Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ford F350 Dually & Auto Hauler FINALLY a decent update August 19, 2016

I finally figured what I'm going to do next.....I intend to build this one along side my Transtar 5 car hauler I have in the works.....Doing them at the same time will, actually keep me from rushing....As I'll have something else to do while I'm waiting for stuff to dry, etc.....

I got a few things from Danny at Scenes Unlimited, and I'm now, ready to start.....I even got a fifth wheel hitch (Not pictured) for the car hauler.....Can't wait to get to that part......Should be quite fun.....I can't decide whether to build a 4 or 5 car hauler, yet.....I think I want the 5.....

Anyway....I hoped to get some paint laid down, but we got more rain today.....So, I guess assembly will be all I can do.....No matter....There's plenty to do there, anyway.....I'll be getting started, tomorrow.....

20160518_120023_zpsiispfgx6.jpg

20160518_120206_zpsardqm89l.jpg

Edited by kilrathy10

Well, work has begun....Danny's dually bed pieces are outstanding.....They fit like they were a kit option that came in the box.....Totally satisfied with the look.....Even got some paint slapped on...I'll be clearing everything after it dries overnight.......After all the rain we got last night, I was shocked to see how much sun we got, today.....

20160528_122934_zpsaawkhja9.jpg

20160528_123522_zpsirb31eoo.jpg

20160528_125537_zpspmdozknx.jpg

20160528_190209_zps7rtvrxwe.jpg

Edited by kilrathy10

JT,

Some info for you...I built one of these MENG F-350's a couple of years ago.  It went together great except for the fit of the side windows. You have to trim about 1/16' off the bottom of the windows so that the interior tub fits up into the cab right.  I just positioned the windows in place and held them with one hand while I used a panel scribe to mark the proper profile on the glass then cut it off with a razor saw.

This is a great kit to build and I always wanted to build another one but didn't know how to do something different to justify it.  With dually setup and fifth wheel for a trailer idea you have given me what I needed, thanks.  Will follow your build closely.

One other thing that I am sure you would pick up but I will mention anyway.  You have to file the taillight lens at a 45 degree angle on the backside so that they fit "into" the fender tighter, not stick out on top.

JT,

Some info for you...I built one of these MENG F-350's a couple of years ago.  It went together great except for the fit of the side windows. You have to trim about 1/16' off the bottom of the windows so that the interior tub fits up into the cab right.  I just positioned the windows in place and held them with one hand while I used a panel scribe to mark the proper profile on the glass then cut it off with a razor saw.

This is a great kit to build and I always wanted to build another one but didn't know how to do something different to justify it.  With dually setup and fifth wheel for a trailer idea you have given me what I needed, thanks.  Will follow your build closely.

One other thing that I am sure you would pick up but I will mention anyway.  You have to file the taillight lens at a 45 degree angle on the backside so that they fit "into" the fender tighter, not stick out on top.

Cool....Thanks for the heads up on those items......I appreciate it......That's one of the biggest reasons I love this forum.....Thanks, Carl....

sweet! like the dually. 

wanted to build one of the meng's to replicate my dad's truck, but his is a dually.

you scratchin' the car hauler or....?

Yep.....Scratchin' another one up........I'm going for a 5 car hauler similar to this one, this time.....Wish I had a better shot, but I can't find the other one I had....

20160407_073029_zpsp6l1cn1q.jpg

20160407_072959_HDR_zpsyqyjbb4u.jpg

Edited by kilrathy10

Looks pretty good so far,what color did you use for the body?,or is that just primer?

I used Duplicolor Hemi Orange for the paint.....Because of our extraordinarily high humidity, it almost always dries flat....After I hit it with Future floor polish, all is well....

Edited by kilrathy10

Got the main chassis work done.....Time to get to the engine.....Unfortunately, I just realized that I need a spare for this baby to match Danny's dual rims and tires....I may have to borrow one from my Monogram Ford dually......Can't see breaking up a set just for a spare.....Oh well.....The chassis went together quite smoothly....Very good fits all around.....

JT, lookin good so far! The Meng truck looks so much better as a dually, and Danny flares sure make it easy!

Looking forward to your progress on the hauler 

X ' s2  Nice work on the chassis JT !

Be Well

Gator

Got the main chassis work done.....Time to get to the engine.....Unfortunately, I just realized that I need a spare for this baby to match Danny's dual rims and tires....I may have to borrow one from my Monogram Ford dually......Can't see breaking up a set just for a spare.....Oh well.....The chassis went together quite smoothly....Very good fits all around.....

20160531_205046_zpsotwhz8io.jpg

Looks awesome. Makes me want to get working on mine again. And yes, Danny's dually fenders are top notch. They turn the Meng kit into a whole new truck and you're right, other than the resin colour they look as if they were a stock part of the kit.

As for the spare, why not just email Danny and see if you can order a single? Or see if he has a reject that's good on one side since the bad side would be up against the bottom of the bed anyways.

Love the colour too. Will be watching.

David

Edited by Jhedir6

Looks awesome. Makes me want to get working on mine again. And yes, Danny's dually fenders are top notch. They turn the Meng kit into a whole new truck and you're right, other than the resin colour they look as if they were a stock part of the kit.

As for the spare, why not just email Danny and see if you can order a single? Or see if he has a reject that's good on one side since the bad side would be up against the bottom of the bed anyways.

David

That's a good idea, Man.....That's a good idea....Thanks, Buddy....

David

That's a good idea, Man.....That's a good idea....Thanks, Buddy....

If that doesn't work out JT, let me know. I have at 5 or 6 of the Monogram duallys, and I know I ordered a set of resin Alcoas for one of them! :D I'm sure that I'd probably have one you could have. 

Also, just as an FYI, the best for the spare rim would be an outer rear if you are mounting under the bed. I'm not 100% sure since my 1:1 1990 dually doesn't have a spare, but I'm pretty sure the spare would have the lug holes nearest to the bed. 

Guess what I just noticed JT, I just happened to have one of my Monogram F350s floating around the model desk, and Monogram was smart enough to include 3 outer rear wheels in the kit, one for the spare! :D It would have just been nice if they wouldn't have left the molding of the axle shaft end in the center! :rolleyes:

I'm not sure about the last body style but the current Super Duty trucks would mount the spare with the center down. Less cranking on the winch and if it were mounted the other way I don't think the winch would be able to pull it tight. So a front wheel would be more accurate.