Model Cars Magazine Forum

Which kit is Better Part 2

Hi all,

I got a tremendous response to my initial inquiry in regard to the best 1967-1970 1/2 Camaro. Thanks for all who gave me tremendous insight including some really awesome pics of completed models. My next inquiry is in regard to which Mustang kit is better. Let me preface it by saying not a big fan of the pre 1967 Mustangs (although had a girlfriend back in '82 whose Dad had a really sweet 1966 coupe in green with a black vinyl top and a very healthy 351 under a Thunderbolt hood scoop. That thing was faassst.). As the novice I am looking for ease of assembly, minimal flash and adjusting of misfit parts. My favorite Mustang is probably the 1967 followed by 1969 or 70. That being said any help/insight will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for looking.

Jerry

mdmp_1012_01_o+1967_ford_mustang_fastback+driver_side_front.jpg

I'll play.

Right on your primary focus area, AMT's '67 Mustang is pretty decent, 90's-typical full detail with platform interior and some intricacy in engine and undercarriage.  Basic trim level, front suspension could use a bit of trimming at the spindle/brake interface to help tuck front wheels under fenders, building otherwise pretty straightforward.  Headlights a bit small.

Revell's '68 diecast-converted plastic kit, Bullitt or GT, is a box of interesting parts to mix with an AMT '67 - certainly better headlights and more suitable tires - and otherwise not much on its own.  It's even money you'll get the '67 GT500 interior instead of the '68 pieces; the body's kinda garbage in accuracy, and not just in the typical diecast-accommodated rocker panel stuff.  Wish I could at least say it's easier to build for its simpler, promo-style metal axles and reduced parts count - but if you have the wrong interior, it jams up the hood hinges something fierce.

Roger the above on the '69.  There's a resin conversion to de-monstrositize Revell's front end a bit, and the 428 CJ engine is sharp, but again, otherwise not great on its own.

The AMT's biggest appearance fault is the front and rear fasciae- they're just a tad wider than the body. Nothing a little sanding can't cure, just be careful to mount them nice and square and you should be fine. Just something to watch out for. 

I didn't see first time you asked about '70. The Monogram/Revell '70s in any of their various forms aren't bad, and build very easily. The front end isn't quite right but it doesn't look nearly as bad as their '69.

out of all mustangs and model manufacturers from 64 to 73 which kit is most accurate?..sorry about different question.but sense were are talking about mustangs...I wanted to know.thank you....Chris 

out of all mustangs and model manufacturers from 64 to 73 which kit is most accurate?..sorry about different question.but sense were are talking about mustangs...I wanted to know.thank you....Chris 

I'd say the AMT 67 GT350 is the most accurate followed by the Revell/Monogram  Boss 302 and 69 Shelbys.  The old Monogram 65/66 Shelbys are pretty good too.

The not so good are the AMT 66 Coupe, MPC 69 Mach1, MPC/AMT 71/73's and AMT 68 Shelby.

The not so good are the AMT 66 Coupe....

I'd disagree. The body and associated parts of the AMT '66 coupe are actually pretty nice, though of course it does lack in chassis and engine detail. Interior isn't too bad either. It builds into a very nice shelf model right out of the box.

I concur with Snake's original suggestion; the AMT/Ertl '67 would be my first choice, followed by the Revell '68.

My personal favorites are the original AMT 67/68 annuals, but you won't be tripping over one of those at you local LHS.  The tooling was altered into the '68 Shelby GT500; variations of the Shelby are readily available out there.  It's not perfect, but I kinda like it. 

Note...if you are considering the AMT '68 Shelby, be advised that the Round2 release with the lime gold built-up on the box only contains stock parts.  The earlier Ertl releases contain a lot of optional parts from the good old days. 

Jerry, I built the AMT '67 within the last year and as far as it goes, it's a decent kit. IMO though it doesn't quite live up to the GT status as there were a number of body details missing that were on most GT's I've ever seen.

Here are a few pics in case you haven't seen it before.............

PA285475

PA315479

PA285472

PA315481

To my eyes, this is better than the Revell '68............something about that one seems "off" to me body shape wise, but I've been told it builds without much fuss.

Hope this helps you out! ;)

Thanks. Really awesome job on that Mustang. Unfortunately that will have to be next as I ordered the Revell 1969 Baldwin Motion Camaro this morning. So after the 1970 GSX and then the Camaro it will be the Mustang's turn. Thanks again.

Jerry, I built the AMT '67 within the last year and as far as it goes, it's a decent kit. IMO though it doesn't quite live up to the GT status as there were a number of body details missing that were on most GT's I've ever seen.

Here are a few pics in case you haven't seen it before.............

PA285475

PA315479

PA285472

PA315481

To my eyes, this is better than the Revell '68............something about that one seems "off" to me body shape wise, but I've been told it builds without much fuss.

Hope this helps you out! ;)

Thanks. That's an awesome job on the Mustang. ReallyUnfortunately this will have to wait since I just ordered the Revell 1969 Baldwin Motion Camaro. Mustang will most be next after I finish the 1970 Buick GSX and then the Camaro.

Very nice, Bill, and yes, your assessment of the '68 is plenty apt, perhaps for these reasons:

There's this weird subtle "hump" in the transition from the fastback pillars to the roof in Revell's profile; AMT's is smoother as is the 1:1 there.

Revell has lower wheel arches on the front fenders and higher ones on the rears, as if they were reversed front-to-back.

The plastic conversion has some subtle improvements in the front end around the headlight nacelles, but putting aside headlight size, AMT'S is just scads better there.

And finally, AMT's suffers from none of the rocker panel angle compromise that Revell's diecast-derived kit does.  Revell's own '67 GT500 diecast is considerably better than the '68, even with the same rocker panel effect.

what about the original AMT 1968 and 1969 kits?

Dunno about the '68, but the '69 has the most accurate '69 Mustang FB body ever. Chassis detail is of course lacking by today's standards and it can't be built factory stock, but still...I wish we had that one back......

I didn't see first time you asked about '70. The Monogram/Revell '70s in any of their various forms aren't bad, and build very easily. The front end isn't quite right but it doesn't look nearly as bad as their '69.

Any thoughts on the below picture? I found it on a site called Model Car Mountain. They have it for like $16.00 plus s&h. Has anyone ever purchased anything from them?

1_5b65f5d4-4186-4f52-9fe5-3102cc8be3e1_1024x1024[1].jpg

The Monogram/Revell 1/24 '70 Mustangs are very easy and fun builds. The front end isn't accurate on them, but it's not nearly as noticeable as the Revell '69. It would be a great kit for you at this point.

The Monogram/Revell 1/24 '70 Mustangs are very easy and fun builds. The front end isn't accurate on them, but it's not nearly as noticeable as the Revell '69. It would be a great kit for you at this point.

Thanks just ordered the 1970 Boss 429 from HQ Hobbies. I have a definite off the beaten track color in mind. Also had a question about Model Master Lacquers. As good as Tamiya?

Thanks just ordered the 1970 Boss 429 from HQ Hobbies. I have a definite off the beaten track color in mind. Also had a question about Model Master Lacquers. As good as Tamiya?

The '70 Boss 429s were only made in certain colors, if that's important to you. I don't remember which ones are correct, but I do know that I did mine in Candyapple Red and found out later that that was NOT a correct color--closest would have been Calypso Coral/Competition Orange.

The '70 Boss 429s were only made in certain colors, if that's important to you. I don't remember which ones are correct, but I do know that I did mine in Candyapple Red and found out later that that was NOT a correct color--closest would have been Calypso Coral/Competition Orange.

Snake I checked and the color I like is on the car. Thanks as always for the heads up.