Model Cars Magazine Forum

please explain

bubbaman

If a diecast model is already assembled there would not be anything to do except take it apart and perhaps paint it another color or detail it.  There are Unassembled diecasts which are usually prepainted and do not require the level of effort of a plastic or resin kit.  Resin kits are made in small batches and may be a complete body or just a body or a transit.  The caster makes the parts you need to combine with a pre-existing plastic kit to make something is not available as a kit from the current major kit manufacturers.  Metal kits have their limitations (thick castings) but for a quick build a prepainted body can reduce assembly time a lot.  I'd guess most modelers prefer plastic or resin (more expensive) to build something unique in the color they want and resin models provide the opportunity to build a model of a kit long out of production without collector prices.  This a a broad simplification but it gives you an idea of the breadth of the hobby. 

do you guy`s make  diecast from kits or just buy an assembled  model - and what is resin cast ??    THANKS

Three basic possibilities:

1. You can buy prefinished diecast models and just put them on your display shelf. No work involved.

2. You can take an existing assembled diecast model, take it apart, and modify, detail, and repaint it any way you want.

3. There are also some diecast kits available that have to be assembled just like "regular" plastic kits.

Pick the level of involvement you like!

Three basic possibilities:

1. You can buy prefinished diecast models and just put them on your display shelf. No work involved.

2. You can take an existing assembled diecast model, take it apart, and modify, detail, and repaint it any way you want.

3. There are also some diecast kits available that have to be assembled just like "regular" plastic kits.

Pick the level of involvement you like!

I do somewhere between 1 and 2. When I find a cheap diecast of a car I like and the body shape is pretty good, I buy it and spend a couple hours doing some paint detailing on wheels, grille, chrome trim, and so forth. This little bit of work can really bring these things to life! It's a cheap, easy, FUN way to fill some gaps on my shelf.

Here's an example:

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/103239-67-sting-ray-roadster-and-bonus-63-coupe/

Edited by Snake45

And to further elaborate on "resin cast"...there are complete resin kits also available of some rare and interesting subjects hat the injection-molded-plastic industry couldn't justify expending the $$ necessary to tool for mass production.

American Racing Miniatures and Historic Racing Miniatures are two companies that produce complete 1/24 multi-media kits (primarily resin-cast, but including photo-etched and other types of parts as well) of very fine quality.

DSC04461.jpg

wpeA11.jpg      hbcdcblt1.jpg

HRM (and others) also produce resin "trans-kits" to convert a styrene model into another version of a similar car not offered in styrene. rtRoadsterbyG.jpg

Resin is a popular medium for rather a lot of European racing (and other) cars in 1/43 scale as well. There are some incredibly detailed cast-metal kits in this scale too.

386ede773e5876e11434ca9ab0a1e939.jpg

• 2 months later...

As above, there are many avenues of approach to get to the desired result. I am usually building some thing that never existed but I think would have been cool if it did or something that existed but no one manufactures as yet. Here is hopefully a link to one of my builds to give you an idea of some working methods.