm not going to say necessarily that the Cameo you saw with the orange engine isn't correct, because sometimes and orange engine would find its way into a truck at some plants where they ran both truck and passenger lines, there is a good chance that somewhere along the line the engine may have been swapped. You would just about have to get the numbers off the engine to verify it. That's not really uncommon to see such swaps on trucks, as :numbers matching" really isn't as critical as it is on the later muscle cars.

I refer to the same list myself, and am a member of the same Chevy truck site (Stovebolt.com) as the fellow who wrote it. I'm pretty sure that list is for US and possibly Canadian spec trucks, though. One thing that isn't made clear in the list for '57, is that the 283 is a 2 ton and larger only engine. Anything 1 1/2 ton and under either had the 235 I6 or the 265 V8.

I'm not going to say necessarily that the Cameo you saw with the orange engine isn't correct, because sometimes and orange engine would find its way into a truck at some plants where they ran both truck and passenger lines, there is a good chance that somewhere along the line the engine may have been swapped. You would just about have to get the numbers off the engine to verify it. That's not really uncommon to see such swaps on trucks, as :numbers matching" really isn't as critical as it is on the later muscle cars.

This is why so many people fly from factory stock building. You have to actually research things, and the kind of thing it's not easy to find. 

Here are some pictures of the Cameo I found. This is how I would like to get any car, unrestored original. 

1957-chevrolet-cameo-truck-08.jpg

1957-chevrolet-cameo-truck-03.jpg

1957-chevrolet-cameo-truck-05.jpg

1957-chevrolet-cameo-truck-14.jpg

1957-chevrolet-cameo-truck-for-sale-15.jpg

That's certainly a very nice truck, with some interesting options (V8, Power Steering, Overdrive, Radio),  but they're fibbing a bit on it being "unrestored". I spotted a few things that point to it having had a restoration at one point at least in its life. The bed floor and the fender badges are 2 things that stand out to me right away. The floor should be white with that color combination (Cameo was the exception to the flat black floor), ad should at least show some signs of being painted. The fender badges are swapped side to side, an indication to doghouse has been apart and repainted. The lack of general wear and tear on the interior also indicate a possible older restoration.

These trucks are something I'm very familiar with, this one is my daily driver. http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk203/Longbox55/013-1.jpg

That's certainly a very nice truck, with some interesting options (V8, Power Steering, Overdrive, Radio),  but they're fibbing a bit on it being "unrestored". I spotted a few things that point to it having had a restoration at one point at least in its life. The bed floor and the fender badges are 2 things that stand out to me right away. The floor should be white with that color combination (Cameo was the exception to the flat black floor), ad should at least show some signs of being painted. The fender badges are swapped side to side, an indication to doghouse has been apart and repainted. The lack of general wear and tear on the interior also indicate a possible older restoration.

These trucks are something I'm very familiar with, this one is my daily driver. http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk203/Longbox55/013-1.jpg

Yes, that is a very nice truck. I really like it. 

There is just a thing I don't know: If I would take the engine from the kit to repaint it in gray, or if I leave it as is. I'm inclined to leave it alone. 

If I decide to repaint it, I'll post some pictures. 

Thanks guys!! Very appreciated.

I really "don't want to beat a dead horse" here on engine colors because as we have all seen it is very different in different markets. Just let me share a couple of personal  observations from years ago. In '64 my employer purchased a new left over '63 model Chevrolet C-20 (3/4 ton) pick-up. It had a 283 in gray and a 3-speed manual transmission. In '65 one of my very close friends ordered a new '65 Chevrolet C-10 (1/2 ton ) with the 283 which came in gray also with a 3-speed manual. I have no idea how much this means to those who worry about such things, but this was two different trucks that I saw and help work on when they were new. This was in the southern California area (Crestline and Lake Arrowhead) and was probably how that plant was painting engines at that time. I still love how this model turned out.  I personally prefer and paint all of my Chevrolet builds with what I feel is the orange/red color that I associate with a Chevrolet 8 cylinder engine. The 6 cylinder engines that I remember working on at the time were always blue (blue flame six) until the 230 & 250 inch engines which were then painted a red that matched the 8's.   

I really "don't want to beat a dead horse" here on engine colors because as we have all seen it is very different in different markets. Just let me share a couple of personal  observations from years ago. In '64 my employer purchased a new left over '63 model Chevrolet C-20 (3/4 ton) pick-up. It had a 283 in gray and a 3-speed manual transmission. In '65 one of my very close friends ordered a new '65 Chevrolet C-10 (1/2 ton ) with the 283 which came in gray also with a 3-speed manual. I have no idea how much this means to those who worry about such things, but this was two different trucks that I saw and help work on when they were new. This was in the southern California area (Crestline and Lake Arrowhead) and was probably how that plant was painting engines at that time. I still love how this model turned out.  I personally prefer and paint all of my Chevrolet builds with what I feel is the orange/red color that I associate with a Chevrolet 8 cylinder engine. The 6 cylinder engines that I remember working on at the time were always blue (blue flame six) until the 230 & 250 inch engines which were then painted a red that matched the 8's.   

I fixed the Cameo, and on the process also fixed the 3100 (take a look at my new topic, Chevy X Chevy), even tough the engines were orange here (they never separated the ones for cars from the ones for trucks, as the engines came as long blocks, unpainted, and without a specific usage. That was only done in 1955, as from 1956 by law, all engines had to be cast in Brasil. GM went to the 261 six as the only engine, and ditch the V8, while Ford started casting the then new 272 Y-Block V8 here. The engine was enlarged to 292, and was kept in production until 1979. Ford would also offer the 302 latter, but the engine was imported complete from Windsor, and was a extra cost option.