Model Cars Magazine Forum

Is it me or is it my builds?

Dave, you have to have a thicker skin my man.

First of all, you have to remember, there's about a million "works in progress" going on here at any given time.

I had to go back & look, but you haven't posted any progress on the Buick since March 7th!

That's well over 2 months ago!

Of course the interest has dried up, people have forgotten about it.

As far as the Charger goes, I think you have a lot of people following that one.

With well over 3,500 views, that is pretty evident.

People are watching, they're just not necessarily responding every time you post an update.

I posted the beginnings of a '65 Plymouth project on May first.

Haven't had a response in almost 2 weeks.

I also haven't updated anything in 2 weeks, so it only makes sense.

It's just the nature of the beast.

Steve

Dave, i have looked at your builds and I am not in under construction as much as I us to be.  It's getting to be warm weather and many of us are not spending as much time as in Fall and Winter. When it's real hot we will spend some more time on except when we have the yard work to do brother...

Well...............I have to say that I see many, many threads come and go on here on a daily basis. I'll admit that I'm a bit biased when it comes to modeling subjects. I'm not a street rod type of guy-----I don't hate them, I just don't get as excited over them as say something factory stock. Even with factory stock, if the car is not my cup of tea, I'm not likely to comment. 

Comments are nice, but I go by how many particular "hits" or "views" of a thread I started. To me the fact that folks are watching (not my own hit of the thread), says more than someone commenting. I have a thread going on right now of a '90 BMW 850i. It's straight out of the box (for the most part), and it hasn't generated as much excitement as my '59 Chevy, or '67 Mustang WIP's did. 

I expect that as for as far as it goes..........it's not a very exciting project-----I have no whiz-bang working features or opening everything going on with it. Just a relaxing, "sensible" build to get me through till I'm revved up to work on the next crazy thing.

What Ace-Garageguy said I echo wholeheartedly as well.............GOOD, CLEAR pics go a looooong way to ensure that someone will comment about what you're doing! Not to poke fun at any one particular person, but I've seen more than a few threads that don't have many comments even though the OP has many pics.

Why??

Because IMO the pics are really bad. Too dark, out of focus, or "too far away" to make out any nice details they may have.

Just my two cents worth on this very early Saturday morning! ;)

Edited by MrObsessive

So much happens here mate, it is hard to keep up, and if i am away for a couple of days,  i may never see your build if it is on the second or third page.

DO NOT let a forum get you down mate, build for your self!!!   I usually only show interest on the modified side of building, as OOB, really does not interest me at all,

neither does "stock", as i never grew up with these cars, so i have no real attachment to them like a lot of people on here.

Your builds are great, if you like them, THAT IS ALL THAT MATTERS...   

I have got two builds going (72 Charger copy and 59 Buick) and I have noticed that there seems to be hardly any interest in both ! . This got me thinking that I have either upset most of the other builders or nobody is interested in me or my builds?

I did change my user name from Doobie to 72 Charger because I found out that Doobie ( A nickname given to me by a friend) has a drug link and as I don't have anything to do with that sort of thing I felt it prudent to change it.

I started the 1959 Buick build as a test to see if it was just the fact that the Dodge Charger was not a big flash R/T or HEMI car . So far it seams that no one is interested in commenting good OR bad on either build

So this leads me to think that everyone is simply avoiding me and my builds for some reason .

If this is true could someone enlighten me as to the problem they have with me . I have always been polite towards others builds and I have been a good trader . I love this hobby and have done now for 30 years and I did feel like a part of a big family . At the moment I feel like I have been snubbed and I am ready to throw all my models in the bin

Thanks Dave (72 Charger)

Dave , I have heard a similar feelings expressed by others, and think from the response of others to this post you are getting a better idea of why someone might not look at your build or only visit and leave no remarks. I have a theory as to why this may be happening. I think that the reason that your post may have dropped down on to the second or third page with few visits has to do with the shire size of this Forum.  This is a big weekend here, and there will be more traffic than normal. But as each person views a post and say they leave a remark, that post now goes up to the top of page one. This person goes on and visits several other posts and leaves their remarks and then that post will go to the top. The person will look at several more and leave a remark or not, but even if it's only a few more that has moved your post further down the line. Now say there are several others visiting and making remarks on some ones build . This will put you on page three very fast and no fault of your own. I'm not offering a better plan because I just don't have one. But this is why I will go at least as deep page three on my visits for this very reason. Please don't let this get you down.  

My first thought is to ponder why you would bin your models due to lack of posting in your threads... do you build to satisfy your own creative outlet or do you build to get attention from other builders?

I'm not picking on you, just want you to think about WHY you build.

I don't get massive amounts of traffic in threads I generate and that's okay with me because I build to suit my standards and creative outlets.

My last completed build was over 30 years ago but I'm slowly creeping up on getting my first "new" build done since my focus has returned to model building.

One of the common mantras on this site is "I build for me" and "I only build for fun", I invite you to take these to heart whether you build curb side or full blown detail down to the lint in the glove box.

I'm fairly certain there are members here that will appreciate some or all aspects of your build style.

