Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mustang Retro ?

Shelby cuts out Fords flo through vents and adds windows allowing better rear vision.

Ford designs new retro Mustang with Shelby style rear windows giving better rear vision.

New buyers immediately go out and purchase cheesy fiberglass glue on fake side vents striving for that retro look.:wacko:

When my son and I did a ground up restore on my 66 2+2 we almost did the Shelby window in place of the louvers.....but as we wanted to be different we left them in.....and they do work so the added air is a plus!!! 

66small1.JPG

Edited by Dave Van

Okay I don't know where my comments went in trying to quote Harry above? ? 

I'm with Harry on this one. I like the looks of the louvers too. The chrome fender portholes were also put down here. On most cars they don't look right to me. But, I do like them on just about any Buick, other Riviera.

Okay I don't know where my comments went in trying to quote Harry above? ? 

I'm with Harry on this one. I like the looks of the louvers too. The chrome fender portholes were also put down here. On most cars they don't look right to me. But, I do like them on just about any Buick, other Riviera.

The Buick Riviera didn't have port holes. Buick called them "Ventiports". I think you are confusing "portholes" with the round side windows found on early Thunderbirds.:P

The Buick Riviera didn't have port holes. Buick called them "Ventiports". I think you are confusing "portholes" with the round side windows found on early Thunderbirds.:P

I've been a member of the Buick Club of America for years. And yes, I know they are technically referred to as "Ventiports". But, they still affectionally called "portholes" by Buick buffs too. In fact the Gopher State Chapter of the Buck Club of America calls it's local newsletter the Porthole. And you are right. My two favorite Buicks generally did not come from the factory with Ventiports. The Riviera and Wildcat. Accept the '62 and '63 Wildcats. I'm traditionalist in this aspect. So I do like Ventiports, portholes, or mouse holes, or what ever you want to call them, on a Riviera (pre-'63 Rivieras they are okay on).

P.S. Referring to the pre-63 Rivs should throw one or two people for a loop.

Interesting thread. The same argument(s) can also be made for or against the oft used/abused classic Shelby "LeMans" stripes. I've seen them on everything from 6 cylinder 1st gen coupes to 4 banger deuces to 4 banger Foxes to V6 SNs and beyond, Sacrilege!

Edited by FordRodnKustom

I never really thought about those windows until today, and...I like the louvered vents better. As a window, it seems oddly placed and unfinished. Funny that "stick-on-cheese" actually improves it (at least in my eyes). Normally that kind of stuff makes me wanna hurl.

• 2 weeks later...