Model Cars Magazine Forum

Posting Your Build on the Other Guy’s Thread

What is your opinion about posting pictures of your build on someone else’s work in progress or completed build thread?  I fell it’s their thread to tell the story of their project. 

I've done that before only to show that I had built the model but I don't put a whole mess of pictures up. I recently did it at Scale Auto for a bike someone was building. I had built the same bike years ago. But when you do it don't try to take the limelight away from him. In fact I just posted that bike on this forum recently. Anyway, the builder asked me how I did a certain effect on my model and I replied back telling him how I had done it. Some one else also pointed out an error I had made that I was easily able to fix. Then we became pen-pals and exchanged e-mail addresses and correspond back and forth on the other side of the planet.

Edited by Mike C

I do do it occasionally, but only if it backs up a point being discussed or something similar. Sometimes I just put a link if it's not critical to add a photo for the discussion.

I do try to be respectful of the builder ... it's his/her showcase.

I do do it occasionally, but only if it backs up a point being discussed or something similar. Sometimes I just put a link if it's not critical to add a photo for the discussion.

I do try to be respectful of the builder ... it's his/her showcase.

Same here. I don't do it as a rule, but once in a while there's a relevant point to be made.

I don't worry about it. It's just a discussion board. If someone does it to me, I don't care. If they get upset if I do it, I don't care. That being said, I would never do anything on here with the purpose of offending someone else. I'm sure I've done it by being tactless, clueless, etc., but it is never my purpose to set out to offend someone else.

I have noticed this happens from time to time. If someone is asking for opinions on how to do something, I think it is OK to post a photo or a link to your own thread that supports your explanation on how to do it. I don't think it is appropriate to post photos just to show you built the same model or what color combination you chose. It is inevitable that a certain percentage of threads will get hijacked or sidetracked by another persons random post or photo. Sometimes it fits with what is going on in the original thread, sometimes it goes way off track. It happens on every forum I am a member of, whether model, fish or photography. All you can hope for is that the individual members police themselves and refrain from doing this or joining in when a thread goes off track.

I try to avoid it as a rule, unless I'm offering a comparative view, or illustrating some other difference. Sometime it just makes sense to add a photo to the discussion, for various reasons, though I suspect that some do it as a means to just showcase their own stuff. 

We've got one guy here (I'm not naming names), who does this all the time with one particle model car he has on every post. I do find it rude. I've confronted the person to no avail. I can see ocasionally see posting your model if it is directly related to what has been posted, and enhances the discussion. 

If the post is of a completed build....and I have something to ADD by posting a build I will. If my build is somehow complementary or demonstrates a different option.....something helpful ....no issue. You post as 'mine is better' it's just passive aggressive.  Boils down to intent.....sharing or gloating.....

... (if you) post as 'mine is better' it's just passive aggressive.  Boils down to intent.....sharing or (being a jackass)...

:D Intent is everything. Honestly trying to help is one thing...screaming "look at me" is entirely different.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

We've got one guy here (I'm not naming names), who does this all the time with one particle model car he has on every post. I do find it rude. I've confronted the person to no avail. I can see ocasionally see posting your model if it is directly related to what has been posted, and enhances the discussion. 

I think I know who you are talking about, and in his defense the model he posts is a part of his signature. He's not trying to show up anyone... it's just in his signature line.

I just did this the other day, and only because I want to show a certain part. I still felt a bit funny about it. I would have ended up searching google and posting somebody else's photo to illustrate my point, so might as well use a photo of my own build if it's appropriate.

I think I know who you are talking about, and in his defense the model he posts is a part of his signature. He's not trying to show up anyone... it's just in his signature line.

Yes it is his signature line. I still find it rude, and selfish when I talked with him about it. In the long run do I care? If everybody else here is okay with it, I'm going to be okay with it. There are lots of things We don't like that We have to live with. The guy we're talking is a very minor irritation to me in long run.

I don't worry about it. It's just a discussion board. If someone does it to me, I don't care. If they get upset if I do it, I don't care. That being said, I would never do anything on here with the purpose of offending someone else. I'm sure I've done it by being tactless, clueless, etc., but it is never my purpose to set out to offend someone else.

Kind of the same way I've always thought about it.

It never bothered me if someone posted on one of my threads, but I guess if some people take issue with it, I'll try to avoid it from now on.

Although, just saying that does smack of political correctness.

I think we may already have enough rules on what should or should not be done or said to avoid "offending" someone.

Steve

Yes it is his signature line. I still find it rude, and selfish when I talked with him about it. In the long run do I care? If everybody else here is okay with it, I'm going to be okay with it. There are lots of things We don't like that We have to live with. The guy we're talking is a very minor irritation to me in long run.

One of the many reasons why I just went ahead and turned signatures off; being bombarded with the same images or bylines day after day, gets just a bit tiring.

I think much matters on the particular situation and how it is done. I've done it to others and I've had it done to me, 99% of the time I've been fine when it has been done in one of my posts, and I've never had anyone complain about my doing it in theirs, although in the second case I can't say it has never been a problem, because they might have been and the offended party was just too polite to say so.

I'd like to think most who do it are trying to be helpful offering encouragement or pointing out a problem area they ran into.