Model Cars Magazine Forum

Model Master Engine Colors

I tend to use Model Master Dodge engine blue and Ford engine blue. No matter how much I mix it or shake i tend to get light and dark shades from a not old bottle. It is thick also and i thin it. Is there an easier way to get a couple of colors that do both or one. ??? Do any body else mix theirs or is there a color close enough out of the bottle that works.??? Does any one else that has this problem??  I do leave my bottles upside down from advice of fellow builders.... 

I 2nd what Bill is saying . You'll also be dollars ahead by purchasing an aerosol can of engine paint versus the individual bottles . Personally , I just spray the paint right from the can .

Regarding Chrysler Engine Blue ; there are at least 3 distinct shades of blue which Chrysler used from c.1965 - c.1983 :

- 1965-1968 Turquoise 

- 1969-1971 Blue

- 1972-1983 Blue

There are two shades of Ford Engine Blue that I'm aware of : Light and Dark . The change from dark to light happened some-time in the early-mid 70's , but I couldn't tell you exactly when .

I'm hardly a Ford or Chrysler expert, but what I have used is Tamiya X-14 sky blue or TS-10 French Blue or TS-23 Lt. Blue. To my eye they look close enough. For someone who has to be dead on then the factory type spray cans might be the best.  

"Ford Blue" is a bit of a myth. Ford basically painted their engines with what ever paint they had that was close. So Ford Blue can vari depending on where the engine was built and when. I'm willing to bet this was pretty much true with other manufactures too. I go with what looks right to me. Then let the rivet counters argue over it from there.

I'm hardly a Ford or Chrysler expert, but what I have used is Tamiya X-14 sky blue or TS-10 French Blue or TS-23 Lt. Blue. To my eye they look close enough. For someone who has to be dead on then the factory type spray cans might be the best.  

So you use one of the three for Ford and Chrysler blue??

Carl, this is what I've used for Ford Engine Blue............

19:486120679049

Never had a problem with color separation, and it's what I used on my '67 Mustang WIP. Of course, you may want to decant it into a jar and airbrush it, but it works quite well.

What do you use for Chrysler Blue Bill....

In extreme cases, you can go to 1:1 car parts suppliers, like Year One, for the correct paint. They do charge a premium though. That is where I got the correct turquoise color for the big block in one of my '67 Chargers.

Ford blue is not a myth. There are 2 Ford blue used in the 60's. The following link will help to define the difference. And yes, as the owner of a full size 1966 full size Mercury S55 vert and someone who grew up in the northwest berbs of Motown with dads of friends and neighbors who were  middle to high ranking Ford personnel, I know what I'm talking about. The link:  http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/paint-body/mump-0308-select-correct-vintage-mustang-engine-paint/

Ford blue is not a myth. There are 2 Ford blue used in the 60's. The following link will help to define the difference. And yes, as the owner of a full size 1966 full size Mercury S55 vert and someone who grew up in the northwest berbs of Motown with dads of friends and neighbors who were  middle to high ranking Ford personnel, I know what I'm talking about. The link:  http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/paint-body/mump-0308-select-correct-vintage-mustang-engine-paint/

Great link Doug i saved it thanks...

Edited by slusher

I also have had issues with MM engine paint, their Pontiac blue paint is just bad. no matter what I do to it. Never had this concern with my old paint jars. I think they may have change something in the mix.. I stopped using the bottles and now use regular engine spray paint as stated above