Model Cars Magazine Forum

How di I make a Tube cassis?

I have styrine tubing ( round and square) and sheet  in all sizes,
want to learn some tips o how to bend the rods and not deform them and how to detriment how to make it all fit in the truck or car. Any info or links will be grateful

One suggestion I have from the beginning is to use solid rod and square stock rather than tubing; tubing deforms and kinks too easily.  I have used tubing in the past and have used floral wire inside to help keep it from kinking and help hold bends, but it is more pain and expense than using rod stock.  Another suggestion would be to get as many different angle reference photos of what you are trying to build and start experimenting with bending and fitting until you have something resembling what you are after.  One thing I have learned from experience is to expect some waste, it is almost impossible to cut and bend a piece of rod to the exact dimensions; be prepared to cut off excess.  I use a candle and just quickly wave the stock back and forth over the flame in the area I want the bend while gently applying pressure with my thumbs against the stock.  You will overheat a piece or two, when you do, just lay it aside because you will probably be able to use portions of it later.  By applying gentle pressure you will gain a feel for when the styrene is becoming pliable and know when to not use any more heat.  As with most aspects of modeling bending styrene stock is a bit of trial and error, but is quite rewarding when you get your first full roll-cage or tubing frame completed.  Once you do get one done you will be looking for other ways to use this stock in your building. Hope this helps a little bit.

The best way is to study real race cars in the classes you're interested in. Learn why tubes are where they are, and the relationships of things to other things on the chassis and to the body of the car. Then take all that and learn to plan ahead and measure. Thinking is good too.

Click here.     https://www.google.com/search?q=race+car+tube+chassis&safe=off&espv=2&biw=1600&bih=775&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjj4_zuz_vMAhVMRSYKHUZECKEQ_AUIBigB

I use a candle just like Rick mentions above.  However I create the bend in the solid rod first.  Then while holding the correct bend I pass it over the candle.  When I feel the stressed relieved I remove it from the heat.  Once cooled this sets the shape.  I find I have fewer overheating mistakes with this method.

I made these headers with this method.

DSCN1214.JPGDSCN1235.JPG

I've yet to build a chassis but I have a project that needs it (I think I'm scared to pull the trigger). So I've looked at quite a few YouTube vids on it so that's a good way to go I think
The candle method is popular on them for heating the styrene.
I also suggest searching the various forums. There are a few tutorials out there that go into detail that I've bookmarked for myself.  
Good luck Justin.