Model Cars Magazine Forum

engine comparison

Two project I have working concurrently is the Revell Surfite and a '67 427 Corvette.  The Surfite was suppose to be a fun build, but I couldn't leave it alone. It was powered by an 850 cc Austin engine.  The 'Vette is going to be the DX Corvette that won the GT class at Sebring in '67 and Daytona in '68.  I saw this car run in production class after it was given to Dave morgan to campaign in SCCA nationals.

It struck me that the entire displacement of the Austin engine does not equal one cylinder of the 427.  The Austin engine makes 35 hp and the Chevy makes 600.  Eight times the displacement and almost 20 times the power!

Sorry for the photo quality.  I cropped it a bit too small.

dx_eng_003.thumb.jpg.5fc65f6ae207a80e564

I think your math may be a bit off.

The Austin motor would have been anywhere from 0.8Litre to 1.2Litre while the 427 would have been classed as 7litre displacement.

The stock Austin motor may have grunted out 35hp on a good day, there are ways to up that number quite a bit. The Surfite was basically designed as a vehicle to take a surfer and boards to the beach... reliably, that means an economical and reliable motor like the Austin.

The 427 most likely would not have been rated or produced 600hp in stock form, most stock engines in the USA don't produce more than one HP per cubic inch (without major penalties from the insurance companies).

The chevy motor probably produced about ten times the HP as the Austin motor.

There are other more knowledgeable members here that can supply more exacting data on this, but this apples versus oranges comparison only yields fruit cocktail.

This was just to be an interesting comparison to illustrate the variety in automotive engines.

I quoted 600 hp for the Chevy because it is going into a racecar, whereas the Austin motor was stock.  But I have seen prepared Mini Coopers whip up on Corvettes at the race track.