Model Cars Magazine Forum

Is it me or is it my builds?

I have got two builds going (72 Charger copy and 59 Buick) and I have noticed that there seems to be hardly any interest in both ! . This got me thinking that I have either upset most of the other builders or nobody is interested in me or my builds?

I did change my user name from Doobie to 72 Charger because I found out that Doobie ( A nickname given to me by a friend) has a drug link and as I don't have anything to do with that sort of thing I felt it prudent to change it.

I started the 1959 Buick build as a test to see if it was just the fact that the Dodge Charger was not a big flash R/T or HEMI car . So far it seams that no one is interested in commenting good OR bad on either build

So this leads me to think that everyone is simply avoiding me and my builds for some reason .

If this is true could someone enlighten me as to the problem they have with me . I have always been polite towards others builds and I have been a good trader . I love this hobby and have done now for 30 years and I did feel like a part of a big family . At the moment I feel like I have been snubbed and I am ready to throw all my models in the bin

Thanks Dave (72 Charger)

Dave, as you know I've been away for a month so I most likely missed your posts on the Charger and the Buick.  You shouldn't feel snubbed, and you definitely shouldn't throw your models away.  You are a good modeler.  Not every model appeals to every person, and I'm sure you haven't done anything to offend anyone here on the Forum.

Chin up my friend.

In my humble opinion, this happens to everyone at some point and often goes in cycles. I for one have to pick and choose which threads I get involved with. It is usually a subject that I am curious about or a build that I know I am going to do eventually. I am not a very good modeler, so I usually don't get involved with the technical builds and modifications that the more experienced builders do. There are also A LOT of active threads on this forum (which is a very good thing) and it is hard to keep up with them all. I usually mark the site read a few times a week, just so I don't have to go thru multiple pages of unread posts to find the few that are interesting to me. I wouldn't take it personal. I have a few threads going and they usually don't get much interest. I post the stuff I want others to see, if they comment fine and if they don't, that's fine too.

Don't throw your models in the bin. Build them because you want to. If you need input from others post up specific questions.

My first thought is to ponder why you would bin your models due to lack of posting in your threads... do you build to satisfy your own creative outlet or do you build to get attention from other builders?

I'm not picking on you, just want you to think about WHY you build.

I don't get massive amounts of traffic in threads I generate and that's okay with me because I build to suit my standards and creative outlets.

My last completed build was over 30 years ago but I'm slowly creeping up on getting my first "new" build done since my focus has returned to model building.

One of the common mantras on this site is "I build for me" and "I only build for fun", I invite you to take these to heart whether you build curb side or full blown detail down to the lint in the glove box.

I'm fairly certain there are members here that will appreciate some or all aspects of your build style.

I seldom comment on  "Under construction model kits and stuff Under Glass . It's NOT that I have a dislike of the subject ! I'm mostly a diorama person and even then , if I don't think the diorama has a professional look, I won't comment on them either

Hi Dave, you made me curious so I checked your build threads. You have 86 replies on the Charger thread, and 38 on the Buick. It may not seem like it, but that's a lot. Many of those comments were positive from very talented builders. There's a lot to look at on this forum, so the attention can get spread pretty thin. Relax and enjoy, nobody's ignoring you. :)

Yep, par for the course it seems. I ignore many build threads, especially if the subject has no interest to me personally. Sometimes the updates require no input. I mean, what am I supposed to say about yet another view of the engine, this time rotated 15°? (That's an extreme, and fictitious example, but I've been guilty of similar frivolous updates.)

I find that if you ask for opinions/ assistance, you'll tend to usually get more feedback. Otherwise, many views, and few comments, seems to be the norm on many sites that I frequent.

Something else to keep in mind, this is a very, very busy site, and with things changing so frequently, it can be hard to keep up. If I don't log on for a few days, the work in progress section can be three pages deep, and I just don't have the time or inclination to comment on them all, nor even a fraction of them.

Nice Charger & Buick builds, but in direct answer to your question, it's neither you nor your builds, it's topics that guys have a particular interest in or not.  For me, muscle cars in general aren't what yanks my attention, and in that vintage of GM car I prefer the Bonneville. But I'm assuming the Buick fans and Charger fans are tuning in even if you aren't aware of it. I don't follow all that many build threads, but I tune in here most every day and I click on the "take me to the last read post" in many posts that I recognize. The builder may not see me following him and I most likely won't comment, but I do see and appreciate the material. So, you'll have to have some trust on this instead of seeing follower count numbers and comment quality.

Thanks everyone for your feedback . Don't worry though I wont be binning my models they cost to much to replace :) I guess I'm in one of those low spots that we all get from time to time . The Buick has stalled and the Charger needs to have a new hood painted dew to a poor fit. But I'm sure normal service will resume shortly.

Thanks again EVERYONE

Dave

Hi Dave, you made me curious so I checked your build threads. You have 86 replies on the Charger thread, and 38 on the Buick. It may not seem like it, but that's a lot. Many of those comments were positive from very talented builders. There's a lot to look at on this forum, so the attention can get spread pretty thin. Relax and enjoy, nobody's ignoring you. :)

Wow! 86 replies on the Charger, and 38 on the Buick. Like you noted Hugh, that pretty darn good! I don't know what Dave is complaining about? Stop worrying Dave, and have fun building. As Hugh has pointed out, with the replies you've been getting, nobody is ignoring you.

Comment numbers are no more a measure of popularity than it is at a model show. A lot of people look at my models at shows but I don't expect many of them to comment. Doesn't mean they don't appreciate seeing them and it doesn't bother me being just a face in the crowd. Same on this forum.

Dave... Hang in there...not everyone is interested in a certain type of car which can make them lack interests at times. Me I like the Charger being a mostly 60s-70s kind of guy myself.  I remember building them when they were annual issued kits loved them.  I can find something I like about anyone's project or build even if its not my style...it all takes time and skills to build anything.  Me Ill have a day,week,etc. where I might not hear from many people here and the next it can be constant...LOL..   I understand your want to change your user name and the reason for it if you wanted to.  Me mine just pretty much describes me...LOL...!   Keep posting and building...just because there is little replies does not mean little interest in it. 

In any given sitting, I read between 10-20 threads. Usually one 15-20 minute visit a day, unless something I am really interested in is active. That is a small fraction of threads obviously, and I don't feel like I know more than a few people really well, so nothing is personal. As for your threads, I don't visit the the workbench forum because build threads don't interest me. Unless it is something I am currently building, and a Google search points me to it.

We are all just sharing our work here, not for approval, or to see how popular our threads can be. Acceptance, is nice among like minded modelers, but certainly not needed to enjoy our hobby. I've had threads that drew 300 views, but only 3 or 4 comments, its all good.:D

Cheers,

Lance 

Hey Dave, I agree with what most of what everyone has said, it seems to me that your "problem" is that, like me, your tastes lean more towards the lesser seen subjects of our hobby! If you put your focus on subjects that are so over-done that they become almost cliche you would get many more views and comments, but at the same time, by doing more obscure subjects the folks that take the time to look and comment appreciate your work much more than the ones that look in to see "just another..." model! So, just "do you", and realize that while there may be less interest over all, the interest that is there is better interest!!B)

Personally, it's the oddball stuff that catches my eye, but really, do what interests you.  If they like it, that's great, but if they don't get it, that's their loss.  It would be a sorry state of affairs if we had to run a focus group whenever we wanted to build something.