Model Cars Magazine Forum

I tend to agree, especially for an early Passenger V8. However, Truck V8s should actually be the same shade of gray as the 6 cylinder. Most 1:1s aren't painted in the correct color, so proper research can be difficult.

most of the commercial engines I've come across from '55 have been yellow, must be something about where they were built.

most of the commercial engines I've come across from '55 have been yellow, must be something about where they were built.

Most likely, those have been repainted from original, most likely during a rebuild. It's not unusual for a rebuilder to paint all their engines one color as a "branding" of sorts. Jasper for example, used to paint all their engines a pale green, regardless of what kind of engine it was.

This is why so many people fly from factory stock building. You have to actually research things, and the kind of thing it's not easy to find. 

Here are some pictures of the Cameo I found. This is how I would like to get any car, unrestored original. 

1957-chevrolet-cameo-truck-08.jpg

1957-chevrolet-cameo-truck-03.jpg

1957-chevrolet-cameo-truck-05.jpg

1957-chevrolet-cameo-truck-14.jpg

1957-chevrolet-cameo-truck-for-sale-15.jpg

"Black plate" doesn't mean a whole lot on a pre 1963 vehicle. The black on yellow 1956 plates were replaced by yellow on black plates then. Plus, if you can come up with a pair of black plates that DMV considers clear (not assigned to a vehicle) they will let you reassign them to a 1963-69 vehicle. Likewise the earlier plates for an appropriate vehicle. Nice Cameo nonetheless.

I just looked that truck over again, and noticed something I missed earlier, the radio is NOT the factory radio. It's an aftermarket radio, A Custom Autosound unit to be exact. I should have noticed it right away, too, I have the same one in mine. I also have an original factory radio from a '56, and the difference is noticeable. As I said in my earlier post, nice truck, but hardly an "all original unrestored survivor" as they claimed.

If I could see the serial numbers, I could easily tell what is and isn't original to that truck.

Edited by Longbox55

I just looked that truck over again, and noticed something I missed earlier, the radio is NOT the factory radio. It's an aftermarket radio, A Custom Autosound unit to be exact. I should have noticed it right away, too, I have the same one in mine. I also have an original factory radio from a '56, and the difference is noticeable. As I said in my earlier post, nice truck, but hardly an "all original unrestored survivor" as they claimed.

If I could see the serial numbers, I could easily tell what is and isn't original to that truck.

I think you are correct on the non original details, even tough GMs are not my real cup of tea. 

Even tough, and with all defects the truck may have, I would like to have it a LOT more than a full frame off restoration. I really dislike restored cars. Always though them to be just fancy replicas. It's like a work of art, the Mona Lisa is all cracked and peeling, but it was painted by Leonardo da Vinci. If one decided to restore it to perfection, like it was 500 years ago, how much Leonardo would be left? A car is not a painting, but I think the principle of originality is the same. 

In a way, restoration is like vandalism, as it can not be reversed. Unfortunately a lot of people think that aesthetic perfection is the goal on antique cars and trucks, and happily remove a factory paint that is still presentable, to replace it by a super shiny new and non original paint job. 

Back in 1997, when I bought my '82 Galaxie Landau, the car was a one owner gem. The tires were still the Good Year Grand Prix S white line from the factory. The DOT confirmed October of 1981. The car left the factory in December 1981. Same DOT on the never used spare. All the paint is the factory applied Acrylic Enamel in Jamaica Blue Metallic. The vinyl roof is from the factory also. All upholstery idem. The 302 under the hood has the correct date code on the spark plug wires, and even had the factory sourced Motorcraft belts.  The car had 33,850 Kms on the clock. The maintenance book comproved the original Km indicated. 

Back in 1997, A Landau in that condition was not that hard to get. I just gave mine a good polish, took the factory tires off, and replaced them with new whitewalls, and that's about it. Last year I had to replace the front disk brake shoes, and sure enough, the ones on the car still had the Motorcraft logo on the back. 

In the meantime I saw a bunch of Galaxies of the same vintage and in the same condition to get "full restorations". 

Today they are worth about half than what mine would bring if I decided to sell. Of course mine is not that shiny, has a little ding here and there, but its all factory original. Even the factory stereo is still there and works like new playing cassette tapes. Most kids today don't even know what a cassette tape is... That makes me to feel so old.