I build for me, and I only build for fun describes the way I feel. I enjoy what I build and if nobody else does, so be it.

I would not worry about it my friend, I think it's safe to say it happens to all of us every now and then. However, Just to give you some pointers that  I think would be a mutual benefit for both the builder, and the viewer would be to make sure you have decent pictures. Please have good steady quality pictures, multiple angles, and somewhat decent grammar. I cannot stress how many times I've attempted to read a sentence from a forum member, which hardly makes any sense. To be honest, this happens 80% of the time I attempt to read what a person is wanting to get across In a  model kit they've built. I'm not sure if it's laziness, or not enough of a proper education. I am not saying I'm perfect either, I'm sure an English professor can spot many mistakes within this paragraph ! Nonetheless, what you are experiencing happens thru cycles as the other guy mentioned earlier,especially if your building a run of the mill kit. Don't be so hard on yourself, and do not let anyone's opinion or lack of thereof affect your enjoyment of the hobby. I am fortunate enough to have my daughter use positive reinforcement on me whenever I complete a car lol. I know my builds are possibly a 7  out of 10, but as long as I'm happy with the paint job,  or detail work , I'm good with that :). I have decided a long time ago not to lose my mind in this hobby, otherwise it would become a chore.

Oh and please do not use cursive font style on your threads like many do on here! It's to hard to read. I tend too just glance at the pictures when this happens, and go to the next thread lol. Can I also say something else for those guys that claim they only build for themselves? I don't think that's completely true, if you only built for yourself you probably wouldn't be on this website, but I do understand it's the masculine thing to say. I do not think builders that claim they only build for themselves would bother posting pictures of their models on here if that was the case. If I were to take a guess I would say forum members do value others opinions to a certain extent. people post their works on here seeking to get some type of confirmation of their good work. There is nothing wrong with positive reinforcement, we desire it all the time. We seek positive reinforcement t in our careers, children, wife/ significant other, hobbies sports etc. if you've ever won a trophy, got a raise, got lucky on that date in which you've a

had your A game, or were told how good you were making a certain dish, well , you just experienced positive reinforcement. And its a beautiful feeling my friend .. ...... ???????

Edited by ERIK88

Can I also say something else for those guys that claim they only build for themselves? I don't think that's completely true, if you only built for yourself you probably wouldn't be on this website, but I do understand it's the masculine thing to say. I do not think builders that claim they only build for themselves would bother posting pictures of their models on here if that was the case. If I were to take a guess I would say forum members do value others opinions to a certain extent. people post their works on here seeking to get some type of confirmation of their good work.

I think what most people are referring to when they say that they build for themselves Erik, is that they are not building to compete or to gain approval from anyone else.

At least that's what I think of when I say it.

For instance, when I'm building an old annual kit with a "slab" chassis or a 3 piece interior, a lot of guys would swap chassis or do something different with the interior, especially if they're going to enter it in a show, even though they may not prefer to do it.

I generally build them as they are.

I understand that many of us would do those things regardless, but I build "for myself" with the intention of them going directly from the bench to my shelf & really have no thought of what anyone thinks of them.

Yes, I do enjoy the comradery & the back & forth of these forums, but it does not influence the way I build.

I think it would be difficult for anyone who builds for competition to claim that they are "building for themselves" or are at least not influenced by that situation.

Steve

Dave, I know a lot of the guys on the board in person, and I don't know if that's good or bad since I am a controversial person. :P    I build mostly light commercial, which is out of the interest of many here.  Sometimes my build threads go like 100 views, 2 comments. I just picture these guys clicking on my thread,  my truck comes into view,  they think, "Oooh, not a Hemi" and click out.  Do I care? No, I just laugh to myself.  

And note that the majority of people who read this board are lurkers who never post.  So you have gotten a lot of views from people who are following your thread but never speak.  Sometimes I get the feeling my posts are ignored, but then someone will stop me at a show to talk about one.  That tells me that people are reading.

I haven't been very active in the hobby the past few months as I've been concentrating on a year long project at work that just went "Live" last week.  Since NNL East my life has been Get up, go to work, come home, crash!  Repeat... and through most weekends.  I've been sleeping late three days over this  holiday weekend and I'm still exhausted!

Anyway, as others said the build threads I'm apt to follow are those that the work is progressing and regularly posted, especially when the title changes to reflect progress. I love armchair modeling as a spectator sport!

So hang tough!  

• 8 months later...

My point of view, this site goes so fast that the "top" of the list only gets seen.... The people "online" at the time get to see that "top topic", and reply and move on..... The lower topics on the list never get a lot of activity I think for that very reason! It could be just that simple too.......... 

Thats something I've noticed with my builds too, it goes in cycles that way.... IF your not active in that topic is falls off the notice level, if your one at "C" hour and not "D" hour those on at D hour are those to catch it, but those on at "C" hour, don't even know that anything is going on as they've done moved on within the site!

If its not at the top of the page a lot miss it (I'm guilty of it too!) Plus when your a site with the amount of activity that there is on here, things move on rather quickly! UNLESS you "follow" that build then its different!