Model Cars Magazine Forum

66 Novabuild

Johnt671

It finally stopped raining so I got to clear the body today. First some pictures of the touch up on some other assemblies.

Chassis all done except the exhaust that will go on during final assembly.

Interior done.

Engine compartment done.

Body finally cleared. Now  a wait for a few days so I can buff the clear and touch up the body.

A picture to see how the rocker panel trim looks. One vote to leave it off. Anyone else have an opinion?

A couple of shots after clearing and before buffing. I plan to start buffing on Sunday when I get back from grandson #2's first birthday party.

Below is the the body after compounding.

It's starting to look like a car. Before I took this picture I used 2 coats of Novus polish I may try regular car wax next time. The front and rear windows are in and I put some decals on the rear windows like we did back in the day.

Close to done now. The inside and outside mirrors are on along with the side windows and decals. I had to move the tach to the steering column because it hit the windshield. Now I have to wait for the rain to stop so I can spray a little paint in a container and touch up the dash where the tach was. The next picture will be a finished model.

Edited by Johnt671
Forgot to post the pictures!

I like it without the rocker molding, in fact most of these I saw in SS package were without the extra bright work, they didn't have the chrome strip on the side either. A few guys put the after market aluminum moldings with the vinyl inserts on to help with door dings, but most of those had either the black or a silver vinyl insert, my favorite was just leaving the molding off completely, just looked cleaner and meaner to me.

Snake45, I'm going for a street/strip look retro look. I should have done a bit more research on the tail lights. They will be easy enough to fix.

Horsepower, I will leave the rocker panel trim off. I wish I'd of known about the side trim because for some reason I had a tough time foiling it. I think my foil is old as I've foiled other builds without any problems.

Thanks to both of you.

I glued the grill in yesterday but it's lower on one side than on the other so I'm going to have to do some work on it.

This is the problem I found with the grill/hood fit. There is a chrome strip that still has to go on the front edge of the hood but it would still have been bad. I think I worked it out but I had to take the model apart some to work on it, and knocked a few other small parts off.

Edited by Johnt671
Forgot to post the pictures!

I painted the hod yesterday, and while I was doing that i decided I didn't like my custom exhaust coming out under the door opening, so I did a different system up. I messed up on the pipe length on one side, but I'm not worried about it because it's not the shiny side. I'm going to brush Alclad on the tips. and put it all together tomorrow. I'll still have to buff and clear the hood, but it will be done enough for pictures

Finally done!! I just have to finish buffing the hood and clear it, but it's done.

I picked up something at Michaels to try to upgrade my finished pictures. In a day or so I'll play around with the set up and post them in the under glass section.

Thanks. I'll bet that looked nice. After I started this kit I got another one of it. I wanted to do the Bill Jenkins car since I saw him race years ago, but my imagination got the better of me. I want to do a Grumpy build, but the high rise dual carb engine and nice hood scoop are calling me. Maybe I need a third kit now.  :)

Edited by Johnt671
can't spell today!